Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Off your bike due to illness or injury - Mentally devastated

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-24, 09:19 AM
b88

Bikes: Specialized

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts

How many bike fanatics out there practically sleep in your cycle gear. Weather couldn’t stop me. The nastier the weather the better, an excuse to test out all this ridiculous gear I acquired.

Then the unspeakable illness hit me. Over a year off the bikes and no gym. Tried a couple 20 min rides and sent me into a crash. Last summer nearly killed me mentally. Seeing all the cyclists out while even a short walk would have me reaching for an inhaler. Even got rid of my wahoo kickr because I hit a wall every time after.

You ever been kicked off your bikes for extended period of time.
Old 03-24-24, 10:54 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Been off the bike fr a period of 3 mos. with hand surgery. Another time about 2 mos. with rotator cuff surgery. Another time I was doing a chemo regime, fell on the road bike and cracked a knee cap. The oncology nurses reamed me a new one, telling me if I missed a session due to an injury, I would have needed to restart the whole thing. I stayed off the bike for 4 mos. that time. In the end, I always just waited it out and didn’t complain, then got back out when the Doc. said it was OK. Is there any other choice ?
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 03-24-24, 10:58 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
I spent last summer off the bike due to a C2 vertebra fracture. It will take a few months to regain fitness this summer
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 03-24-24, 11:01 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
...I lost about 5 years once, from age 50-55, to a mysterious illness. Mine eventually cleared up, if that is any encouragement. I, too, use exercise as a mood management tool. I think a lot of people do. 20 minute ride and an exercise induced collapse afterward sounds like some sort of CFIDS or other similar condition. The research is mixed on these syndromes. But maybe you have something else going on. It's important to avoid those crashes, and endure the waiting using other mental management tools for depression.

There are a ton of books out there on dealing with something like this. Most of them are useless. This one, Full Catastrophe Living, I found moderately helpful.
Old 03-24-24, 11:02 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Really sorry to hear about your health challenge and how it is driving you crazy. Being addicted to an outdoor passion and being denied is a cruel form of torture. Hang in there and hope your condition improves.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 03-24-24, 11:06 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11971 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
I’ve been there, yes it’s tough. Lyme disease banged me around for years, I couldn’t take a 20 mile ride without needing 3 or 4 days to recover, just wasn’t worth it. After a few years I just got used to it.

Mostly.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 03-24-24, 12:15 PM
b88

Originally Posted by BillyD
I’ve been there, yes it’s tough. Lyme disease banged me around for years, I couldn’t take a 20 mile ride without needing 3 or 4 days to recover, just wasn’t worth it. After a few years I just got used to it.

Mostly.
So you just power through these days?

I think suffering a bit in the aftermath is better than physically declining due to inactivity.
Old 03-24-24, 12:36 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 288 Posts
Removal of 3 cervical disc, C-4 through C-7 fusion.
Getting diagnosed, testing, surgery all set be back 3 years. Two years, two different neurologists, one spine surgeon, one year PT and I'm finally back to easy riding.

Likes For Desert Ryder:
Old 03-24-24, 02:07 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
Started having issues in 2018 figured out that my feet were the issue. Pain came on slowly until you realize you can't do much of anything other than work. Right foot surgery in late 2020. Had issues and another surgery in 2022 . Finally was able to ride some last year . Only 250 miles over the summer but it is a start. Left foot started giving me fits this winter. Back to the podiatrist. I'm scheduled for surgery Thursday morning on the left foot will be July before I can think about riding again 🥴
Old 03-24-24, 02:10 PM
b88

Originally Posted by plumberroy
Started having issues in 2018 figured out that my feet were the issue. Pain came on slowly until you realize you can't do much of anything other than work. Right foot surgery in late 2020. Had issues and another surgery in 2022 . Finally was able to ride some last year . Only 250 miles over the summer but it is a start. Left foot started giving me fits this winter. Back to the podiatrist. I'm scheduled for surgery Thursday morning on the left foot will be July before I can think about riding again 🥴
What kind of foot issues require surgery on both. 🤔
Old 03-24-24, 02:14 PM
b88

Originally Posted by Desert Ryder
Removal of 3 cervical disc, C-4 through C-7 fusion.
Getting diagnosed, testing, surgery all set be back 3 years. Two years, two different neurologists, one spine surgeon, one year PT and I'm finally back to easy riding.

Good grief. That’s sounds like some painful riding. Best of luck, glad to hear you’re back on the bike.
Old 03-24-24, 02:27 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by b88
What kind of foot issues require surgery on both. 🤔
Bunions complicated by bones build up from arthritis. 40 years of construction and maintenance work. Joint between the big toe and foot will be broke grind the bone down and put back together with plates and screws this time they are going to do similar to the little toe side. In 2020 they did same thing to the right foot. Put titanium rod in the toe next to the big toe. Then in May of 22 they removed the sesamoid bones on the right foot because of constant inflammation.. I was doing okay on the left side until January of this year. Got with my Doctor and am getting it taken of. The doctor is concerned that if not taken care of. Because it causes me to change the way I walk it could damage my knee
Likes For plumberroy:
Old 03-24-24, 02:40 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I was off my two wheelers for a few months post rotator cuff surgery. I bought (and then sold) a tadpole recumbent and it was a satisfactory substitute. I lost a few hundred dollars in the transactions, but it was worth it having wheels for a few months. Actually a fun change of pace and I'm very glad I tried it. Not fun enough to keep in the long run - too large to store and a hassle to transport (I used a small utility trailer). I'll definitely do that again if I can't ride a two wheeler,

Might also be worth thinking about for those with neck, back, shoulder or even foot issues. A decent one is not cheap - i.e. you can get a $500 three wheeler but it is an POS overgrown kid's trike. But $2-3,000 new will get you something you'd be happy with, half that used if you can find it. From what I've seen, the used market will recoup you a decent percentage of what you spend.

Last edited by Camilo; 03-24-24 at 02:53 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 03-24-24, 03:00 PM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts
Hands and wrists developed intense pain, which forced me to only ride bikes set up to be upright enough that there was no weight on the hands. Then a few months later intense back pain appeared, and made riding seemingly impossible. That was quite the dark period. After a few months decided to try and make a full-suspension MTB as upright as possible, and found I could ride again. The pain has gotten more manageable as time goes on, but still can't ride a rigid bike for anything more than a short test ride.
Old 03-24-24, 03:11 PM
b88

Originally Posted by Camilo
I was off my two wheelers for a few months post rotator cuff surgery. I bought (and then sold) a tadpole recumbent and it was a satisfactory substitute. I lost a few hundred dollars in the transactions, but it was worth it having wheels for a few months. Actually a fun change of pace and I'm very glad I tried it. Not fun enough to keep in the long run - too large to store and a hassle to transport (I used a small utility trailer). I'll definitely do that again if I can't ride a two wheeler,

Might also be worth thinking about for those with neck, back, shoulder or even foot issues. A decent one is not cheap - i.e. you can get a $500 three wheeler but it is an POS overgrown kid's trike. But $2-3,000 new will get you something you'd be happy with, half that used if you can find it. From what I've seen, the used market will recoup you a decent percentage of what you spend.
Originally Posted by Arrowana
Hands and wrists developed intense pain, which forced me to only ride bikes set up to be upright enough that there was no weight on the hands. Then a few months later intense back pain appeared, and made riding seemingly impossible. That was quite the dark period. After a few months decided to try and make a full-suspension MTB as upright as possible, and found I could ride again. The pain has gotten more manageable as time goes on, but still can't ride a rigid bike for anything more than a short test ride.
I had to park my flat bar bikes after finding out the pressure due to wrist angle was causing strain. I switched to drop bars which keep my wrists more straight. At least there’s more choices on where to hold.
Likes For b88:
Old 03-24-24, 03:39 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
Stuff happens. I don’t often get put off by illness or injury, but I often have to travel on short notice, and for extended periods. These trips usually come when I have just gotten into good shape, and when I return I have to start all over again. It’s all good.
Old 03-24-24, 04:31 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,569 Times in 7,335 Posts
What is the unspeakable illness you speak of?
Old 03-24-24, 04:32 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 682 Times in 328 Posts
Okay so I get annoyed if I miss a training session or two due to other life commitments, or I am ill for a week. The posts in this thread have really put that into perspective for me!
Old 03-24-24, 04:51 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by b88
I had to park my flat bar bikes after finding out the pressure due to wrist angle was causing strain. I switched to drop bars which keep my wrists more straight. At least there’s more choices on where to hold.
I also think drop bar bikes - on the hoods especially - hold the wrists in a natural position. Look at your hands hanging at your sides. Hoods and drops on a handlebar are closer to that than a flat bar handlebar.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 03-24-24, 06:20 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
What is the unspeakable illness you speak of?
Guessing it’s Covid/long covid.
Likes For datlas:
Old 03-24-24, 07:10 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
yes. it’s difficult. almost all of my fully discretionary time revolved around cycling, planning rides, reading, buying bikes or parts or working on bikes. the actual riding, 150+ miles a week, was obviously the best part but i did pretty quickly get to a point where if I didn’t get four rides in a week in including a 60+ miler on the weekend, or if my average speed dropped a lot, or no big climbs, I felt like I wasn’t pushing hard enough. having to stop anything resembling high intensity completely has been very hard to adjust to, as well as the knowledge that short of a heart transplant, this is it for the rest of my life.

on the plus side, more time for other things, and the personal challenge of finding satisfaction in something without going “all the way.” it’s a process that takes a mindful strategy, I think, you can’t just wing it. I decided against cold turkey even though it has been very tempting. so far I’ve only sold one bike.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 03-24-24, 07:40 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Guessing it’s Covid/long covid.
t really sucks, wife and I picked up a cold before getting covid and finishing it off with the flue over the course of 3 weeks in Dec. I had a lot of tiredness after but needing to lose weight and worried about what this season would look like I joined a gym just before the new year and have been trying to power through. The result is that I'm physically in better shape but get more exhausted in the evenings and while I'm riding slightly faster, I'm having a persistent issue where I can't breathe deeply enough and feel constantly short of breath while riding.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 03-24-24, 07:41 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,569 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by tempocyclist
Okay so I get annoyed if I miss a training session or two due to other life commitments, or I am ill for a week. The posts in this thread have really put that into perspective for me!
As I’ve explained more times than I really cared to, this time last year I was learning how to walk again after more than two months off my feet. When I was lifted from the bed via a Hoyer in January so an aide could change my sheets, I looked at my emaciated legs and didn’t thought that would never be possible. I was finally able to ride a total of 44 miles during two rides in October.

This was the view from my rehab bed for two months.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-24-24, 07:45 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Covid took half marathons away from me but the cycling was pretty much OK. Six months later got Covid again. After the third case of Covid, cycling has gotten harder, but what the hell, I'll keep going. And there is a relationship between exercise and mental health. I'm a grumpy SOB when I can't get out and exercise.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 03-24-24, 07:48 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz

This was the view from my rehab bed for two months.

Again, the relationship between exercise and happy is real. That was a piss poor view to look at. Hopefully things are better.

Likes For Chuck M:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.