Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Mike Garcia or Kysrium SL3's?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Mike Garcia or Kysrium SL3's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-08, 03:11 AM
azdroptop

Bikes: 03 Lemond, 08 S-works Tarmac SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have sl3's and paid a bit less for them new on ebay. They have been fantastic wheels so far and are still perfectly true over 5K miles later. I weigh 171 now, but last year during the season I was 178 to 183. I hear mavic are a pain if you break a spoke, but so far they have been great for me. I'd buy another set.
Old 02-07-08, 09:49 AM
covenant
Platinum Edition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RC2
I'm missing the point about communication... are wheel builders hard to talk to?
https://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...d.php?t=119310

and MG nevers answers emails......never.....ever. Why even post the address on the website?
Old 02-07-08, 01:20 PM
RC2

Bikes: Specialized, Moots, Bridgestone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by covenant
https://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...d.php?t=119310

and MG nevers answers emails......never.....ever. Why even post the address on the website?
Now I'm totally missing the point. One guy out of how many who build wheels as a trade, like several thousand? The guys I've used to build wheels had a great command of the English language.

Because 1 guy who builds wheels in CA doesn't answer his email/etc isn't a reason to assume: "wheel builders can't do business well because they can't communicate, therefore I'm going to buy factory built McWheels from Coloradocyclist or Excel or...".

Find a local builder and think Outside the Bun.
Old 02-07-08, 01:34 PM
JayC
Guadzilla

Bikes: Pinarello F4:13 W/Campy Reecord & Blue RC6 W/SRAM Force

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RC2
Find a local builder and think Outside the Bun.
Cant really argue with that.. Ive had several wheels built locally. Some have been really good, some havent.. thing is, you sort of get sold a bill of goods when you talk to guys that build wheels. Everyone is "the man" until the build is done and you start having problems.

I had a set of wheels built a while back that were really overbuilt for me and they popped when you stood up to climb.. found out the guy doesnt use a tension gauge when he builds wheels. I ended up having to buy a tension gauge and retension all the spokes and that solved my problems.

But, on the other hand, I had a set of wheels built elsewhere that were trouble free and I've sent others to the same guy and they've had good luck as well.
Old 02-07-08, 01:50 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Given any off the shelf wheel at a certain price point- I would always go hand built. There are wheel builders and builders so you have to pick the right one. Exceptions come in when you start talking $$$$'s but I was loaned a pair of The cheap Krysiums whilst My wheel builder Built up a pair of Bombproof Training wheels. 105 hubs-36 DT spokes and Mavic CXP33 rims. Compared to the OM wheels the Krysiums were fantastic. Compared to the Krysiums- The Training wheels are unbelievable- at around half the price aswell. He then tweaked a set of Ultegra wheels and What a difference.

Just find the Wheel builder.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-07-08, 01:54 PM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by RC2
I'm missing the point about communication... are wheel builders hard to talk to? Last I used was Tim at Colonel's in Fort Worth and he had a firm grasp of english at least.

Anyway, good point about the instant gratification of order-ship for the McWheel. I typically order hubs, spokes, rims from ebay, AEBike, (a great Chris King supplier from seattle is aspire velotech, has everything in stock/all colors/good service). Couple days, stuff arrives. Let builder know it's coming, and wheels are built often the same day I bring stuff in (next day worst case). That's pretty close to instant gratification, + choice of each part/color/size/# holes/lacing pattern on the wheel (or let the builder do it) and avoid the McWheel altogether.
Though I haven't had wheels built at Colonel's, in my experience it is a pretty exceptional shop, a few standard deviations above the norm. The other guy's point about making sure your local builder is good applies; I wouldn't hesitate to have Tim (or others at Colonel's) build me a set of wheels. Other shops? Depends...
Old 02-07-08, 04:45 PM
jvan12345

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have two sets of MG wheels. Apparently some people have had bad experiences with their wheels. I have not. The wheels have been through countless crits, road races and training miles and have held up great. I'm also not the smallest guy out there either at 6'4" and 190-195. I guess in the end, YMMV...

As for MG not answering emails...how about using the phone? Seems to work for me most of the time.
Old 02-07-08, 04:49 PM
covenant
Platinum Edition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RC2
Now I'm totally missing the point....Because 1 guy who builds wheels in CA doesn't answer his email/etc isn't a reason to assume: "wheel builders can't do business well because they can't communicate, therefore I'm going to buy factory built McWheels from Coloradocyclist or Excel or...".
The point of the thread is "Mike Garcia or McWheels"

Given the OPs two options, I'd choose McWheels.

back on track?
Old 02-07-08, 04:55 PM
Phantoj
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RC2
McWheels are boring.
Boring wheels are best. I want all my components to be completely boring. Nasty surprises I can do without.
Old 02-07-08, 06:47 PM
Brian6751

Bikes: Fuji Newest 4.0 (my first road bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, after a little more research and your help, I have decided to get a apir of 30x's from Williams Cycling. Thanks guys.
Old 02-07-08, 07:18 PM
RC2

Bikes: Specialized, Moots, Bridgestone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by covenant
The point of the thread is "Mike Garcia or McWheels"

Given the OPs two options, I'd choose McWheels.

back on track?
...and then the conversation seemed to take an illuminating turn: perhaps in the ~$500 range, there are actually BETTER options (pause for gasps) than McKsyrium or an over-booked builder in CA. Awfully self-indulgent of us, though thinking outside the bun can occasionally lead to better results than following a bunch of bleaters. Baa-aa-aa-aa.
Old 04-09-08, 12:25 PM
covenant
Platinum Edition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nevermind....old thread

Last edited by covenant; 04-09-08 at 12:43 PM.