Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike probably too big. How much can I shorten stem?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bike probably too big. How much can I shorten stem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-08, 06:21 PM
Hendley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being too *short* can cause back pain too, especially in the upper back. The TT sounds right for your size (depending on inner leg etc...) Especially considering your shallow drop, I'd say try a longer stem...
Old 02-11-08, 07:12 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 275 Posts
Sounds like your bike is the right size TT wise. What is your inseam and how long/short are your arms? I'd say you need at least a 4-5 cm drop to the reach you need and move your back out of that pressure point that is causing you pain.

I'm 6'2 with 34.5" legs and long as arms. I ride a 55 frame and 130 stem w/ about 5" drop. My other bike is a 58 frame, and a 105 stem with about the same drop. The smaller frame climbs better then the larger one for me. Both are agressive fits but I'm pretty flexable in all positions on the bars.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 02-11-08, 07:37 PM
abqhudson
Ti #18 Senior.

Bikes: Serotta Concours

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 2 cents.

It seems to me that your toptube is in the correct ballpark for someone your size. Have you flipped your stem up to raise the bars? Are the bars at their max height? I would suggest that you not go shorter than 100 for a first cut. YMMV.
Old 02-12-08, 08:04 AM
whitemax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
A 2 cm drop with 57tt and you are 6'1"? You must be all torso and short legged then. I am 6'1" and ride a 57.5cm tt with 110mm stem and I am not particularly flexible. How long is your head tube and what is your cycling inseam?
OP, you can ride a 80mm stem with no adverse effect to handling so don't sweat that. As the other guys attested, most that are over 6' tall have at least a 57cm top tube so your bike isn't too big.
I believe the headtube is 21 cm and I have some spacers on top of that. I have been told that I have long femurs. Not sure what my inseam is but I wear 34 length pants if that correlates to anything meaningful. So shortening the stem will not affect the handling of the bike drastically? That is good to know.
Old 02-12-08, 08:07 AM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hendley
Being too *short* can cause back pain too, especially in the upper back. The TT sounds right for your size (depending on inner leg etc...) Especially considering your shallow drop, I'd say try a longer stem...
Hmmm, seems like lengthening the stem as you suggested would stretch me out even further. As I said before, I don't ride in the drops much, so drop of the bars really doesn't matter all that much does it?
Old 02-12-08, 08:39 AM
RC2

Bikes: Specialized, Moots, Bridgestone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whitemax, I have lower back pain too (result of an old skiing injury where I pulled/tore some muscles - I've been back thru physical therapy a couple times). When getting into road cycling in the 90's, I had pain and played with bar positioning, but didn't find relief.

The secret for me is core strengthening. I do a set of several excersizes to strenghen my core/back (abs are key too), and stretch the muscles if I feel any signs of tightness or pain. You might try this.
Old 02-12-08, 11:06 AM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RC2
Whitemax, I have lower back pain too (result of an old skiing injury where I pulled/tore some muscles - I've been back thru physical therapy a couple times). When getting into road cycling in the 90's, I had pain and played with bar positioning, but didn't find relief.

The secret for me is core strengthening. I do a set of several excersizes to strenghen my core/back (abs are key too), and stretch the muscles if I feel any signs of tightness or pain. You might try this.
I've been doing exercises and stretching as I said in my OP. Planks, back extensions, sit up/crunches, hamstring stretches...I been doin em.
Old 02-12-08, 11:37 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I would monkey around with a ton of different modifications on your own. Then, if nothing seems to work, I'd try a professional fitting at a reputable shop. And if that doesn't work, try synchronized water ballet.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 02-12-08, 12:11 PM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
I would monkey around with a ton of different modifications on your own. Then, if nothing seems to work, I'd try a professional fitting at a reputable shop. And if that doesn't work, try synchronized water ballet.
Thanks to all for some very good comments. I am going to start my shortening my stem from 110 to 90 cm to see what effect that might have. I was mostly interested in finding out what I could expect with regards to the way the steering might be effected by doing so and if it would not be recommended. My LBS said he didn't like to see a stem go below 100 but couldn't say why.
Old 02-12-08, 12:19 PM
enjoi

Bikes: giant TCR campy-shimano mix/ Trek fuel 80/ Fuji track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
might be worth going to a chiropractor to find out if you back is ok. Sometimes the bike is not the problem.
Old 02-12-08, 04:03 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by whitemax
Thanks to all for some very good comments. I am going to start my shortening my stem from 110 to 90 cm to see what effect that might have. I was mostly interested in finding out what I could expect with regards to the way the steering might be effected by doing so and if it would not be recommended. My LBS said he didn't like to see a stem go below 100 but couldn't say why.
If it were me (and it was), I'd find an LBS that can:

1 - put you on a trainer with an adjustable fitting stem. It was a revelation to me, as they adjusted the length and rise that I found a sweet spot that was distinctive.

2 - put that stem on your bike and let you ride it a couple 100 miles. Then swap it out for a different one if needed, or let you try some variation for several days each. The fitting stem will give you an idea if the stem is the issue, the riding it a while will confirm or point you towards a different solution. My LBS has a rack full of take off and exchange stems. They are willing to more or less swap them out as needed, assuming I buy the original stem from them.