Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

SRAM, generic CF frames, PBK, LBS... some thoughts on my backup bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

SRAM, generic CF frames, PBK, LBS... some thoughts on my backup bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-08, 12:29 PM
Jynx

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale CAAD8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
yes it is.

i was planning on 105, but couldn't find a cheap groupset, and rival was cheaper than ultegra.
I understand you already made your purchase but I agree it is impossible to find a 105 group for anywhere near a decent price. Although I did find one place (they seem to be better then PBK on a bunch of items).

Shimano 105 - $500 shipped

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/K...?ModelID=14453

Buy your bike parts here
Old 02-20-08, 12:56 PM
RC2

Bikes: Specialized, Moots, Bridgestone

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
incorrect.
wish i had kept my eye on the ball re head tube height.
partly of the thought that i should have gone a size smaller... i felt a little cramped on the bike today.
Hadn't said much about ill fit, huh... I count 3, thought the last two don't make much sense. Good luck with the bike.
Old 02-20-08, 01:02 PM
briscoelab

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RC2
Hadn't said much about ill fit, huh... I count 3, thought the last two don't make much sense. Good luck with the bike.
I think they make perfect sense. Likely, the bike has too tall of a head tube for the given size. So, while the HT is too tall, the top tube is too short. Common problem for people with shorter legs/long torso. That bike has a much taller head tube than the older Giant TCR composite bikes.... so that's my guess.
Old 02-20-08, 02:02 PM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by briscoelab
I think they make perfect sense. Likely, the bike has too tall of a head tube for the given size. So, while the HT is too tall, the top tube is too short. Common problem for people with shorter legs/long torso. That bike has a much taller head tube than the older Giant TCR composite bikes.... so that's my guess.
there are currently two minor issues:

1. the fit has yet to be fully dialed in.

2. i made a mistake when ordering the bars (their measurements are side to side, not center to center). an easy fix.
Old 02-20-08, 02:04 PM
timmyquest
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SRAM -
[LIST][*]I'm probably one of the few who actually likes the ergonomics of shimano levers better.
I haven't ridden with them yet but i have farted around with them at the bike shop, thus far i tend to agree...
Old 02-20-08, 03:23 PM
RC2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not talking about the first - head tube height (we agree on the above*).
Botto's stated second and third issues are thinking he should have "gone a size smaller" and "felt a little cramped on the bike". A size smaller would lead to a shorter cockpit, cramping Mr. Botto even more.

*However, I don't think you'll find many bikes with 'too tall of a head tube for the given size' -- some bikes have taller HTs purposefully (eg Specialized Roubaix, Trek Pilot), desinged for a more upright position, while some bikes have shorter HTs for a more agressive, lower position (TCR). The point is - don't spend upwards of 1000 bucks on a bike without doing the basic math on geometry and fit. I'm sure Butto knows this full well and just spaced it.
Old 02-20-08, 03:43 PM
briscoelab

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RC2
Botto's stated second and third issues are thinking he should have "gone a size smaller" and "felt a little cramped on the bike". A size smaller would lead to a shorter cockpit, cramping Mr. Botto even more.

*However, I don't think you'll find many bikes with 'too tall of a head tube for the given size' -- some bikes have taller HTs purposefully (eg Specialized Roubaix, Trek Pilot), desinged for a more upright position, while some bikes have shorter HTs for a more agressive, lower position (TCR). The point is - don't spend upwards of 1000 bucks on a bike without doing the basic math on geometry and fit. I'm sure Butto knows this full well and just spaced it.
AHHH... but you miss the problem that some people have. They want to go to a smaller size to get the shorter head tube... but that of course means they are too cramped because of the shorter top tube.

A LOT of bikes have increased their head tube lengths the last couple of years. I think this is because of out of shape old guys wanting to ride "race bikes" without having to use riser stems or spacers.

Examples:

Specialized increased the HT length of the Tarmac 15mm this past year (even the S-works). This makes it nearly as tall in the HT as a Roubaix a couple years ago (now the Roubaix has an even taller HT as well).

Giant increased the HT length on the TCR composite a couple years back, but held out on the Advanced. This past year, they also increased the Advanced model's HT.

Scott increased the HT length on the CR1 about two years ago. Thankfully, they kept the Addict geometry intact.

There are even more than that... but you get the picture. People with long torsos/ shorter legs who want a decent saddle/bar drop have to choose bikes very carefully.

<Sorry for the hijack>
Old 02-20-08, 03:55 PM
botto 

Originally Posted by RC2
bla bla bla
my tcr comp's HT is 145, and I run 15mm of spacers.

the back up bike has a HT of 160 with no spacers.

the only thing that's different is that I no longer have the option on lowering the bars, if i so desired.

but hey, thanks for the comprehensive analysis.
Old 02-20-08, 04:18 PM
stuartjeff

Bikes: A crappy Trek 1000 knockoff from Bikesdirect.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I built up a similar bike recently with full Rival. Here's a quicky cell phone pic

I've taken it on one 60 mile ride and am still sorting out my thoughts on Rival. This is also my first compact crank and I think that has more to do with the negatives than anything else.

I really like the SRAM shifting method though. About half way through that first ride I stopped thinking about my shifting and was able to go on auto-pilot no problem. I think its really quite intuitive if you give yourself a minute to ditch your ingrained habits.

My two biggest issues were not really liking how the gearing feels on a compact crank (with a 12-26) and not feeling very confident shifting the front derailleur. I'm hoping that I'll get used to the gearing in time but there just isn't enough overlap for my tastes and the jump from little to big ring is a bit jarring. The mechanics of the front shift also felt a little dicey and I even had one occasion of a mis-shift where I shifted up and the chain failed to shift. I'm hoping at least part of this was pilot error and I'm giving it more time before really making up my mind.

Overall I'm a huge fan of SRAM. I bought the Rival after using Force on my TT bike. Force with TT shifters feels a lot more solid than the Rival as far as performance goes in my opinion. I also think the SRAM TT shifters CRUSH the DuraAce but that's probably for another forum.

The total build ended up costing me about $900 as new/lightly used parts from eBay without the wheels. I'm happy with the bike and plan to ride it good and hard for a long time.
Old 02-20-08, 06:26 PM
carlfreddy
Acquiring new target....

Bikes: Trek XO-1, Gary Fisher Rig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RC2

You must lead a boring life.

Botto-

Good kill on a value backup bike!

Where in the Mid-South are you?
Old 02-20-08, 06:27 PM
botto 

Originally Posted by carlfreddy

Botto-

Where in the Mid-South are you?
Bluff City.
Old 02-20-08, 08:57 PM
sverrefehn

Bikes: Bianchi FG Lite, Cervelo R3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bluff City.
Blues fan?

How have you found the riding to be in that part of the country?
Old 02-20-08, 09:00 PM
botto 

Originally Posted by sverrefehn
Blues fan?

How have you found the riding to be in that part of the country?
just arrived yesterday, and have yet to ride.

hopefully tomorrow, although the shop that organizes the ride said "no rides when it rains, or the temp is below 40°."

if those were my rules, i'd only ride in june/july/august.
Old 02-20-08, 09:36 PM
RC2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now that's on topic, good one carl.
Old 02-20-08, 09:40 PM
carlfreddy
Acquiring new target....

Bikes: Trek XO-1, Gary Fisher Rig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RC2
Now that's on topic, good one carl.

Botto-

What's your point again?
Old 02-20-08, 09:42 PM
botto 

What's your point again?
s/he has none. again.
Old 02-20-08, 09:45 PM
RC2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A LOT of bikes have increased their head tube lengths the last couple of years...
Yep, agree on that. I think the 'tit for tat' posting on this got started when I agreed that Botto's build was well put-together for around $1000, BUT, alas, my suggestion that an experienced cyclist shouldn't make the (typically newbie) mistake of buying w/o doing diligence to FIT struck a sensitive nerve.

That, my friends, is a basic first step, and I don't care if the bike "rides like it's on rail, smooth as butter, yada yada yada" -- if it doesn't FIT, it's not going to be comfortable.
Old 02-20-08, 09:54 PM
bailcash09

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know funtion over form and all, but I really don't dig the tires. They don't go with the all black. IMHO, that build would look better with different (darker) colored tires. Besides, the extra coolness would make you at least maybe 1mph faster
Old 02-20-08, 09:55 PM
botto 

Originally Posted by RC2
Yep, agree on that. I think the 'tit for tat' posting on this got started when I agreed that Botto's build was well put-together for around $1000, BUT, alas, my suggestion that an experienced cyclist shouldn't make the (typically newbie) mistake of buying w/o doing diligence to FIT struck a sensitive nerve.
reading is fundamental.

Originally Posted by RC2
That, my friends, is a basic first step, and I don't care if the bike "rides like it's on rail, smooth as butter, yada yada yada" -- if it doesn't FIT, it's not going to be comfortable.
channeling John McCain?
Old 02-20-08, 09:59 PM
botto 

Originally Posted by bailcash09
I know funtion over form and all, but I really don't dig the tires. They don't go with the all black. IMHO, that build would look better with different (darker) colored tires. Besides, the extra coolness would make you at least maybe 1mph faster ; )
1. and i care why?

2. perhaps you missed out on the part that this is a budget build, and i don't care what it looks like, how much it weighs, and what our resident bike fitter surmises from two comments?
Old 02-20-08, 10:05 PM
RC2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Channeling McCain would be pretty damned cool (but I don't portray to be a national hero).

I'm going to side-step a comment about you channeling my 3-yr old daughter (whoops, slipped out) and let you get the last word in. Happy trails.
Old 02-20-08, 10:08 PM
botto 

don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Old 02-20-08, 10:16 PM
RC2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
brilliant
Old 02-20-08, 10:18 PM
botto 

Originally Posted by RC2
brilliant
correct. finally.

Last edited by botto; 02-20-08 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-20-08, 10:47 PM
sverrefehn

Bikes: Bianchi FG Lite, Cervelo R3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
just arrived yesterday, and have yet to ride.

hopefully tomorrow, although the shop that organizes the ride said "no rides when it rains, or the temp is below 40°."

if those were my rules, i'd only ride in june/july/august.
Yeah, that would never fly around here either. Good luck in the new, albeit temporary, locale.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.