Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Standard double to compact double

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-08, 06:08 PM
mustardfj40

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Please do not laugh, but I have an 10+ year-old bike with Shimano Ultegra 8spd with the standard double and would like to upgrade to compact double to help climbing steep hills (not to mention I'm 10 years older since I bought the bike). I know the best way is to upgrade the whole drive train, but I see new road bike in my future and would like keep the cost down for now.

Can I just simply swap in a new ultegra compact crank with bottom bracket (the old one is tapper square)? Any other options? What would you do?

Thanks in advance.

/td
Old 02-21-08, 06:14 PM
Tequila Joe
Living the n+1

Bikes: 2019 RM Blizzard, 2013 SuperX, 2007 Litespeed Vortex, 1970 Falcon Olympic, 2008 RM Metropolis IGH, 2004 Specialized Enduro, 2006 Langster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How about just getting a new cassette? An 11 x 28 would work nice. $15 + shipping.
You should also change the chain while your at it.

https://cgi.ebay.com/SRAM-PG-830-Cass...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 02-21-08, 06:22 PM
Gee3
Senior Moment Member

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite Double & 2008 Look 555

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tequila Joe
How about just getting a new cassette? An 11 x 28 would work nice. $15 + shipping.
You should also change the chain while your at it.

https://cgi.ebay.com/SRAM-PG-830-Cass...QQcmdZViewItem
If you are looking to keep the budget in check for a new bike in the near future I think TJ's idea is an excellent, cost effective way to go.

But if you do decide to go compact crank you'll probably need to make sure the crank will accept square tapered bottom brackets (BB's). Not sure if any exist though for that BB. Anyone else know for sure?
Old 02-21-08, 06:27 PM
RC2

Bikes: Specialized, Moots, Bridgestone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the cassette idea, you should be able to find a 11/ or 12/28, and save $$ for a new bike down the road. A 8- or 9- spd cassette should work.

Last edited by RC2; 02-21-08 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-21-08, 06:48 PM
mustardfj40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for suggesting the cassette change, that's a great idea!

How's about the crankset? I understand that newer crankset takes a different type of bottom bracket, if I swap in a new compact crankset with a new bottom bracket to go with it. Do my old 8spd Shimano front shifter/derailler, and chain would still work?

/td
Old 02-21-08, 06:55 PM
Rutnick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
shimano has a Tiagra level compact that is 8/9 speed compatible that you can get for about $70. It is the new external bearing type.

Originally Posted by mustardfj40
Thanks for suggesting the cassette change, that's a great idea!

How's about the crankset? I understand that newer crankset takes a different type of bottom bracket, if I swap in a new compact crankset with a new bottom bracket to go with it. Do my old 8spd Shimano front shifter/derailler, and chain would still work?

/td
Old 02-21-08, 07:28 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
If you don't mind mixing and matching, you can get a campy crankset for 70 bucks from performance for the compact. You might need a new bb, but it'd work methinks.

Also, I think some of the FSA et all compacts are square tapered. Nashbar has some house brand ones if you don't mind using those.

I'm not sure how the chain issue would work out. Though, I've read (on here) that it isn't a sometimes problem. YMMV.
Old 02-21-08, 07:36 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by mustardfj40
Please do not laugh, but I have an 10+ year-old bike with Shimano Ultegra 8spd with the standard double and would like to upgrade to compact double to help climbing steep hills (not to mention I'm 10 years older since I bought the bike). I know the best way is to upgrade the whole drive train, but I see new road bike in my future and would like keep the cost down for now.

Can I just simply swap in a new ultegra compact crank with bottom bracket (the old one is tapper square)? Any other options? What would you do?

Thanks in advance.

/td
My Klein wasn't that old but that's what I did and for the same reason. I think that it's the best equipment change that I've ever made. I gave up a top end gear that I never used and gained a couple of hill climb gears that I needed. I bought an FSA compact crank that matched my existing octalink bottom bracket retained my front derailleur and cassette. The only thing that I had to buy was the crank.
Old 02-21-08, 07:38 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
If you don't mind used, you can also check Ebay etc for old cranks with 110 BCD. Some old Suginos and others lend themselves well to use as compact doubles.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson