Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Gravel bike vs chromoly endurance road bike

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-17, 04:10 AM
ivp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey everybody,

I'm looking to buy a versatile road (or road-like) bike.

Main purposes are:
- riding in the city(commuting and fun rides on weekend)
- riding asphalt roads in the country(2-6 hours rides).
- having ability to ride gravel roads without big pain defenitely would be a big plus.
- I like feeling of riding fast, accelerating fast, but I'm not into real racing, Strava etc. So I would prefer having bike which enables me comfortable 5 hours ride, than the one which rides 5km/h faster for same effort but cause pain on longer distances.

More to riding conditions:
- asphalt in my city is not perfect (some small cracks, untidy joins). Some people who tried to commute with pure racing road bikes said it's not that comfortable here.
- There are mountains nearby, so I would count for long uphills/downhils (probably disk brakes are not good for long downhills?)
- I don't hesitate to ride in rainy weather (here I assume disk brakes are better)

So I'm looking on two options: gravel bike (Giant Anyroad 2, Specialized Diverge A1) or endurance road bike with cromoly frame (Kona Penthouse).

Do you guys have an idea what whould be better for my purposes?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Last edited by ivp; 02-23-17 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-23-17, 07:07 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Welcome to Bikeforums!

Definitely the steel road bike. Gravel bikes are built for stability and abuse, but aren't the best tool for the job on pavement. An endurance road bike will feel faster on pavement and can handle smooth and firm gravel with a 700x28 or larger tire. You won't have much fun on deep or rough gravel with a 700x28 tire, but many cyclist don't need to go on those surfaces.

Disc brakes provide plusses and minuses. The major advantage to disc brakes is wet weather performance. However, disc brakes add weight and involve additional maintenance skill than rim brakes. Don't feel compelled to include disc brakes unless you need wet weather performance regularly.

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 02-23-17 at 07:29 AM.
Old 02-23-17, 07:08 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10969 Post(s)
Liked 7,495 Times in 4,191 Posts
Which model diverge? The A1, id assume based on your kona choice being Claris.

You in europe?...just guessing based on the penthouse being an option.

Anyways, the giant isnt a beauty to me, but the better drivetrain of the 3.
The specialized is hardly anything special and the wheelset is entry level (its an entry level bike, to be fair).

I lean towards steel and like the look of the kona.

How much would each cost you and whats the better fit? All 3, to me, are going to fill the same goal so call and categorize them how you want, they arent really much different unless one fits best.
Old 02-23-17, 07:50 AM
ivp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Welcome to Bikeforums!

Definitely the steel road bike. Gravel bikes are built for stability and abuse, but aren't the best tool for the job on pavement. An endurance road bike will feel faster on pavement and can handle smooth and firm gravel with a 700x28 or larger tire. You won't have much fun on deep or rough gravel with a 700x28 tire, but many cyclist don't need to go on those surfaces.

Disc brakes provide plusses and minuses. The major advantage to disc brakes is wet weather performance. However, disc brakes add weight and involve additional maintenance skill than rim brakes. Don't feel compelled to include disc brakes unless you need wet weather performance regularly.

Thank you!
Old 02-23-17, 07:58 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Welcome to Bikeforums!

With a similar 700 x 28 tire, wouldn't a gravel bike be similar, performance wise, on pavement, to an endurance bike?
Old 02-23-17, 08:00 AM
ivp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Which model diverge? The A1, id assume based on your kona choice being Claris.
exactly - I'm looking at Diverge A1.

You in europe?...just guessing based on the penthouse being an option
yes, I'm in Munich, Germany.

How much would each cost you and whats the better fit?
Well all three are in acceptable price range 600-1100$. Currenlty Kona is cheeper then the other two (640 USD vs 1050 USD). This can however change if the shops change the offers (e.g. there were some good deals on Giant a month ago)
About fit - I don't know really since neither of 3 is available in local shops, so I cannot test it.
Old 02-23-17, 08:29 AM
kuroba

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
+1 for the Kona. I like the look and that it's steel. It comes with 700x30 tires so it'll give you a comfy ride even on gravel (dirt road, hard packed gravel, something like that).
Old 02-23-17, 08:49 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by ivp
exactly - I'm looking at Diverge A1.

yes, I'm in Munich, Germany.

Well all three are in acceptable price range 600-1100$. Currenlty Kona is cheeper then the other two (640 USD vs 1050 USD). This can however change if the shops change the offers (e.g. there were some good deals on Giant a month ago)
About fit - I don't know really since neither of 3 is available in local shops, so I cannot test it.
I would look at this bike: https://www.wiggle.com/verenti-substance-105-2016/

The seller is in the UK and it's a value packed deal. 2x11 Shimano drivetrain, disc brakes, steel frame, which is smoother riding more comfortable than aluminum.

To answer your question;

Originally Posted by biketampa
With a similar 700 x 28 tire, wouldn't a gravel bike be similar, performance wise, on pavement, to an endurance bike?

That would depend on the model of gravel bike. The more expensive carbon fiber gravel bike with an expensive open-tubular tire tire, like the 700x27 Vittoria Pave would perform as well as a bike like the Kona on pavement. Less expensive gravel bikes have heavy steel or aluminum frames and heavier budget wheelsets, they are heavy-duty but also heavy feeling and sluggish.

I use multiple bikes for gravel and mixed gravel & pavement.

My Carbon fiber Raleigh Roker Comp is used on deep and soft gravel. If I installed a tire like the 700x30 Schwalbe S One, it would be moderately fast and efficient on pavement and could still perform well on firm gravel. It's built for bigger tires and deep and soft gravel.

I also have a budget-build Carbon fiber Cyclocross bike with cantilever brakes that is very fast on pavement with 700x27 Vittoria Pave tires, fast enough to keep up with carbon fiber road bikes. If I put a 700x36 Clement MSO gravel tire on this bike, it's very capable on almost any gravel road and as fast as most gravel bikes.

I also have a steel vintage Cyclocross bikes that has a Challenge Parigi-Roubaix tire that is about 30mm wide. This bike would perform and be more like the Kona in practical terms. This bike is fast on pavement and can handle smooth and firm gravel with a the Parigi-Roubaix tire.

If you want a do-it-all bike on a moderate budget, a Cyclocross bike is the best solution.

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 02-23-17 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-23-17, 11:35 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10969 Post(s)
Liked 7,495 Times in 4,191 Posts
Simple answer- yes.
Longer answer- it depends on the geometry of the gravel bike and endurance bike.

But yeah, they will perform relatively the same on pavement with the same tires. Anyone who says otherwise is either really picky or just regurgitating what theyve read. That may insult some here, but too bad so sad.

Applying this to the 3 bikes in question- they are all relatively entry level and will have wheelsets which match the pricepoint. Butted cromo with entry level wheels simply wont feel radically different(sluggish) on 28s from an entry aluminum frame with entry carbon form on entry level wheels unless the geometry is a lot different.
Geometry will make a bike feel more sluggish at this pricepoint.
Old 02-23-17, 01:16 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Simple answer- yes.
Longer answer- it depends on the geometry of the gravel bike and endurance bike.

But yeah, they will perform relatively the same on pavement with the same tires. Anyone who says otherwise is either really picky or just regurgitating what theyve read. That may insult some here, but too bad so sad.

Applying this to the 3 bikes in question- they are all relatively entry level and will have wheelsets which match the pricepoint. Butted cromo with entry level wheels simply wont feel radically different(sluggish) on 28s from an entry aluminum frame with entry carbon form on entry level wheels unless the geometry is a lot different.
Geometry will make a bike feel more sluggish at this pricepoint.
Seems right. I have a jamis ventura race which is aluminum frame and more race-like compared to my raleigh tamland steel frame. But even on the raleigh with the 700x32c it's not like I'm super slow on the pavement. Sure, the jamis is much lighter and I probably am faster on it but for my intended use the performance difference means little. If I had known better and if gravel/adventure bikes were more numerous a few years ago I would have gone that route rather than the jamis.
Old 02-24-17, 03:52 AM
ivp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would look at this bike: Verenti Substance 105 (2016) | Cyclocross Bikes

The seller is in the UK and it's a value packed deal. 2x11 Shimano drivetrain, disc brakes, steel frame, which is smoother riding more comfortable than aluminum.

To answer your question;
Thank you! It looks like an excellent deal. Unfortunately my size is currently out of stock....
Old 02-24-17, 09:42 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Yeah, my gravel bike is faster than my road bike. Its a little lighter and a little stiffer than the road bike.

But it depends what you mean by gravel bike:

A long, low, slack compliant gravel bike isn't going to feel as fast and may be a little too soft and slack to be really fast
A good cyclocross bike with good tires is going to do fine in a paceline with road bikes.
A gravel bike like the Diverge will be the same as a road bike in just about anything but actual race conditions.

The biggest difference comes from the tires and the motor more than the "category" of bike.
Old 02-24-17, 11:41 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Originally Posted by chas58
Yeah, my gravel bike is faster than my road bike. Its a little lighter and a little stiffer than the road bike.

But it depends what you mean by gravel bike:

A long, low, slack compliant gravel bike isn't going to feel as fast and may be a little too soft and slack to be really fast
A good cyclocross bike with good tires is going to do fine in a paceline with road bikes.
A gravel bike like the Diverge will be the same as a road bike in just about anything but actual race conditions.

The biggest difference comes from the tires and the motor more than the "category" of bike.
I agree. For my purposes, I'm know my steel framed tamland with 32c tires is certainly going to be slower. By how much I'm not certain and not really feeling obligated to find out. But I wanted the steel frame and bigger tires so it would be more comfortable to ride, be able to do some pavement rides, and go on gravel. I can always add size 25-28 tires if I want a little better performance for some pavement only rides.
Old 02-24-17, 11:52 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by ivp
Hey everybody,

I'm looking to buy a versatile road (or road-like) bike.

Main purposes are:
- riding in the city(commuting and fun rides on weekend)
- riding asphalt roads in the country(2-6 hours rides).
- having ability to ride gravel roads without big pain defenitely would be a big plus.
- I like feeling of riding fast, accelerating fast, but I'm not into real racing, Strava etc. So I would prefer having bike which enables me comfortable 5 hours ride, than the one which rides 5km/h faster for same effort but cause pain on longer distances.

More to riding conditions:
- asphalt in my city is not perfect (some small cracks, untidy joins). Some people who tried to commute with pure racing road bikes said it's not that comfortable here.
- There are mountains nearby, so I would count for long uphills/downhils (probably disk brakes are not good for long downhills?)
- I don't hesitate to ride in rainy weather (here I assume disk brakes are better)

So I'm looking on two options: gravel bike (Giant Anyroad 2, Specialized Diverge A1) or endurance road bike with cromoly frame (Kona Penthouse).

Do you guys have an idea what whould be better for my purposes?

Thanks a lot in advance!
What we have here is a distinction without a difference....Buy what u like it can afford. These are mere terms. 😃
Old 04-13-17, 06:09 PM
Zurichman2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
new bie posting test
Old 02-17-18, 11:34 PM
Godspeed7

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kona

Hope you found your bike. I own a kona penthouse and so far it has been a dependable steel steed. Smoothe and comfy ride. I use it for my fitness, commutes and erands. It still gets down the road fast. In all a good all rounder. A little pricey in these here parts. 2017 is also the last year for the penthouse in the lineup. 700cx30 tires help with the ride and comfort.

All the best
Old 02-19-18, 12:55 PM
gettingold

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Zurichman2
new bie posting test
Feel better now?
Old 02-19-18, 06:00 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Soma Fog Cutter

Takes up to 38mm meat with fenders