Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ultegra vs 105

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Ultegra vs 105

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-05, 01:23 PM
BellaItalia

Bikes: Litespeed Bella, Seven Alaris

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ultegra vs 105

I had been searching for the perfect roadbike to replace my old Trek and came across a Litespeed 2005 Bella at my LBS this morning--the women's specific geometry from Litespeed--marked down to $1999. Took it for a spin, compared it to Cannondale R1000 (both men's & women's) and realized I had fallen head over heels for the Bella. But it comes equipped with Shimano 105's, and I'd been expecting to go for Ultegra. LBS is willing to trade out the 105s for Ultegra throughout, for approx. $450. Does this make sense? Any advice?
On the test ride, the 105s performed fine, but . . .
Old 09-14-05, 01:37 PM
bvfrompc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
R1000 vs. Bella

Isn't the real question one of Ti vs. Alu? With the Ti you have something that could last a lifetime vs. the Alu that while light and well made explains in the owners manual that it should only last a few years (granted this is for pros who ride abizillion miles a year and the CAAD8 would probably last a long time under normal use).

So the question becomes one of frame vs. components. 105 vs. Ultegra (and don't forget the wheels, I don't know anything about the FSAs but the Elites are a $500+ wheelset on the R1000). Everything I read leading up to the purchase of my road bike said start with 105, get Ultegra if you can afford it, and go DA if you want to impress someone.

I'd take the Ti, upgrade the parts as they wear out, which will probably be years, and be thrilled to be riding such a sweet bike.

BTW, I ride an R1000, but got mine out the back door for quite a bit less than retail.
Old 09-14-05, 01:54 PM
BellaItalia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts--
I do love the feel of the ti frame--that was what really sold me on the Bella. I also thought I'd use the 105s and change them out way down the line if they didn't satisfy. But if I do the change right now, I get credit for the swap with the 105s, so it's much cheaper.
Old 09-14-05, 02:07 PM
No Exit

Bikes: 05 Fuji Pro, 06 Mercier Serpens, 00 Ducati 750ss

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its only cheaper if you find a problem with the 105s otherwise its $450 spent on speculation. That said, I'd personally just get the ultegra cuz Im dumb like that.
Old 09-14-05, 02:12 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Take the bike as is and when the components wear out in 3k or so miles, upgrade to Ultegra; if you think you need them. You may want to wade through all the "Is Ultegra/DuraAce/Record worth it" threads but as with most things, there's a law of diminishing returns which says you'll pay more and more for smaller improvements.

Many people have been perfectly happy tearing up the roads with 105 group.
Old 09-14-05, 02:22 PM
Ineedhelp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm kind of in the same position. I bought a Ti bike, Airborne WASP, which is also women's specific, and it came with 105s and I figured I'd have the bike shop upgrade the parts for me this winter. I also figured I'd go to a triple and a little heavier-duty tire...

But now, with about 500 miles on the bike so far, I just don't have any complaints about the 105s, the double's climbing the hills just fine and the 23m tires are handling the trails I ride without any problems.

So now I'm thinking I'll just stay with what the bike came with for a year or two, and wait for these parts to wear some before replacing and upgrading.

But by next week, I might change my mind again...
Old 09-14-05, 02:56 PM
Kickingback

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Too be honest I have rode bikes with 105's and Ultegra. They are so much alike if you shut your eyes I bet you couldn't tell. I wouldn't spend 450 dollars more just to be able to say I have Ultegra comps. Stick with the bike you love and with the 105's. I think you will be very happy you did. Good luck and Stay safe!!!
Old 09-14-05, 03:00 PM
No Exit

Bikes: 05 Fuji Pro, 06 Mercier Serpens, 00 Ducati 750ss

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, dont shut your eyes... neither Ultegra nor 105s gonna help you there.
Old 09-14-05, 03:01 PM
timwat

Bikes: Giant TCR CF, Raleigh Fixie, Bridgestone Radac, Specialized Rockhopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And then you have 450 more to spend on jerseys, leg and arm warmers (it's September, can you believe that?), shoes & pedals.

Or 3 Assos bibs.
Old 09-14-05, 03:09 PM
alanbikehouston

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
There is a twenty year history to show how Shimano handles the Dura-Ace, Ultegra, and 105 product lines. Any new innovations, including silly ones, such as ten cog cassettes, are introduced on Dura Ace. A year or two later, a more reliable, "debugged" version is introduced on Ultegra. Ultegra is made a tad bit heavier and more reliable than Dura Ace, because it is sold to folks who keep a drivetrain five or ten years, not the six months of a Pro riding Dura Ace.

And, finally, that "innovation" reaches 105 after two or three years of testing on Dura Ace and Ultegra. The result is, that although a 105 setup is a tad heavier than Ultegra, and often a bit plainer looking, 105 is the most reliable and durable of the three "premium" Shimano groups.

It would be silly to pay $400 to switch a bike from 105 to Ultegra. The 105 bike will perform as well or better than the Ultegra bike. Unless someone is paying you to race up a mountain, the extra few ounces of weight are trivial, and not worth thinking about.
Old 09-14-05, 03:13 PM
hi565
By-Tor...or the Snow Dog?

Bikes: Bianchi Cross Concept, Flyte Srs-3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by timwat
And then you have 450 more to spend on jerseys, leg and arm warmers (it's September, can you believe that?), shoes & pedals.

Or 3 Assos bibs.
Or I think one and a half pairs of Assos Bib tights.
Old 09-14-05, 03:15 PM
pgoat
Batüwü Griekgriek

Bikes: 1986 Trek 500 Tri Series, 2005 Cannondale R1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just my two cents - and I am no racer, no pro, just a slow flower watcher, but imho, going 'up' from 105-Ultegra-DA it gets lighter and a little more pretty/polished but in terms of functionality, they seem pretty darn alike to me.

My ideal bike would be a top line gruppo on a top line frame (what ever THAT means) but If i had to go halfway, I'd much rather have a well designed frame appropriate for my needs sized properly for my body and 105, vs DA or Ultegra on a so-so frame or fit.
Old 09-14-05, 04:20 PM
BellaItalia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, so many replies and so helpful. I had made peace with my initial decision to upgrade but now I'm having doubts again about whether it isn't really unnecessary. Meanwhile, the bike tech suggested I stay with the Gossamer (?) crank--it's a compact and apparently Shimano doesn't offer a compact crank until Jan. 2006--and change that out later on; so the upgrade to the rest of the drive train will be more in the range of $200 or $250. Now I'm thinking that might be the best compromise. Unless one of you tells me that would be a mistake . . .
Old 09-14-05, 04:50 PM
Kickingback

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That sounds like a better compromise. I still think the Gossamer crank is a good for a begginer to a rider thats rode for years. If you are not planning on racing I still would save the money. I really don't know the level you ride at, or your body shape. But just my feeling you are looking for a nice setup and don't mind spending for it. The question is what kind of riding are you doing to be doing. If you are a casual rider that rides up to 50 miles. Then stick with the Gossamer. If you are already a great rider and want a upgrade then spend the money. Again Good luck. Most of all stay safe.
Old 09-14-05, 05:00 PM
marcpotash
mmpotash

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally, I've found that Ultegra shifts a bit smooter than the 105's I've ridden. It seems by the above posts I might be in the minority in that opinion.
Old 09-14-05, 05:03 PM
marcpotash
mmpotash

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry- "smoother".
Old 09-14-05, 05:07 PM
Matt Gaunt

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is it new 105 vs new Ultegra or 9s 105 vs new Ultegra? There is definitely a difference in performance between 9s 105 and new Ultegra. Plus there is the extra rear cog and the new style BB setup (Hollowtech II) which is a lot stiffer than even old Ultegra. You do definitely notice the difference on the same frame. Done the experiment. Just depends if £275 or whatever it is seems like it's good value to you or not. I would like to add that 105 is damn good stuff and will last you ages though.
Old 09-14-05, 05:25 PM
CycleFreakLS

Bikes: Litespeed, Medici, Gary Fisher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't upgrade 105 to Ultegra unless you had money to burn. I'd upgrade the wheelset first. As far as 105s wearing out in 3K (!?) ... not unless you ride in sand. I have 14K on my Ultegra drive train and it is fine. Of course, I'm rather anal about cleaning it. I'm on my third chain and 2nd cassette. I was able to get a DA chain/cass combo on a price match, then take another 20% off. Couldn't pass that up. Overall, I think the DA chain/cass shifts better than Ultegra, but not if you're paying full retail for it.

As far as wheels go, yes ... the C'dale R1000 has K-Elites on it. Good wheels, but you can get better for less. I got my Shimano 7701s for $350 and I'll take 7701s over K-Elites any day. I think you'd be perfectly happy on Easton Ascent IIs. I've heard people getting them at year-end clearances for just over $400. A way better wheelset than K-Elites ... And, if you did plunk down ~400, the Ascents (or any other comparable wheelset) would make a much bigger difference in the ride than Ultegra would.

Your probably better off getting good pedals and really comfortable shoes. Don't buy cheap shoes, buy shoes that fit. Feet that hurt ... won't matter if you're on a C-50 with full Record. Best.
Old 09-14-05, 07:11 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
If the $450 upgrade fee means going form 9-speed 105 to 10-speed Ultegra then it's probably worth it. If it means going form 9-speed to 9-speed then wait until your shifters wear out and then upgrade shifters, cassette, and chain to 10-speed Ultegra.

Good advice (above) on buying high quality shoes.

Al
Old 09-14-05, 07:36 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Buy the bike that you want.

A year from now you will have forgotten about spending the extra $450.00 but you'll still be riding the bike. Don't get overly rational about it. If you think that you might feel disappointed every time that you look at the bike because you think about how much cooler Ultegra would have been, $450.00 is cheap.
Old 09-14-05, 08:31 PM
zing28
Crunch Time!!!!

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix, Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Save your money. Nothing wrong with the 105. I've ridden both also. No difference in my opinion. Unless you care that much about the little added weight. I would go for a wheel upgrade first.
Old 09-14-05, 08:46 PM
BellaItalia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks again for so much input. The upgrade is from 9-speed 105 to 10-speed Ultegra, and while I'm not a racer, I wanted a bike that would shift really smoothly and feel great. I loved the way the frame handled but didn't want to always wonder if the 105s had been a mistake. I'm not looking to throw money at the bike for no reason, but want to buy a great bike, ride it constantly, and never feel like I had to revisit the decision (*or at least not for a long time!) I tend to agree that on big-ticket expenses like this, where you're not going to replace it for a long time, you should get the best thing you can afford. I just didn't want to do the upgrade if it was just cosmetic or silly.
Old 09-14-05, 09:26 PM
Jarery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Id keep the 105.
And as others have said, upgrade other parts you might skimp on. Get a real nice saddle, and a real nice set of wheels.
Old 09-14-05, 09:35 PM
SDRider
Cat None

Bikes: LOOK KG 461, LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er 0

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BellaItalia
Wow, so many replies and so helpful. I had made peace with my initial decision to upgrade but now I'm having doubts again about whether it isn't really unnecessary. Meanwhile, the bike tech suggested I stay with the Gossamer (?) crank--it's a compact and apparently Shimano doesn't offer a compact crank until Jan. 2006--and change that out later on; so the upgrade to the rest of the drive train will be more in the range of $200 or $250. Now I'm thinking that might be the best compromise. Unless one of you tells me that would be a mistake . . .
I have Ultegra w/Gossamer crank on my Felt F65 and I love it! I haven't ridden 105 but this group is such a huge step up from what I was riding it's like night and day (early 90s Suntour Superbe Pro on a heavier steel frame bike). For $200-250 I'd say Ultegra is worth it if it'll make you happy.
Old 09-15-05, 12:29 PM
pgoat
Batüwü Griekgriek

Bikes: 1986 Trek 500 Tri Series, 2005 Cannondale R1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am with the spend on wheels crowd. I'd make sure you are happy with the frame first, then spend on shoes/gloves/saddle/stem/bar/tape etc to make sure you are comfy with an optimal position. THEN I'd spend any money (assuming there is any left after all that!! ) on the best wheels I needed/could afford, with appropriate tires for your needs.

Having said that, as others stated if Ultegra 10 will make you smile, a few extra c-notes isn't asking too much....I do think 105 9 spd is more than adequate for most of us, however.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.