Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Initial Impression: If you don't think trainer miles count, you've never been on one.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Initial Impression: If you don't think trainer miles count, you've never been on one.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-05, 08:23 PM
TXCiclista

Bikes: 2017 Ridley Fenix SL, 2008 Trek 1500, 1998 Diamondback Apex

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got my new trainer and put in 20 mins. Using my cyclo, I kept up a 16.3mph pace.

Now, I've heard lots of people say "Trainer miles aren't as hard as road miles". Well, my initial response is gonna be "BS". In just 20 minutes, I put in a workout that was 2x as hard as a similar speed on the road. Now, I DO live in TX, so we get mostly flat roads, so that may color my impression. Nevertheless, I was actually sweating and feeling a burn in my quads, something that NEVER happens these days out on the road at 16.3. In fact, I didn't have my cyclo mounted on the bars (just sitting on the floor by the trainer) and I thought "Surely this has been an 18mph pace".

So, the next time you say "Trainer miles don't count" let me suggest that you actually get on one and try to ride five miles at the same pace you would on the road. If anything, I'd say "Trainer miles count MORE"

PS For those that still don't know why, there's one simple reason (IMHO): you can't coast. No pedaling, no miles...
Old 10-13-05, 08:35 PM
minder357

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No coasting! yikes! what is this. . . the fixie forum?
Old 10-13-05, 08:37 PM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Bikes: several

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think most people who say, "trainer miles don't count" say it not because the difficulty of the workout is different, but because the overall experience of riding a trainer is not the same as riding outdoors. You also can't turn, go up hills, go down hills, etc. etc.

Personally, I hope never to find out
Old 10-13-05, 08:41 PM
thewalrus
CAT6 UTP 568B

Bikes: 2005 Allez Elite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll say that trainer miles are HARDER than road miles... in being able to motivate yourself to stay on the trainer and keep going.

No wind in the face to cool down (unless you set up a fan, but it's still not the same)

No scenery to break the monotony

Temptation to get off the trainer and read a book/watch tv/get a snack/do something else.

There was a thread last week about trying to do a century on a trainer. To me that sounds like torture...
Old 10-13-05, 08:48 PM
ovoleg
Powered by Borscht

Bikes: Russian Vodka

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thewalrus
I'll say that trainer miles are HARDER than road miles... in being able to motivate yourself to stay on the trainer and keep going.

No wind in the face to cool down (unless you set up a fan, but it's still not the same)

No scenery to break the monotony

Temptation to get off the trainer and read a book/watch tv/get a snack/do something else.

There was a thread last week about trying to do a century on a trainer. To me that sounds like torture...
Yea I am still contemplating that but I doubt I will be able to make it past 30 miles

I totally agree, I've been saying it all along, trainer miles, with resistance are CRAZY. All the above points are what I noticed!!

1. No wind to cool you down
2. Scenery sucks
3. Temptation to get off

Also, as mentioned, there is no coasting....As soon as you stop pedaling, within 3 seconds your at 0mph which sucks pretty bad.

After about 40minutes on the trainer, I am already in full blown sweat and HR probably in the 180's. Its quite a workout. The only thing I don't like is the fact that it doesn't rock back and forth which kinda feels wierd.
Old 10-13-05, 09:24 PM
galen_52657
Banned.

Bikes: 2001 Look KG 241, 1989 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp, 1986 Gatane Performanc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think you will get any argument that you can get a good workout on the trainer. But, the 'miles' on a trainer to not equate to 'miles' on the road. Just like the 'speed' on the stationary bike at the gym does not equate to the 'speed' on the road. The measurements are just points of reference. You could set the trainer's resistance to the lowest setting and ride it all day and not break a sweat. Or, set it at the hardest setting, shift into the twelve and have a hard time turning the pedals over.
Old 10-13-05, 09:31 PM
kosherdave
Tri Coach/UltraMarathoner

Bikes: 2006 Madone 5.2 SL, some 60s Schwinn thing for crusin at Peak's Island, and an old single spead commuter (schiwn)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After 20 minutes on my trainer, I really feel it too! I think it is really cause you do not coast and enjoy the scenery. You're on the trainer for exercise or perhaps while you watch TV. I have mine in front of a big screen 57inch TV, so I kinda have some degree of sceenery to keep me going, but man, after half an hour it hurts more than an hour on the road!
Old 10-13-05, 10:10 PM
R600DuraAce

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here is the issue. In the off season it is important to spend as much time on the bike as possible. 20 minutes isn't even long enough of a warm up. Try more than an hour. After an hour on the trainer, you may want to kill yourself afterward and to curse the trainer for eternity. An hour riding on the real road is nothing. On the real road, you are less likely to overheat. You don't get bored. Spending 3 to 5 hours riding at base miles intensity is very doable on the real road.
Old 10-14-05, 12:26 AM
ovoleg
Powered by Borscht

Bikes: Russian Vodka

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by R600DuraAce
Here is the issue. In the off season it is important to spend as much time on the bike as possible. 20 minutes isn't even long enough of a warm up. Try more than an hour. After an hour on the trainer, you may want to kill yourself afterward and to curse the trainer for eternity. An hour riding on the real road is nothing. On the real road, you are less likely to overheat. You don't get bored. Spending 3 to 5 hours riding at base miles intensity is very doable on the real road.
what if you up to 400w? I think 20 minutes will be killer at that point Sorry!

yea I guess if you get used to it, then you can do it but you get pretty bored fast and there is ALOT of temptation to stop. When your on the road, there is no stopping, you keep going. On the bike, someone calls you, you get off and pick up the phone so you get out of it already
Old 10-14-05, 12:47 AM
Eatadonut
You know you want to.

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, 1980's 531 steel fixie commuter, FrankenMTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ovoleg
what if you up to 400w? I think 20 minutes will be killer at that point Sorry!

it takes me at least a 30-minute warmup to turn the dial up to 400w, i'm just not man enough to keep it set on 400w when I first get on.
Old 10-14-05, 03:44 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by galen_52657
I don't think you will get any argument that you can get a good workout on the trainer. But, the 'miles' on a trainer to not equate to 'miles' on the road. Just like the 'speed' on the stationary bike at the gym does not equate to the 'speed' on the road. The measurements are just points of reference. You could set the trainer's resistance to the lowest setting and ride it all day and not break a sweat. Or, set it at the hardest setting, shift into the twelve and have a hard time turning the pedals over.
Or get a good trainer that you do not have to adjust and just pedal the bike and feel it resist you regardless of how fast or slow you pedal so this does not happen.

Like a Fluid2 or a Magneto....your power output may very.
Old 10-14-05, 04:23 AM
HWS
Fuji Shill

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you get bored, put a Spinervals DVD in and follow along. I can assure you boredom won't be an issue anymore!
Old 10-14-05, 07:09 AM
rpc180

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale R700 2002 Cannondale R3000 2013 Masi CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks trainer miles aren't easy! Even at the lowest setting it feels like an slight uphill battle. Then again, I'm a beginner - so not the best hill climber But I seriously don't feel bad if I can't ride to work and back again one day and spend an hour on the trainer instead. I only feel bad for the carpet, the sweat on the bike, and the shirt I was wearing.

It is harder than the excercise bike in the gym ... I have that thing tuned to level 8 of 10 and still don't break 150BPM and can run it for an hour. Throw me on the trainer for 20 minutes and I'm ready to drop.
Old 10-14-05, 07:09 AM
badkarma
Know Your Onion!

Bikes: Kestrel Talon, Motobecane Le Champion SL

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Granted, I just bought my first trainer last week (1-up), but I think it's ludicrous to look at speed/distance as the determining factor for a workout. I think it all comes down to the resistance you have the flywheel set to. If you have the lowest resistance set, then I think it's easier than flat road riding, but if you have a more moderate resistance setting, than it can easily be harder mile for mile than riding outside. I think the best metric for measuring the workout is an HRM. Use that to determine how difficult/easy the workout is.
Old 10-14-05, 07:11 AM
TXCiclista

Bikes: 2017 Ridley Fenix SL, 2008 Trek 1500, 1998 Diamondback Apex

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As for the boredom, I had the 2001 TdF (12 hour) in last night and that helped a lot.

As for the miles not translating, that seems like a bit of a "literalist" statement. I guess the question is whether you count miles just to count them as a show of fitness on/dedication to a bike. For me it's the latter, so trainer miles count. I guess my point is, if I'd been out on my bike, I would have had 2x miles, so the trainer miles count...

And as for being on the bike, I agree 100%. It's just that on some days (when I work a lot) it's quicker to get on the trainer (especially when I have only 2 hours before bed and don't want to be too worked up to sleep). It's also the only option on the those "freezing" rain days when it's 45 outside and raining. Of course, I can (and have) get out in that crap, but I'd rather not. And I think once my wife has a bébé (hoping for this upcoming summer) a trainer will be an integral part of keeping my fitness level up...

Still, good points all
Old 10-14-05, 07:30 AM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12195 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 1,109 Posts
Last winter I used a trainer. I would ride while watching old ST:TNG episodes. When the commercial came, I'd stop and catch my breath a bit while fast forwarding over the damn things. Spring hit, and on my first ride I was just flying down the road. I thought that was great!. Then I turned up the mountain I live on and started a steady grind at a medium pace. Suddenly I was a candidate for a coronary. I stopped, and when my heart stopped trying to extract itself from my chest, I went home, chastened.

The moral of the story is that trainers are great. But this year I am using Spinervals...
Old 10-14-05, 08:42 AM
Avalanche325

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze / GT Avalanche

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On my trainer (1-up) I have to push hard to average over 17mph for an hour. On the road I average 20+mph for 45 - 50 miles. The trainer is way harder. Then there is the mental thing. You can stop and be home at any time.
Old 10-14-05, 09:09 AM
ImprezaDrvr
Back in the Sooner State

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Find a 7% climb that takes about 20 mins to do and climb it at your 16 mph pace.

Trainers are alright at best. Give me layers and cold air in the lungs. Bring on the 20's (F)!
Old 10-14-05, 01:00 PM
curiouskid55

Bikes: o5 Specilized roubaix Comp, 06 Tequilo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Seems to be a disconnect here. Trainers aren't for riding. They are for training. They are ideal for technique , cadence, specific types of endurance, climbing,and other drills that are difficult to manage while riding on the road. If you just sit on your trainer and spin in one gear at one cadence you are missing the boat and wasting your time.
Old 10-14-05, 01:03 PM
ovoleg