Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fizik Arione K:1 Saddle - weight on Competitive Cyclist

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-08, 07:06 AM
substructure
RustyTainte

Bikes: zilch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"2008 Fizik Arione K:1 Saddle
Item: FIZ117 Weight: 160.0g
$399.99

While Fizik has largely devoured the high-end saddle marketplace, they've done so without responding in kind to companies who try to garner attention for themselves by producing ever-lighter saddles. You know the saddles we mean -- the 99g thin-shell/thin-carbon cover models that cause you to laugh when you look at them because you know no one heavier than a certified KOM could ever possibly sit on one for longer than 5km.

While the Fizik Arione K:1 saddle doesn't break the 100g barrier, its design ensures a heck of a lot more in the way of comfort than what we've seen up to now in the super-light class. It's built with "Mobius" braided carbon fiber rails -- Fizik's lightest-ever thanks to their construction method by which a core of unidirectional fibers are inserted into a carbon "sock" to give it tremendous strength-to-weight. Further lightening things is a carbon shell overlaid with a soft "Technogel" cover. While this gel adds a wee bit of weight, it also makes the Arione K:1 the most rideable sub-150g saddle on the market. It's a full 50g (that's 33%) lighter than the Aliante Carbon, yet like all other Fizik saddles it's built to give you all-day-long comfort."

Am I missing something here?
Old 02-07-08, 08:23 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,286 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by substructure
"2008 Fizik Arione K:1 Saddle
Item: FIZ117 Weight: 160.0g

While this gel adds a wee bit of weight, it also makes the Arione K:1 the most rideable sub-150g saddle on the market.

Am I missing something here?

fwiw I've noticed that various vendors (Excel Sports, Colorado Cyclist, Fairwheel Bikes, etc) can't seem to agree on the weights of any fizik saddles...they're often ±20g for the same model!

For all I know fizik can't even agree on what their saddles weigh! Or maybe their manufacturing tolerances are pathetic.

So perhaps the guy @ Competitive Cyclist responsible for the body text is a different guy than the one who gathers the product specifications...and they both just happened to be right?

Doesn't explain why no one's proofing their website before they publish it...
Old 02-07-08, 12:42 PM
Rob P

Bikes: Time

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fizik's website - https://www.fizik.it/catalog.aspx?subid=Arione_K1 149grams and tha'ts what the saddle weighs.

There are some other posts of people who did end up buying them. They seemed to have good things to say.
Old 02-07-08, 01:26 PM
RC2

Bikes: Specialized, Moots, Bridgestone

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
...can't seem to agree on the weights of any fizik saddles...they're often ±20g for the same model!
Oh crap, now we can't trust the posted weights on cycling compenents any more. What's next, somebody's going to say that carbon seat stays doesn't make Al ride like butter??
Old 02-08-08, 07:35 AM
whitemax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
150/160 grams, in either case a very overpriced saddle.
Old 02-08-08, 07:52 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,286 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by whitemax
150/160 grams, in either case a very overpriced saddle.
If you were only paying for weight I'd agree. In fact, until you get into the sub-100g asshatchets, if weight is your only criteria there's no point in riding anything other than a Selle Italia SLR. It's the lightest off-the-shelf saddle that still costs less than a Times Square Reacharound. (135g, ~$120.)

Except weight isn't the only criteria for a saddle. There's also that annoying issue of Comfort. And what wouldn't you pay for a comfortable saddle? Well, from the sound of it, whitemax wouldn't pay $399...but what if no other saddle was comfortable?

I've never ridden on a K:1 so I can't comment on its comfort. I have ridden on an SLR and I will state that cheap & light are WORTHLESS without comfort...which it doesn't really offer much of. So I'd definitely & happily pay more than $120 for a comfortable saddle.
Old 02-08-08, 11:07 AM
whitemax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
If you were only paying for weight I'd agree. In fact, until you get into the sub-100g asshatchets, if weight is your only criteria there's no point in riding anything other than a Selle Italia SLR. It's the lightest off-the-shelf saddle that still costs less than a Times Square Reacharound. (135g, ~$120.)

Except weight isn't the only criteria for a saddle. There's also that annoying issue of Comfort. And what wouldn't you pay for a comfortable saddle? Well, from the sound of it, whitemax wouldn't pay $399...but what if no other saddle was comfortable?

I've never ridden on a K:1 so I can't comment on its comfort. I have ridden on an SLR and I will state that cheap & light are WORTHLESS without comfort...which it doesn't really offer much of. So I'd definitely & happily pay more than $120 for a comfortable saddle.
Your point is well taken, however, at what point does an item become overpriced? How much are you willing to pay for comfort? Why don't they just charge $1,000 for it on that principal alone? The saddle in question is not that much different than a regular Arionne that can be gotten for $100 if you shop around which weighs 240 grams. $399.00 is a lot of money to spend if the weight is all one is concerned about and I believe Fitzik's goal was to entice the weight weenie. I don't believe one is gaining anything in comfort above and beyond the regular Arionne. FWIW, I own a Selle Italia SLR and for my behind, it has been the most comfortable seat I have ridden and as an aside happens to be very light. I also have an Arionne which hasn't worked as well (for me).