Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I Can't Believe I Confronted a Cager

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-08, 01:02 AM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Disclaimer - anybody who has ridden for more than a couple of months has been the victim of abuse from drivers - abuse that can take many forms. I long ago learned to let it go and just move on. After all, 185 pounds of body and bike has no chance against a 3000 pound vehicle.

Tonight was different however. And it had a satisfying ending.

I'm winding down after doing my usual loop and am about 3 blocks from my home, cruising on a main through road with a bike lane. Jerk in a jacked duelie pulls up next to me and starts shouting obscenities for no apparent reason. I say nothing but I do look at him while I keep moving forward. He pulls in front of me, slows to a crawl and then peels out in the sand and gravel left over from all the rain, pelting me.

Ouch.

He takes off and I start to think how cool it would be to file a report with the police - had I gotten the license plate. As I watch him go into the distance, I notice him turn into a strip mall, the kind where only the bars and restaurants are open on Sunday night. So I head up there to get his plate.

As I eye his big ol' truck from the distance, I see him getting out. He sees me coming and immediately decides we are going to go at it right then and there. He pulls off his jacket and starts to say things. I might add he kept his black cowboy hat on.

Meanwhile, I size him up and decide I want nothing to do with him. He's about 6'3" and 250, but he's mid 40's and way out of shape. Still, I'm no fighter....but I can talk. So, I start jabbering at him about sharing the road all the while keeping my distance on the bike.

As he continues to challenge me, he begins walking away from his truck, whereby I start to get much braver with my words, accusing him of all sorts of things but keeping it cool. But now a funny thing is happening - I START CIRCLING HIM FROM A DISTANCE.

After awhile, I move off the topic of drivers and cyclists..."hey partner, who's the cowboy now and who's the heffer?"

"C'mon big guy, come get me....so brave behind the wheel....let's see you run 20 yards..."

Then I hit him with what I perceived the be the real problem. Being a former alcohol abuser, I can spot it a mile away.

"Going to get a few more pops and get back behind the wheel again there partner? That JD behind the seat near empty? Going out later to run some more people off the road? Fine example you set there mister, should we videotape it for the kids?" Tame stuff but with a point.

Meanwhile, he's steaming while he continues to shout obscenities to get me off the bike.

By now, people are gathering and wondering why this half crazed twit on a bike is circling a cowboy in a parking lot.

The unexpected thing was - the more I jabbered, the more enraged he became and there wasn't a thing he could do. It got to where I felt I was toying with him - and it was fun - in a somewhat creepy and childish way. I felt like I was representing every rider that had ever been dissed by some ahole driver.

Final words words were - "dude, go refresh your drunk, I'm done with you."

I've had a lot of cruddy things happen to me in the last year and hence, a lot of pent up frustration has gone by the wayside. It was good to let a little out.

But I don't recommend this being the way.

55/Rad

Last edited by 55/Rad; 02-11-08 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-11-08, 01:06 AM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
As a followup...

I got so much satisfaction from this that reporting him seemed pointless. I'll sleep on it.
Old 02-11-08, 01:13 AM
Edonis13

Bikes: S-Works SL3 Tarmac, Allez E5, Leader 735TT, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
better hope he doesnt see you in the bike lane again while making the trip for more whiskey.

nicely played though.
Old 02-11-08, 01:16 AM
Gusboh
On your left fatty

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 55/Rad
I used words to show a big fat idiot that he is, indeed, a big fat idiot.
55/Rad
Now you should do the dead dog in the passenger seat trick...
Old 02-11-08, 01:21 AM
Double D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a followup...

I got so much satisfaction from this that reporting him seemed pointless. I'll sleep on it.
Point would be to help get him off the road before he kills someone.
Old 02-11-08, 01:25 AM
dpr
Insect magnet.

Bikes: Trek 2008 Madone 5.5 Pro, Bianchi 2008 Axis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I aggree with Double D. You've got to report this guy before he does some serious harm. People like that are time bombs.

Kudos for standing up to him but I hope that decision doesn't haunt you.
Old 02-11-08, 01:43 AM
rollin
Sua Ku

Bikes: Trek 5200, BMC SLC01, BMC SSX, Specialized FSR, Holdsworth Criterium

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rad I'm sure you feel better, I'm sure I would have. But you're right, that's not the way.

This loon will just take it out on the next cyclist that he sees. There is just no getting through to some people.

By the way I've had a couple of run ins too so I know how they happen.

Ride safe

(p.s. when I read your post where it said "... peels out in the sand and gravel..." my first thought was god I hope he wasn't riding the chrome Pinarelo, and they say empathy is dying )
Old 02-11-08, 01:45 AM
neilG

Bikes: Madone, De Rosa, Langster, old Brit track iron

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gusboh
Now you should do the dead dog in the passenger seat trick...
I like to carry around a Schraeder valve core tool. Where you gonna find those suckers at 3 AM?
Old 02-11-08, 01:58 AM
photonick
Banned

Bikes: not enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today on the Amgen Break Away From Cancer ride I was riding in the right lane with an older rider in front of me and a couple behind me and i suddenly hear a car come up behind me and i see a jeep wrangler pass me on the right, yell at me to get the **** out of the road and then cuts me off!

I ride up next to him since we are both coming to a stop and I say hey man you don't pass a cyclist on the right thats dangerous. This tough guy 20 something year old maybe a bit older than me with the most angry look on his face proceeds to tell me to get off the road and then i tell him to go check his drivers ed manual and learn how to drive, he responds with you got something to say you wanna start something, i respond with look im just trying to tell you that were in the right here this is legal, he musters up all the power in that little frontal lobe and comes back with "yah well shut the **** up and put some pants on ******" and then peels out.

It put a rain cloud over my whole day, thank god the ride was about over because I honestly didn't even really enjoy the rest of the ride. What really bothered me was that when i went to get a coffee later some jerk in a mercedes SUV parked like an idiot and i had to cram my volkswagen hatchback in my space and drive up on the curb, as i was getting out he confronted me telling me to get my door off his car and i totally unloaded all the stress from the jerk in the Jeep on this guy in front of his kid, i felt really bad afterwards.

What goes around comes around =(
Old 02-11-08, 03:31 AM
Double D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=photonick;6143723]What really bothered me was that when i went to get a coffee later some jerk in a mercedes SUV parked like an idiot and i had to cram my volkswagen hatchback in my space and drive up on the curb, as i was getting out he confronted me telling me to get my door off his car and i totally unloaded all the stress from the jerk in the Jeep on this guy in front of his kid, i felt really bad afterwards.QUOTE]

Dude, don't sweat it. I totally know where you're coming from, but the SUV guy had it coming.

If you don't treat people with respect they probably won't be very happy with you and it'll show. He should be ashamed of himself for being rude to someone who didn't deserve it, and doubly ashamed for doing it in front of his kid!

I'm glad you stuck up for yourself, with any luck he'll think twice before being a classless jerk to the next guy.

It's one thing to ask someone to be careful of your car or offer to move it if needed because you're worried about your paint/body, but if you can't muster up enough courtesy to say s/g besides "get your door off my car" you need to be taught a lesson.

If he didn't learn from you the next guy will probably key his car or slash his tires, the guy after that will whip his ass (by that I definitely mean his pet donkey) and if he hasn't learned how to speak to people by then he may piss off a real sociopath and the sky's the limit then.
Old 02-11-08, 03:31 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
As a followup...

I would have reported him. Especially if he was going into a bar.
Old 02-11-08, 05:10 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Motorists hate us enough already, but we do appreciate your efforts to exacerbate the situation.
Old 02-11-08, 05:11 AM
botto 

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
What's a cager?
Old 02-11-08, 05:12 AM
Zinn-X
proud of his bunny

Bikes: 2006 Masi Gran Corsa Premio custom build: Full 105, Easton EC70 fork, Easton Circuit Wheelset // 2007 Specialized Stumpjumper (stock for now)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
What's a cager?
Someone who builds cages for a living.
Old 02-11-08, 05:13 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

What's a cager?
You need to get a motorcycle.
Old 02-11-08, 05:33 AM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
What's a cager?
A basketball player.
Old 02-11-08, 05:36 AM
daytonian
elitist jerk

Bikes: CAAD9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's always the dualies that get so mad. See alot of these on the country/farm roads. Must be the extra tires they are using to subliminally compensate for an inadequacy somewhere. I used to think long ago that all farmers/people in the country were nice and always friendly. Ride a bike and that goes out the window. Some of the meanest F&^ks out there.
Old 02-11-08, 05:37 AM
daytonian
elitist jerk

Bikes: CAAD9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
correct
Old 02-11-08, 05:44 AM
botto 

i'll wait until i'm 50.
Old 02-11-08, 05:47 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

i'll wait until i'm 50.
You're a cyclist, you may not live that long.
Old 02-11-08, 05:48 AM
botto 

You're a cyclist, you may not live that long.
correct.
Old 02-11-08, 05:50 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

While I ride my bicycle year round, between late April and late October I ride my motorcycle almost daily as well. I give those cages 2+ hours each day to kill me on my road bike, and then another 30+ minutes on my motorcycle. They need all the help they can get.
Old 02-11-08, 05:55 AM
botto 

While I ride my bicycle year round, between late April and late October I ride my motorcycle almost daily as well. I give those cages 2+ hours each day to kill me on my road bike, and then another 30+ minutes on my motorcycle. They need all the help they can get.
?

Old 02-11-08, 06:12 AM
monk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know that there are those that think what you did will cause this guy to take his frustrations out on the next cyclist he encounters. However, I've always been of the opinion that jerks in cars/trucks are brave because just like telling someone off on the phone, they can yell at us and not have to face us - - there's that "anonymity" there. But when you caught up to this guy you ceased becoming some "jerk on a bike" and became a real person. This could make him think twice about acting like a jerk again, who knows. I bet most rednecks don't like being told off by a guy in lycra . . .
Old 02-11-08, 06:30 AM
substructure
RustyTainte

Bikes: zilch

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's a cager?
I think it's a new term that commuters here on this forum have made up for motorists. Like their vehicle is their cage, you know? A way to protect themselves from the outside world. A rat in a cage, if you will.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.