Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike probably too big. How much can I shorten stem?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-08, 08:08 AM
whitemax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Bought a custom frame from a shop a while back who probably did not know as much about sizing as they thought they did. I am 6.1 and the top tube on the frame is 57 cm and currently has a 110 cm stem. Problem is, my back gets extremely stiff after a while even though my legs still feel fresh. I have done all kinds of stretching and strengthening exercises ad nauseum to no avail. I don't have much of a saddle drop so my conclusion is that I must be on a bike that is to big and has me stretched out too far.

Would swapping the stem out for a shorter one make much of a difference? I am well aware that it will change the steering somewhat but don't have any idea how much. I am thinking of starting with a 90 cm stem. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-11-08, 08:12 AM
Jynx

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale CAAD8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
go with a 90mm stem. Also what handlebars do you have? You can go to something with a shorter reach too. Any shorter then that and maybe you should consider a new frame.

Buy your bike parts here
Old 02-11-08, 08:16 AM
rollin
Sua Ku

Bikes: Trek 5200, BMC SLC01, BMC SSX, Specialized FSR, Holdsworth Criterium

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have ridden down to 80mm no adverse effects. In the end I changed bike.

By the way your bike does not sound too small. I'm 5' 7" and ride an effective top tube of 53-54. But if it doesn't feel comfortable for you then I guess it doesn't fit
Old 02-11-08, 08:19 AM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jynx
go with a 90mm stem. Also what handlebars do you have? You can go to something with a shorter reach too. Any shorter then that and maybe you should consider a new frame.
My current bars are Easton EC 70 wingbar. I ride tops and hoods mostly. Drops? Oh my aching back
Old 02-11-08, 08:29 AM
bigskyTi

Bikes: LS Archon T1, LS Ghisallo, QR TiPhoon

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FWIW I'm 6'1.5' and ride an effective TT of 57.5 with a 120 mm stem, so you are in the proper ball park.

However, what is your HT and your drop? This might sound crazy but I Increased my drop by over 3cm and became more comfortable in the neck and back dept.

Proper fit per individual cn aonly be determined through visual anaysis while riding (pictures on the trainer are most effective IMHO) and even then are really just for a starting point to begin the tweeking.

To answer your question though even an 80mm stem is not going to kill you bike.
Old 02-11-08, 08:29 AM
shider

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Trek 2300, Trek Portland, Schwinn Homegrown, Cannondale Road Tandem, Schwinn Le Tour Commuter, Gary Fisher Paragon 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess it all depends on your torso and arm length but I'm between 6'1" and 6'2" and feel comfortable on a 58cm top tube with either a 120mm stem with 90mm reach handlebars (or 130mm stemm and 80mm reach handlebars). Maybe your handlebars are too low? I'd find some place that will work with you to get a better fitting. Expect to spend a couple hours on the bike while they do it.
Old 02-11-08, 08:34 AM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shider
I guess it all depends on your torso and arm length but I'm between 6'1" and 6'2" and feel comfortable on a 58cm top tube with either a 120mm stem with 90mm reach handlebars (or 130mm stemm and 80mm reach handlebars). Maybe your handlebars are too low? I'd find some place that will work with you to get a better fitting. Expect to spend a couple hours on the bike while they do it.
Im guessing here that my drop is only 2 cm so not too aggressive there. A couple of hours on the bike? What else can I do but shorten the stem given the frame is what it is?
Old 02-11-08, 09:16 AM
Hobartlemagne 
Spelling Snob

Bikes: Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Can you move your saddle forward any? That may move you forward enough to give
a little relief.

The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!
Old 02-11-08, 10:02 AM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hobartlemagne
Can you move your saddle forward any? That may move you forward enough to give
a little relief.
I have the saddle set to the position where it is kindest to my behind i.e. where the contours and padding fit just right. It is the Selle Italia SLR. Tried the Fitzik Arionne which did not work as well with regards to comfort.
Old 02-11-08, 10:20 AM
king-tony
Ninja don't wear flipflop

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix SL3, BMC TM01...if it every ships

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could probably go to an 80 cm, but this really sounds like more of a back problem. One thing you can try is dropping the nose of your saddle a little. This will change your hip/back angle a little, but will move more weight to your arms. I would try this first. Rather than looking at stem length and going too short, you may want to look at a stem with more rise. I had a 4-axis that was something like +/- 26 degrees at one time. If your stem is too short you will hit your knees or arms when you get out of the saddle to climb.
Old 02-11-08, 10:48 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Dropping the nose of the saddle could actually cause MORE pressure to be placed on the shoulders, so it's a toss up there.

What size are the bars? You might want narrower bars, and a shorter stem as mentioned above. fwiw I am 5'10" and ride a 56-57cm top tube with a 100-120mm stem.
Old 02-11-08, 10:53 AM
JeffS
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by whitemax
My current bars are Easton EC 70 wingbar. I ride tops and hoods mostly. Drops? Oh my aching back
That might be your problem. No bar drop, plus riding in the hoods could mean you're too bunched up.

My shot-in-the-dark guess would be to lower the bars.

Obviously, we're all just pulling guesses out of our asses here... either go find someone knows how to fit you, or start making changes yourself.
Old 02-11-08, 10:56 AM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Dropping the nose of the saddle could actually cause MORE pressure to be placed on the shoulders, so it's a toss up there.

What size are the bars? You might want narrower bars, and a shorter stem as mentioned above. fwiw I am 5'10" and ride a 56-57cm top tube with a 100-120mm stem.
Yes, dropping the saddle angle may cause some pressure to the shoulders but perhaps that would be the better of two evils. After all, there is no more power in the engine room once the back starts to act up which is extremely frustrating to me. So if I could exchange the back pain for some shoulder discomfort, I'd surely do it though it'd be nice to ride without either. I don't believe I can get any narrower on the bars and still breath efficiently.
Old 02-11-08, 11:00 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
I have the saddle set to the position where it is kindest to my behind i.e. where the contours and padding fit just right. It is the Selle Italia SLR. Tried the Fitzik Arionne which did not work as well with regards to comfort.
Leave the saddle where it is. You should not adjust the reach to the bars with the saddle.
Old 02-11-08, 11:11 AM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS
That might be your problem. No bar drop, plus riding in the hoods could mean you're too bunched up.

My shot-in-the-dark guess would be to lower the bars.

Obviously, we're all just pulling guesses out of our asses here... either go find someone knows how to fit you, or start making changes yourself.
No, I'm not bunched up by any means. I was just joking that riding in the drops makes it even more difficult for my back so I don't ride there very often or for very long. Riding on the tops makes it better but of course then I'm up in the air catching more drag. I like the hoods for the trade off, not as stretched out as in the drops and more aero than on the tops.
Old 02-11-08, 12:04 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Yes, dropping the saddle angle may cause some pressure to the shoulders but perhaps that would be the better of two evils. After all, there is no more power in the engine room once the back starts to act up which is extremely frustrating to me. So if I could exchange the back pain for some shoulder discomfort, I'd surely do it though it'd be nice to ride without either. I don't believe I can get any narrower on the bars and still breath efficiently.
Sorry, I meant to say that the extra pressure on your shoulders could cause MORE back pain.
Old 02-11-08, 02:28 PM
shider

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Trek 2300, Trek Portland, Schwinn Homegrown, Cannondale Road Tandem, Schwinn Le Tour Commuter, Gary Fisher Paragon 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im guessing here that my drop is only 2 cm so not too aggressive there. A couple of hours on the bike? What else can I do but shorten the stem given the frame is what it is?
In my experience a good fitting starts with getting the cleats right, then the saddle position (vertically, fore/aft, and angle) then you start worrying about the handlebar dimensions (width, reach, drop) and position (stem angle and length and spacers) and shifter placement. All the little changes take time to make and it adds up quickly.
Old 02-11-08, 04:09 PM
SSRI

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
have you tried a zero off set seatpost that can also bring you forward with out changing out the stem...
Old 02-11-08, 04:46 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
How is your flexibility? The top tube length doesn't sound too short, and you're not running a lot of drop so your overall reach should, if anything, be a bit on the short side. I'm only 6' and run more drop and a longer top tube.
Old 02-11-08, 05:21 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by SSRI
have you tried a zero off set seatpost that can also bring you forward with out changing out the stem...
This is assuming the OP's saddle is too far back to begin with. I would NEVER move my saddle forward to compensate for a too long stem or top tube. That's asking for knee problems.
Old 02-11-08, 05:31 PM
JayC
Guadzilla

Bikes: Pinarello F4:13 W/Campy Reecord & Blue RC6 W/SRAM Force

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have a brand new FSA OS-115 90mm stem Ill make you a deal on. PM me if interested.
Old 02-11-08, 05:35 PM
geraldatwork

Bikes: 2005 Windsor Kennet, 1982 Raleigh Super Course

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike is probably the right size. As mentioned it might be a back problem. You can try a 90 mm stem. Get one with a rise of about 12 degrees and that will help raise the handlebar to seat drop. I have a similiar problem and got a 90 mm stem with a 17 degree rise which helps a lot.
Old 02-11-08, 05:38 PM
MIN 
big ring

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My too sense:

Leave the seat post and fore/aft, tilt alone.
Try a lower reach bar, such as the Deda Newton Shallow (something under 85mm of reach)
Try a 90-100 stem. 1-2 cm makes a huge difference in stem length.

Given your height and a TT of 57cm, it is entirely possible to achieve appropriate fit on that bike.
Old 02-11-08, 05:54 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
I'm thinking that 6' 1" and a 57 cm top tube is on the short side for most folks looking for an aggressive position. If you have a longer than normal torso for that height (or shorter than normal legs if you are into putting things in the negative), then it might be right. I happen to be one of those folks (just a little taller at 6' 2") and usually the 57 cm top tube is correct for me.

While I am on the older side (53 years old) I'm pretty flexible (close to flat palms when "touching toes" with straight legs) so I run just short of 6" of drop on the one frame that I have that also has a short head tube. The bars have a "middling" amount of drop typical of anatomical bars and it is just about perfect. The other bike I have has a longish head tube and even though I have removed all the spacers and run a negative 17 degree stem I can't get quite enough drop. Maybe I need to change the pedals to ones with really tall cleats!
Old 02-11-08, 06:08 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
A 2 cm drop with 57tt and you are 6'1"? You must be all torso and short legged then. I am 6'1" and ride a 57.5cm tt with 110mm stem and I am not particularly flexible. How long is your head tube and what is your cycling inseam?
OP, you can ride a 80mm stem with no adverse effect to handling so don't sweat that. As the other guys attested, most that are over 6' tall have at least a 57cm top tube so your bike isn't too big.

Last edited by Campag4life; 02-11-08 at 07:43 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.