Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tired of the squeak! But now what?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-08, 03:24 PM
karlkras
CycleManiaque

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Diamondback Podium 7, Focus Izalco Tria 1.0, Surly LHT, Raleigh Technium, Brodie Romax

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm coming to the realization that I need to make a pedal choice change. I've been using Look pedals for most of my road riding clipless career and maybe it's age, but the damn squeak has got to go. I have a set of PP357s and no matter what I try, that darn right pedal won't stop the madness! I've tried just about all suggestions to be found, but I'm agreeing with at least a couple of postings that claim that Look pedals just do that. Come to think of it I'm pretty sure other Look pedals I've had did too, I just was better at ignoring it.

Old habits are hard to break, but what would be a good alternative? I'm fond of SPDs for my touring/MTB use but don't think this is a good choice for road riding, I prefer a good, solid cleat lock in when cranking on my racing bikes and I'd like a fairly wide platform to avoid pressure point issues in the ball of my foot. I guess it also would be nice to have a cleat system that's easier to walk in then Looks, though I religiously use cleat covers when using them. I'm considering Crank Brothers or Speedplays. Oh, and I don't want to remortgage my house to get 'em.
Any suggestions?

thanks,
K2
Old 02-20-08, 03:31 PM
damocles1
The mods changed this...

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano SPD-SL
Old 02-20-08, 03:35 PM
RC2

Bikes: Specialized, Moots, Bridgestone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sure you've tried wax/dry lube, but have you checked for stuck squirrels and kittens? Seriously, I used Look A3.1s for several thousand miles, and now my wife is using them, sans squeek. Assuming it's just the squeak that annoys you, have you had a wrench at a desent LBS give everything (i.e. it may not be the pedal that's squeeking) a once over?

A search on SPD-SL, Look Keo, Speedplay, Time, etc will turn up loads of opinions if you end up purchasing something else.
Old 02-20-08, 05:51 PM
SoNiK

Bikes: Cannondale R800, Curtlo S+S coupled custom road bike, Turner Burner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the Look PP396 for 3 years, and had a bit of squeaking, not too terrible. Then I changed to the new Delta cleat (red) that has the white teflon or whatever...yep the stuff that's supposed to eliminate the noise.
Let me tell you the squeaking then became non-stop....WTF? I endured/suffered for a year, including doing the Etape last year and making myself and everyone else around me miserable with it for 10 frickin' hours! I tried everything except keeping a bucket of motor oil by the door so I could just dip both my entire shoes in it before I headed out.
Meanwhile my GF is on a pair of Look Keo Sprints......not a fraggin' sound.

So after the Etape while still in France I picked up another pair of Sprints for her and 2 pairs of the Keo Carbons for myself.....bliss. Probably have over 4000 miles on them so far....not a sound (from any of the 4 pairs we have).

IMHO if you like Look pedals get a set of Keos and don't look back (sorry for the pun).
Old 02-20-08, 07:10 PM
yogi13

Bikes: '06 Specialized Allez Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get some Keo sprint pedals from PBK; they'll come to around $80, no shipping or sales tax to the US. I've had mine for about a year and a half now, no squeaks.
Old 02-20-08, 07:18 PM
Pharmr
Home, home again

Bikes: Scott S10, Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by damocles1
Shimano SPD-SL

+1