Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Skinny, gray der cable housing for 70’s Schwinn

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-23, 04:34 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts

Oh learned elders of immense C&V Bicycle knowledge,

After many years away from building up a fresh C&V bicycle (or even riding since a year past, on Thanksgiving Day,) I have begun a 1971 Schwinn Super Sport, errand and around the village project.

It’s the cool lemon frame set that I managed to snag here in the “For Sale” sub-forum a few years back. Yep, I’m truly running way behind due to some life stuff and other boring issues.

Pretty much everything is on my work bench, having been bought, cleaned, polished and reassembled already. Not a matching date code and extreme detail restoration as many of you turn out so nicely. Just correct parts and as much original period, and from Super Sports as possible.

Tires are the Kenda repops of the old Puffs that Schwinn shops carried, and I fondly remember pedaling away many happy miles upon. Saddle is an NOS/NIB Brooks B-17 Standard, in black. The ders. are going to both be Suntours, did manage to find an original freewheel cogset from an SS though. Kept the two plateau chain ring Ashtabula crank and rings arrangement, just 1973 AS coded. Brakes will be Weinemann / Dia-Compe mixes, center pulls as speced.

Almost finished with fresh yellow painting, then a coat of clear enamel, followed by a complete set of correct decals.

Last item I am trying to find is the old school skinny, Schwinn/Weinemann derailleur shift housing. Any leads or suggestions on a source would be appreciated. Not looking for handouts or deals, just some info on where to get this specific housing. I have the correct inner cables with the tiny Twin-stik shifter correct ends, and complete cables and housings for the brakes.

Any input, leads, links, maps, biblical citations, etc will be looked upon with much admiration and thanks.

Oh, hi and hello to one and all, hope this didn’t waste too much band width or your time.

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Likes For qcpmsame:
Old 12-05-23, 04:38 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,391 Times in 3,675 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Oh learned elders of immense C&V Bicycle knowledge,

After many years away from building up a fresh C&V bicycle (or even riding since a year past, on Thanksgiving Day,) I have begun a 1971 Schwinn Super Sport, errand and around the village project.

It’s the cool lemon frame set that I managed to snag here in the “For Sale” sub-forum a few years back. Yep, I’m truly running way behind due to some life stuff and other boring issues.

Pretty much everything is on my work bench, having been bought, cleaned, polished and reassembled already. Not a matching date code and extreme detail restoration as many of you turn out so nicely. Just correct parts and as much original period, and from Super Sports as possible.

Tires are the Kenda repops of the old Puffs that Schwinn shops carried, and I fondly remember pedaling away many happy miles upon. Saddle is an NOS/NIB Brooks B-17 Standard, in black. The ders. are going to both be Suntours, did manage to find an original freewheel cogset from an SS though. Kept the two plateau chain ring Ashtabula crank and rings arrangement, just 1973 AS coded. Brakes will be Weinemann / Dia-Compe mixes, center pulls as speced.

Almost finished with fresh yellow painting, then a coat of clear enamel, followed by a complete set of correct decals.

Last item I am trying to find is the old school skinny, Schwinn/Weinemann derailleur shift housing. Any leads or suggestions on a source would be appreciated. Not looking for handouts or deals, just some info on where to get this specific housing. I have the correct inner cables with the tiny Twin-stik shifter correct ends, and complete cables and housings for the brakes.

Any input, leads, links, maps, biblical citations, etc will be looked upon with much admiration and thanks.

Oh, hi and hello to one and all, hope this didn’t waste too much band width or your time.
Hi Bill, welcome back, glad you came out the other side here.

You have been missed and needed.
Likes For merziac:
Old 12-05-23, 04:49 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

the cable casing of which ye speaketh is a product of the firm Etablissements Jeunehomme contract manufactured for the firm of Freres Huret

this firm a maker of brake and gear cables and cable casing to the french cycle industry

some other small bits as well

materials packaged under the brand name EJAC

there is a current provider of replica EJAC casing, unable to recall the web site, others shall be able to post it

as recalled, the replica material is genuine roundwire rather than the flatwire material from all other modern providers

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 12-05-23, 05:18 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 2,197 Times in 963 Posts
Bill, great to see you back and posting!

Just last week I liberated my cable and housing bin from storage after my move from NH to GA. IIRC, I have this housing. I'll check tomorrow and send you a PM or email.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures of your restoration.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 12-05-23, 05:35 PM
juvela

-----

found the name of the modern replica producer - YOK0ZUNA

​​​​​​

Thanks to member Brad_L for sharing this image

-----

Last edited by juvela; 12-05-23 at 05:36 PM. Reason: spellin'
Likes For juvela:
Old 12-05-23, 06:35 PM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 395 Posts
Nice to see another Super Sport being restored. On a couple of mine, I used regular outer housings on the short sections on top. I just very carefully opened up the cable stops ever so slightly on the frame and the shifters. Usually there would then be a short piece of original housing that could be salvaged to use for the bottom bracket area. The upper outer could then match any new brake cables for looks. This was done on bikes with the usual bent and beat up original cable outer.
Old 12-05-23, 06:52 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,391 Times in 3,675 Posts
I have used heat shrink to stabilize the ferrule, both by stripping the outer casing and shrinking it over the outside and used it to build up the casing to fit a bigger one by both shrinking or just slipping it over to make it thicker depending on the fit your trying to wrangle.

You have to futz around a bit but good results can be had.
Likes For merziac:
Old 12-06-23, 09:49 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 2,197 Times in 963 Posts

From top to bottom:
White ribbed-4.68mm
Gray ribbed-4.99mm
Black ribbed (somewhat shy)-4.92
Gray smooth capped end-4.45mm
Gray circular ribbed-4.90mm
Gray IGH shift cable-4.74mm
Steel uncovered-4.13mm
White Shimano 333-4.87mm

All housing diameters measured with digital calipers (the caps on some ends were not measured). I have plenty of all of the above and these appear to be the smallest diameter housings that I have. PM me with your email address and we can work out the details if you believe something will fit.

If you need additional measurements, let me know.
Old 12-06-23, 11:48 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 666 Posts
To keep the Schwinn look and I also like the simplicity of ordering and using bulk cable housing, I use Jagwire Ice Grey.

Schwinn Continental with Jagwire Ice Grey cable housing

I use these Ice Grey cable housings on all my Schwinns and now it has spilled over to the Lambert and Fuji Folder.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 12-06-23, 03:30 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
To keep the Schwinn look and I also like the simplicity of ordering and using bulk cable housing, I use Jagwire Ice Grey.
IMO- Ice Grey is classy and cool.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 12-06-23, 03:56 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 666 Posts
Back to you in just a short bit @pastorbobnlnh, thanx for checking and posting.

@Velo Mule, that looks real close, good enough for my purposes. I'll keep that in mind if need be, thanx much for the tip. I do like your fender mounting tabs. I'm using the chrome Schwinn fenders, specifically for the 27" wheels and the Lightweight width tires. Their stays have the flattened ends, and the eyes on the drops are tapped for small screws so I'll have to hunt up Schwinn's tabs, probably a Wald product.

Bill

The fenders are Velo Orange, so the mounting is different from the Schwinn fenders. By the way, the housing shown is the smaller diameter, compression resistant, derailleur housing. You can also get the Jagwire Ice Grey cable and housing in a set as well.
Old 12-07-23, 09:17 AM
juvela

-----

replica ROUNDWIRE casing -

​​​​​​https://www.sim.works/collections/al...ench-for-brake

and ferrules too

-----
Old 12-09-23, 04:52 PM
robobike316 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 61 Posts
I've got a stash of that stuff, original in good shape various lengths. Send me a PM
Rob
Old 12-09-23, 05:10 PM
juvela

juvela , looked at the shifter cable housing at the link you provided. No silver or gray housing listed there. The clear comes close.

Nice site, I’ve not heard of them before your post. They have some very interesting items listed there. Thanx for the guidance and the link to their site👍

Bill
-----

apologies about them not having the right thing

thought to post it on the chance there might be something there to help other members with a project as well

they even have "Legnano green", aka "lizard green" in some circles

---

wonderful to read this project now returned to front burner

have been here long eno' to recall whenst ye took it in...

all best always

PS - hope you have a front mech lined up for the oversize seat tube

-----

Last edited by juvela; 12-09-23 at 05:12 PM. Reason: spellin'
Old 12-10-23, 03:01 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,213 Posts
I usually prefer grey housing. Goes with everything, and looks classier than black. Pre-pandemic, I was able to find grey Shimano kits for under $13 shipped. What a deal! But now, the least expensive option seems to be these Jagwire kits for $22.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/362297617050
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 12-10-23, 09:39 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
I might start taking this thread personally. I used skinny grey cable housing in the '70s; the years when I piled on a lot of miles. But now, I am just skinny and grey. And every Saturday morning I buy espresso from a barista with a stand at the farmers market who's name is Grey, my age and evolving to the same state.