Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

When purchasing a bike...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-11, 11:04 PM
todayilearned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Do you buy the one they have in stock or do you ask them to order a brand new one?

Is it bad form to ask them to have a brand new one shipped that take what's available at the store?

The only reason I'm asking is because once they start pushing out the earlier years models they've been on display for quite a while...
Old 09-09-11, 11:23 PM
ultraman6970

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well it depends of what u want, is your money.

Is your problem if you take an early model and leave them push you the bike

Personally I have bought only 1 full bike all my life and did not even ride it in the store, I even told the guy to discount the tune up for life crap because they were not going to see me again in that shop probably ever and the guy did as i asked, saved like 400 bucks.

What u can learn from this? that u have to know what you want, if you dont know what u want then the LBS sale man will get you bent over nicely and probably will end with stuff u don't even need.

I dare to say that 70% of this forums buy bike on line and not in LBS, why? because they know what they want and deal sometimes with a kid that have no idea it is painful, more over... probably what they want and need is not even sold in the LBS.

Good luck
Old 09-10-11, 12:06 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Is the bike going to be spoiled?
I am not understanding what is supposed to be wrong with a bike built and on display rather than in a box on a shelf of the supplier somewhere....
Old 09-10-11, 01:15 AM
jamse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ultraman6970
Well it depends of what u want, is your money.

Is your problem if you take an early model and leave them push you the bike

Personally I have bought only 1 full bike all my life and did not even ride it in the store, I even told the guy to discount the tune up for life crap because they were not going to see me again in that shop probably ever and the guy did as i asked, saved like 400 bucks.

What u can learn from this? that u have to know what you want, if you dont know what u want then the LBS sale man will get you bent over nicely and probably will end with stuff u don't even need.

I dare to say that 70% of this forums buy bike on line and not in LBS, why? because they know what they want and deal sometimes with a kid that have no idea it is painful, more over... probably what they want and need is not even sold in the LBS.

Good luck
eh?
Do not buy from a bike shop that offers free tune-ups for life. It is not practical to offer that, since the more a LBS has to tune up, especially for free, the lower quality work they do. It is not a practical and just their way to entice a sale.

Go check out your LBS and talk to them, I work at a bicycle shop and I try to inform my customers as much as possible without overloading them. A good sales person will find out what kind of riding you do, what you are generally wanting, what your price ceiling, and then find a bicycle that will fit your needs.

@ultraman6970 You really did not address the OPs questions. If you are going to give statistics actually know what you are talking about, it is very pretentious. Also, your outlook at bike shops is very cynical.

@todayilearned
  • First figure out whether you want a road, mountain, or hybrid bicycle.
  • If you want a deal on a bicycle they will not be able to offer you anything on a special order, since it does not help them clear inventory.
  • A great time to buy would be around this time of year, when LBS are clearing previous year inventory for the up-coming year.
  • Check out a few bicycle shops in your area, then look online at whatever bicycle you are interested. That will tell you if you are looking at a clearance model or the next years model.
  • Read a few reviews on what interests you.
  • Speak with someone at the bicycle shop and test ride a bike. There is no point of buying a bicycle that looks "cool" if it does not ride comfortably for you.
  • Always ask questions, if you do not know what the components are do not be afraid to ask them to explain what level of components they are.
  • Buy the most bicycle you can afford. It is more expensive to buy parts and then upgrade later. Taking in account for your time, trial and error, buying tools, making mistakes, etc. I value you my time a lot so I do not try to fix my car if it has issues that are over my head.

When you finally decide to chose a bicycle remember you are not only getting a bicycle. You are getting a year or two of free service, warranty on your frame (either life time or 5 years), and warranty on your components (shimano offers 2.)

With an internet bike you do not get any of this, and if you do not know anything about bicycles, what to get, or even how to start searching for one. It is very helpful to get one that will be serviced locally and warrantied.

I have only been working at a bicycle shop for two years and I will not claim I know everything about bicycles. Sure I can tune up a bicycle, but I do find myself asking my boss questions or the other mechanics for help, still to this day. Though during this time I have learned how to communicate with my customers to figure out what they want, and find them a bicycle that fits their needs.

Remember bicycle shops need you to make money, most will not try to take your money and be done with you. The margins on service and accessories you purchase are greater than just on a bicycle. The whole point of asking questions and to visit multiple bicycle shops is to find consistency in what they tell you. It helps you find your LBS.
Old 09-10-11, 01:30 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by todayilearned
Do you buy the one they have in stock or do you ask them to order a brand new one?

Is it bad form to ask them to have a brand new one shipped that take what's available at the store?

The only reason I'm asking is because once they start pushing out the earlier years models they've been on display for quite a while...
Depends what size they've got in stock. If they don't have your size, you have to ask them to order one that is.
Old 09-10-11, 07:06 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If they have the bike in inventory in your size, they're going to want to move it off their floor, so I doubt they'll be very cooperative with ordering one. And you definitely should expect to pay full MSRP if you do order one.

It's not like it goes bad, what's your issue? Test rides? You'll put more miles on it in the first week than all the test rides put together. If the tires are worn, you could ask for new tires.
Old 09-10-11, 03:12 PM
DGlenday

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jamse

(A lot of wise stuff...
Except for this:

Do not buy from a bike shop that offers free tune-ups for life. It is not practical to offer that, since the more a LBS has to tune up, especially for free, the lower quality work they do. It is not a practical and just their way to entice a sale.
Sorry, but with respect, that may be true some times, but at other times, it's just nonsense.

There are 4 major LBSs in my town, and there's hot competition among them. My LBS gave me free tuneups for life, and they've always done a good job. So I asked the owner what the incentive was. His answer - he hopes it builds customer loyalty, so people will buy their upgrades, equipment, clothes, and extras from him - because that's where a lot of the margins are to be found.

It worked - I go tho that LBS for everything.
Old 09-10-11, 03:48 PM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DGlenday
Except for this:

Sorry, but with respect, that may be true some times, but at other times, it's just nonsense.

There are 4 major LBSs in my town, and there's hot competition among them. My LBS gave me free tuneups for life, and they've always done a good job. So I asked the owner what the incentive was. His answer - he hopes it builds customer loyalty, so people will buy their upgrades, equipment, clothes, and extras from him - because that's where a lot of the margins are to be found.

It worked - I go tho that LBS for everything.
^ my LBS mech is freaking awesome, owner rocks and is always competitive with pricing and doesn't hesitate to give awesome advice, he is also an ironman (not sprint tri's) and manages his own racing team... I feel confidant he knows what he is talking about.
Old 09-10-11, 04:22 PM
ultraman6970

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Jamse ...

Well too long

Cya

Last edited by ultraman6970; 09-10-11 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-10-11, 06:01 PM
mustang1

Bikes: 2006 road bike, 2012 cx bike, 2012 carbon rb, 2014 hardtail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by todayilearned

A better way to answer this is when the LBS orders bikes to put on display, would they be ok ordering a bike that has been sitting around, getting test ridden, etc, or would they want a brand-new-from-the-box model to put on display?
Old 09-10-11, 06:58 PM
rbart4506
You blink and it's gone.

Bikes: Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They offer free life time tune ups because it takes a competent mechanic about 5-10mins to tune up your bike...Once it's setup it ain't rocket science to keep it tuned up...
Old 09-10-11, 08:12 PM
amglol

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Roubaix 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
eh?
When you finally decide to chose a bicycle remember you are not only getting a bicycle. You are getting a year or two of free service, warranty on your frame (either life time or 5 years), and warranty on your components (shimano offers 2.)

With an internet bike you do not get any of this, and if you do not know anything about bicycles, what to get, or even how to start searching for one. It is very helpful to get one that will be serviced locally and warrantied.
Why would you not receive the same warranty coverage on a bike/parts bought online? Might want to rethink that...
Old 09-11-11, 06:31 AM
island rider

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by amglol
Why would you not receive the same warranty coverage on a bike/parts bought online? Might want to rethink that...
I think he is talking about used, gray-market, or non-authorized retailers in that case, but could be wrong.
Old 09-11-11, 09:31 AM
UCIMBZ
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In the box.