Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Finally made a decision.

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Finally made a decision.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-15, 07:07 PM
Djworland

Bikes: Mongoose mb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally made a decision.

I first fell in love with Trek FX 7.4
Then I test rode a Cannondale Quick 4, Felt Amazing! Better fit for me.
Than I made a mistake at stopping at the local Specialized dealer. It wasn't really much better fit but the LBS is in my small town and he also lives here. I decided to give him my money over the larger LBS's. I ended up buying (ordering) the Sirrus Elite Disk 2016 model. It's a couple hundred over what I was looking at from the other 2 models but I get hydraulic breaks, better tires over the Cannonade (Cannondale uses a cheap Chinese tire) and the Sirrus has a step up on the components. I was told it will be in this week. (ordered last Saturday)

There's not much on the Specialized brand on the internet and to be honest, I never heard of them till a few months ago when I started shopping But I hear their pretty respected as a brand. It's more than I wanted to spend but I'm almost 55 and this may be my last bike so i went ahead and splurged. Can't wait to put some miles on...
Old 07-15-15, 08:52 PM
altondavis2

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I have a Specialized Sirrus (2013) and I love it. Replaced the tires last month with some Continental Touring tires. Before that I added premium lights and
a computer that works on occasion. I also have a Giant Defy roadbike for special occasions and a Giant Cypress for guests.

I wind up riding the Sirrus more than anything. It works for short or long rides without putting on bike shorts. Its comfortable,
handles great and is pretty fast too.
Specialized is a well known premium brand and is used by 3 of teams in the Tour de France.
Old 07-15-15, 09:38 PM
Triaxtremec

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport, Kona Kahuna 29er, Santa Cruz Nickel 650b, Cannondale CAAD 10

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
good choice! I'm in the same boat as altondavis2, I have a few other bikes including a Cannondale CAAD10 roadbike but I find myself always going back to my Sirrus Sport.
Old 07-15-15, 09:47 PM
BigL_RIP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
all solid choices. Fret not. Trek, Cannondale, Giant, and Specialized are basically perceived to be on the same/top tier of readily accessible LBS bikes. A quick glance at the Tour de France will show you just how many Specialized bikes are in that field. As in auto racing, always good to see a bike manufacturer on the bleeding edge of race technology, so that some of that innovation trickles down into consumer product. I am on the fence between Specialized and Cannondale models as we speak; I'm sure I'm not alone.
Old 07-15-15, 09:48 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Djworland
There's not much on the Specialized brand on the internet and to be honest, I never heard of them till a few months ago when I started shopping But I hear their pretty respected as a brand. It's more than I wanted to spend but I'm almost 55 and this may be my last bike so i went ahead and splurged. Can't wait to put some miles on...
I'm shocked you have never heard of them.

Opinions will no doubt vary, but I see Trek & Specialized as the two leading bike brands in the world, that cater to both beginners & experts alike.

In fact I would even say that Specialized targets the expert user even more so than Trek.

You have bought yourself an excellent bike.
Old 07-15-15, 10:18 PM
FrozenBiker 

Bikes: FX Sport 4 Carbon, Nishiki Hybrid (1x9 mod), Raleigh Sport Comfort

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 60 Posts
I first fell in love with Trek FX 7.4
Then I test rode a Cannondale Quick 4, Felt Amazing! Better fit for me.
Than I made a mistake at stopping at the local Specialized dealer. It wasn't really much better fit but the LBS is in my small town and he also lives here. I decided to give him my money over the larger LBS's. I ended up buying (ordering) the Sirrus Elite Disk 2016 model. It's a couple hundred over what I was looking at from the other 2 models but I get hydraulic breaks, better tires over the Cannonade (Cannondale uses a cheap Chinese tire) and the Sirrus has a step up on the components. I was told it will be in this week. (ordered last Saturday)

Congrats on the bike! Did you get the blue or red? I'm surprised that you were not familiar with Specialized. They're huge
I've been eyeing the 2015 Elite disc, but funds are weighing heavily. Looks like the 2016 has a downgrade in brakes?
Old 07-15-15, 11:10 PM
altondavis2

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Speaking of Cannondale, I went back and rode the Cannondale Quick 5 twice. Really, really liked it, but it turned slow,
the seat felt bulky. The LBS was willing to give me a great price on the Quick 5, but the Sirrus just felt like a sportscar
next to it. It turned better, paused and moved out faster. Not sure what Specialized does, but they have my number.
Old 07-16-15, 04:24 AM
Djworland

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=FrozenBiker;17983789]Congrats on the bike! Did you get the blue or red? I'm surprised that you were not familiar with Specialized. They're huge
I've been eyeing the 2015 Elite disc, but funds are weighing heavily. Looks like the 2016 has a downgrade in brakes?[/QUOTE

I got the navy blue in a large. Not sure about the brakes, same brand but different model. If you look on tektro website, they don't list the Gemini model on the 2015 model. 2016 model may be just a model change with what's available. I don't know.
Old 07-16-15, 06:10 AM
quicktrigger

Bikes: Allez/Motobecane 427HT & Ti/Soma Custom Build

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE=Djworland;17984086]
Originally Posted by FrozenBiker
Congrats on the bike! Did you get the blue or red? I'm surprised that you were not familiar with Specialized. They're huge
I've been eyeing the 2015 Elite disc, but funds are weighing heavily. Looks like the 2016 has a downgrade in brakes?[/QUOTE

I got the navy blue in a large. Not sure about the brakes, same brand but different model. If you look on tektro website, they don't list the Gemini model on the 2015 model. 2016 model may be just a model change with what's available. I don't know.
PLEASE post pics when you get it. I'm eyeing that bike with envy. Going to be upgrading one of my bikes in a few months, and that one is one that I'm strongly looking at as a possibility.

QT
Old 07-16-15, 07:33 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Pictures!!!! please when it comes in! Congrats on your purchase! I too have thrown around the idea of buying one of these next year.
Old 07-16-15, 09:02 AM
Fldaves

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I purchased the Quick 4 over 2 months ago after an exhaustive bike research. It just fit better for me and was able to get a 14 sale price on a 15.

PS: I had the LBS put on Conti 25 Gatorskins which are great on this bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
quick4.jpg (22.2 KB, 12 views)
Old 07-16-15, 09:03 AM
Djworland

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. I don't follow biking really. Not a hardware junky like I am with other stuff. I guess that's why I never heard of specialized. Everyone know Trek from lance. Even if your not into biking, we all heard about the drama of his fall and steroid use.

I'll post pics when I bring it home. Hopefully this week. I'm surprised my LBS can only get 2016 models but sp website still shows the 15 models.
Old 07-16-15, 09:05 AM
Djworland

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a nice bike. It fit me well too.
Old 07-16-15, 11:14 AM
quicktrigger

Bikes: Allez/Motobecane 427HT & Ti/Soma Custom Build

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks. I don't follow biking really. Not a hardware junky like I am with other stuff. I guess that's why I never heard of specialized. Everyone know Trek from lance. Even if your not into biking, we all heard about the drama of his fall and steroid use.

I'll post pics when I bring it home. Hopefully this week. I'm surprised my LBS can only get 2016 models but sp website still shows the 15 models.
Likely they have sold better than expected, and so needed to start selling the 2016's to fill the gap. Since the bikes are built in Asia, by the time they could get more 2015 models, they would already have to sell them at a cut rate. Instead bring forward the 2016's you were stockpiling, and place additional order's for 2016 bikes to fill in the gaps in actual year 2016.

Then you leave the 2015's up on the website to cover those 2015's on the showroom floors until 2016's OFFICIALLY released.

Assuming the above is correct, it's a good problem to have for the bike brands.

QT