Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Time for a new bike. Leap of faith?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-15, 05:15 PM
roadweary

Bikes: Cervelo C3, Felt Z2 Custom Hybrid, Orbea Occam Mt. Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I’m shopping hybrids pretty hard right now. I’m currently riding a 25 year old Klein Rascal that I’ve had since it was new. I bought the frame and components from mail order and had my LBS build it. It’s been a wonderful bike, seen Moab many times and spent day after day in the mountains around Park City. I’m taking this bike to the grave which will keep the afterlife colorful with its purple/pink fade. Now I’m 65 and my rides often never leave asphalt. I’ll still do single track once in awhile but I’d like another beautiful bike—this time built for comfort. I hate drops so I’m looking at the Trek 7.7 FX and Specialized Carbon Comp or Expert. I’ve ridden the Specialized Elite and really liked it. Here’s my problem: I know Trek is an excellent bike and my local dealer is an excellent guy. He spends lots of time with me and pours over sizing geometry. He wants to know every dimension of my Klein as clues to what I’ll like. Unfortunately, all he has for me to ride is a 7.2 FX rental bike and it seemed very ordinary to me. If I can’t ride something very close to the 7.7, how can I know if I’ll like it? Do I just trust that it’s a fabulous bike and this shop owner will make me happy?
Old 06-19-15, 07:49 PM
Triaxtremec

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport, Kona Kahuna 29er, Santa Cruz Nickel 650b, Cannondale CAAD 10

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I personally don't like spending large amounts of money "sight unseen." I have a Sirrus, although not carbon, it has been a great all around bike. Its got some cx tires for some gravel riding and some road tires for leisurely riding.
Old 06-19-15, 10:34 PM
quicktrigger

Bikes: Allez/Motobecane 427HT & Ti/Soma Custom Build

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Go with the one you know IMHO.

QT
Old 06-20-15, 06:35 AM
roadweary

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you've both confirmed what I was feeling. I know the Trek 7.7 is a wonderful bike and I've read a number of threads about people loving it. But I'd sure like to at least sit on one. I'm headed out on a summer road trip and maybe I'll be able to find one in a city like Portland, OR. I hear they have lots of good bike shops.
Old 06-20-15, 09:06 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
The dealer won't order one without a prior purchase********** Can he arrange a ride thru a factory rep?

I wouldn't buy without riding, either!
Old 06-20-15, 09:12 AM
Orange Gato

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Coda Sport

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think your LBS should order the Trek you want in your size for you to try out, without a commitment from you to buy it. Or find a LBS that will do that. That is what I did for my Jamis.
Old 06-20-15, 11:57 AM
dumans24

Bikes: 2016 Trek 8.5 DS, 2010 Felt F4, 1998 Cannondale Silk Path 900, 1975 Schwinn Continental

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agree with Orange Gato. My Trek dealer ordered the bike I wanted (DS 8.5) in my size with no commitment to buy. I did put down a refundable deposit, tho. I got to try it out on a local trail for a few hours ... ended up buying it. I'd think any decent LBS would do the same.
Old 06-20-15, 12:03 PM
roadweary

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't really press my dealer to order in a bike I could try out--maybe I should have. In the area I live in they probably don't turn over the more expensive bikes very quickly. Although the Specialized shop told me that when they started carrying hybrids a few years ago they couldn't keep them in stock. Perhaps in the bike business, ordering in models that the customer decides not buy is part of the business. I'd just hate to feel a moral obligation to purchase a bike I wasn't thrilled with. Maybe that's my hang up and I shouldn't project it to the shop owner (who has been in business for 30 years).
Old 06-20-15, 04:12 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Orange Gato
I think your LBS should order the Trek you want in your size for you to try out, without a commitment from you to buy it. Or find a LBS that will do that. That is what I did for my Jamis.
Touchy situation. I would not buy a $2,000 bike site unseen. Then again, not a huge market for $2,000 hybrids.
Old 06-20-15, 04:53 PM
roadweary

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you're right about the market size for expensive hybrids. But they're right for me. Just for fun I tried a $4000 road bike today. It was pretty sweet but my feelings about drop bars were confirmed. I'd try a $4000 Mt. bike but I'm afraid I might buy it.

Last edited by roadweary; 06-21-15 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-20-15, 08:19 PM
Orange Gato

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Coda Sport

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wonder if there are any LBS owners on this forum? Surely there are people who have worked in shops. I just wonder their opinion on ordering bikes for serious and knowledgable customers in this type of situation.

And I would not feel pressured to buy out of guilt if the LBS ordered a bike for me that I did not like. The customer is always right and I'm am sure that anyone would know that you are not playing around.

BTW, I am curious to know which carbon bike you buy and your review of it. Keep us posted.

Last edited by Orange Gato; 06-20-15 at 08:29 PM.
Old 06-21-15, 11:25 AM
roadweary

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode the Specialized again yesterday and probably the biggest takeaway is that I've fallen in love with disk brakes. The Trek 7.7 has some beautiful dual pivot brakes I'd probably be O.K. with but I'm officially sold on the disks. On my morning ride today I saw mostly road bikes until I headed up a pretty rough road. There's a reason people like road bikes and I don't want to be too stubborn to understand it. I want a very light, reasonably fast bike that's comfortable to ride. With my hands on the hoods of drop bars I think I might be sitting more upright than even a hybrid. I'd be frustrated if it wasn't so much fun shopping for a new bike!
Old 06-21-15, 12:02 PM
ColdCase

Bikes: Crosstrail Comp Disc

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Orange Gato
I wonder if there are any LBS owners on this forum? Surely there are people who have worked in shops. I just wonder their opinion on ordering bikes for serious and knowledgable customers in this type of situation.
I find that LBSs are happy to special order any bike they can get their hands on. But special order requires a 50% deposit and is no returns, so the expectation is the buyer better know what he is doing.
Old 06-21-15, 02:41 PM
roadweary

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike shops are in a tough spot. Shops in all but the biggest cities probably can't afford inventories to carry every model of bike--especially on the high end. But I understand that manufacturers sponsor demo days at shops so customers can try everything out. If I could hit a Trek demo event somewhere who knows what I might bring home....
Old 06-21-15, 02:49 PM
ShortLegCyclist

Bikes: Many bikes in three states and two countries, mainly riding Moots Vamoots, Lynskey R265 disc and a Spot Denver Zephyr nowadays

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadweary
Bike shops are in a tough spot. Shops in all but the biggest cities probably can't afford inventories to carry every model of bike--especially on the high end. But I understand that manufacturers sponsor demo days at shops so customers can try everything out. If I could hit a Trek demo event somewhere who knows what I might bring home....
Bike Shows are a good option for that too, if your city has any. Here's a link to Seattle's: Seattle Bicycle Expo | Cascade Bicycle Club
Old 06-21-15, 02:55 PM
roadweary

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the link. I'll see what's out there.