Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

[Just Curious] Can a Hybrid be converted to a Road Bike?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-15, 11:42 AM
RomansFiveEight

Bikes: Nashbar CR5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

So I just ordered my first Hybrid, a Fuji Absolute 2.1. A pretty decent bike, with Shimano Altus shifting components and a decent crank/stem/etc. 23 speed, with; yes, one of those granny rings on the front. (Which I'm sure I'll be glad to have as a beginner). I rode one they had but it was too small, but it felt great. The road bikes were all so much more expensive, and though there are Road bikes in that same $450 range, the Hybrids in that price range seemed to be a much better value.

I did ride a couple proper 'road bikes' around the parking lot. And I really liked the feel. I really liked the riding position. And I really liked the performance. BUT, it was obvious my 'extra weight' was less than compatible, and it was obvious I was going to have some strain after just a short ride. The shop owner suggested I start with a hybrid, then just 'trade it in' when I've lost the last bit of weight (I've lost 122lbs so far), and built up some muscles and flexibility; and can be more comfortable and more confident on a Road Bike.

But, just out of my own curiosity (nothing I'm considering doing now or probably even in the next year; but much farther down the road). But is it possible/practical to add drop bars, STI shifters, swap gearing; and have a quasi-road bike? Or is that just not done? (Or perhaps a poorer value than trading in or just adding a road bike to the stable)

This is just a curiosity, at the end of the day. Thinking out loud, if you will.

Thoughts?
Old 01-06-15, 12:36 PM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I think you'd be better off just buying a road bike. Here are some issues: You swap out the flatbars for the drop bars. This means you need to swap out the shifters as well. You'll probably want "brifters" which means different brake levers. So far, no big deal - but, will you get drop down shifters compatible with your front and rear derailleurs? I don't know, but that's a consideration. You want to match the indexing. A bike mechanics can tell you about that. Next, you'll want to swap out tires for a narrower one - probably "25's" and possibly "23's" Will your rims accommodate that? But other than those things, no problem.
Old 01-06-15, 12:39 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
People normally don't. The frames aren't that big of an issue, it's all the other stuff, so it's easier to just go get a proper road bike when you feel the need.
Old 01-06-15, 01:04 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 1,004 Times in 514 Posts
Many people do make the change, but it is not without issues. Most flat bar bikes use MTB derailleurs, which pull more cable per shift than the road bike derailleurs. The frame geometry may require a different stem to get the bars in the correct place. If you do have to change wheels, a lot of hybrids use the MTB standard 135mm axle, where the road bikes are 130mm.

One way around this is trekking bars, which can use the flat bar shifters and brakes, but still give you a variety of hand positions. They are also pretty inexpensive, bars and bar tape would be under $50.
Old 01-06-15, 01:13 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Figure out what you want your final weight to be - and divide that by the number of weeks until you get there. Using that figure, figure out how much you have to put away every week, to reward yourself with a road bike when you attain that weight. $10 a week, is 520 bucks in only one year.

Keep the Hybrid for a utility bike, with racks and panniers for hauling stuff.............
Old 01-13-15, 02:38 PM
Captlink

Bikes: Univega/custom,Evil Brut Fatbike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If weight is any issue you could use some of the parts from your hybrid and build a 29er.They have strong frames better brakes and a smoother ride than a roadie.Add some road tires and the speed these things will do is scary.You don't need to loose those nice low gears either.
Old 01-13-15, 09:47 PM
RomansFiveEight

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
Figure out what you want your final weight to be - and divide that by the number of weeks until you get there. Using that figure, figure out how much you have to put away every week, to reward yourself with a road bike when you attain that weight. $10 a week, is 520 bucks in only one year.

Keep the Hybrid for a utility bike, with racks and panniers for hauling stuff.............
I've already got that figured out! I should hit 175 by the third week of August. That's not a bad idea. I may just start pinching pennies and saving for a road bike. We'll see.
Old 01-14-15, 02:29 AM
vert02

Bikes: 2013 Fuji Absolute 1.4

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi there mate,

am currently using Fuji 1.4 Absolute 2013 model.

why not instead of getting a road bike look,you opt for a road bike feel..
I did major upgradation for my fuji and it feels like a lot like roadbike...here's what u need to consider:

1. road groupset
2. slick tyres and mid range wheelset
3. narrow handlebar

i made the switch and it is awesome!
Old 01-14-15, 10:50 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
N + 1. If you are loving your hybrid when ready to buy a road bike, buy the roadie and have a spare bike. I ride almost every day now so it's fun to switch up bikes depending on my mood, the ride ahead, or a mechanical issue. BTW, I've also added a trekking bike to the garage and took it on a self-supported bike tour down the CA coast and I'm thinking about getting something vintage.

I guess I am hooked.
Old 01-15-15, 09:37 PM
Triaxtremec

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport, Kona Kahuna 29er, Santa Cruz Nickel 650b, Cannondale CAAD 10

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
congrats on the weight loss! It most certainly can be done but to do it properly with a new groupset it may be cheaper in the long run to just get a new bike. And who doesn't like a new bike! Most hydrids are a 3x9 set up with roadbikes being 2x10 with a much different gear ratio.
Old 01-15-15, 09:42 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
My spare bike is a converted Bianchi Advantage. It's easier to do if you go with friction shifters.
Old 01-15-15, 09:45 PM
RomansFiveEight

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Triaxtremec
congrats on the weight loss! It most certainly can be done but to do it properly with a new groupset it may be cheaper in the long run to just get a new bike. And who doesn't like a new bike! Most hydrids are a 3x9 set up with roadbikes being 2x10 with a much different gear ratio.
Thanks!

Yeah, I guess that's the route for me! When I feel like I'd be comfortable on a road bike; I'll move up to one! Hang on to the Hybrid. Maybe put a pair of fenders on it and a rack for my briefcase and make it a bonafide commuting machine

The Fuji has an adjustable handlebar that can get pretty low. The main thing I want a road bike for is the varying riding positions and just the overall Road Bike position and feel. Lowering the stem, lowering the adjustment on the handlebars, and maybe adding some sort of clip-ons will give me all the varying positions and comfort I need.

Plus, I'm sure that granny ring will come in handy on these early rides. Another intimidating factor of starting on a road bike was the more aggressive gearing. Walk before you run!

It's hard to find pics of this bike; but here's one of the 3.0 (which has grip shifters and a lower overall component set. The 2.1 seemed like a MUCH better value in terms of quality name-brand components.) But it's the same idea. And maybe other Hybrids are like that; I dunno. But as you can see on the step, the handlebar height is adjustable. A slammed stem and the handlebar adjusted to be flat in front would be plenty aggressive. With some clip-ons, I'd have the riding position I want (eventually) and the granny gearing I need. Then, when I'm ready, might as well take the other advantages of a road bike and just bite the bullet.

Old 01-21-15, 11:39 PM
Triaxtremec

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport, Kona Kahuna 29er, Santa Cruz Nickel 650b, Cannondale CAAD 10

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
if hand position is an issue you can always add bar ends or change out the handlebars themselves to something more accommodating.