Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Different kinds of saddle rails and clamps

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-13, 11:14 AM
Pepper Grinder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

From the Competitive Cyclist review of the Selle Italia Flite Gel Flow:
Selle Italia designs with the idea that saddles are on the receiving end of more force today than they were 10 years ago. Wheels are stiffer and frames are stiffer, meaning that more shock is concentrated on the saddle rails than used to be the case. It is also for this reason that Selle Italia prefers that people use vertical-clamp saddle fixing mechanisms and use saddle rail cradles that are at least 30mm in length. They believe these designs spread the stresses on the saddle over a much greater area and do a great job of reducing the risk of fatigue-related stress fractures.
Emphasis mine.

What exactly is a "verticle-clamp saddle fixing mechanism"? I'm using a Salsa Promoto seatpost; am I at risk of bending or breaking saddle rails? Are there seatposts that are more 'gentle' on saddle rails? Are they worth upgrading to?

Old 02-17-13, 11:26 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
You have the vertical style. The side clamp style is essentially like the old fashioned seat clamps that were typically separate from the post (but not always).

Your clamp has two separate supports on each side, rather than one continuous one. Lacking any widespread reports of folks breaking rails and given that you are not a heavyweight I would not worry about that aspect.
Old 02-17-13, 11:29 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
What exactly is a "verticle-clamp saddle fixing mechanism"?
I'm guessing .. just offer data points .. I bought one of Race Face's Seatposts..
they clamp in from the side, but seem to support the rail fine..

so do the generic saddle clip. are they thinking of excluding those ..

perhaps the translation from Italian is vague? Competitive Cycle , in Colorado,

Since its a online shop selling stuff with a website and a 'contact Us' link,

Why didn't you ask them, First?
Old 02-17-13, 11:35 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Since I've never seen a "horizontal clamp saddle fixing mechanism" I really don't know what they are describing. The real question is are riders breaking saddle rails with great (or greater) frequency than they used to or is this just marketing-speak?

I have several saddles with both Cr-Mo and Ti rails that have been ridden over 30,000 miles each using Kalloy, Easton and Thomson seatposts and have never broken any of them. The Thomsons posts do have saddle clamps about 40 mm long but the Eastons only about 20 mm and it has made no difference.

Then again. I weigh about 150. If I weighed 275 I might be more concerned.
Old 02-17-13, 12:01 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I was not aware that saddle rail breakage was a widespread problem in need of a solution.
Old 02-17-13, 03:07 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Perhaps too many TI rail Saddles sold to People that should have used a steel rail instead ,
but cared more about what the parts weighed..
Old 02-17-13, 04:23 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
I was not aware that saddle rail breakage was a widespread problem in need of a solution.
It used to be, for weight weenies, before we started getting decent, inexpensive consumer-grade Ti from the former Soviet Union. Well, I once tried an aluminum railed saddle and broke it by the end of its first riding season. Lesson learned. I went back to steel for the duration.

But I can see how the short cradle of that Salsa post could put more stress on the rails, and if I was a heavyweight using that post I'd either lose weight, lose the post, or get a steel railed saddle.
Old 02-17-13, 06:32 PM
superfred

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My aluminum Domane came with a budget seatpost that uses a side clamps instead of a vertical clamp. What are the primary shortcomings of using side clamping instead of vertical clamping? I've been looking all over the internet and I haven't found a nice article describing the pros and cons of each clamping mechanism. I'm planning to upgrade my saddle so I don't want to break a new expensive saddle inadvertently.
Old 02-17-13, 07:09 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by superfred
My aluminum Domane came with a budget seatpost that uses a side clamps instead of a vertical clamp.
Tom Ritchey came up with that design and it's been around for quite a few years. Some people report tremendous difficulty adjusting their saddles with it, and some report that they can't get it tight enough to keep their saddles from slipping.

I have the same mechanism on the cap of my Madone and have had no trouble with it whatsoever. Since I got the bike in November. If you decide to use a saddle with carbon rails Bontrager offers an aftermarket clamp to fit these.