Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Electrical tape as rim tape?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Electrical tape as rim tape?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-13, 06:06 PM
bhchdh 

Bikes: '07 Trek 520, '09 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '88 Trek 660, '92 Trek 930, Trek Multitrack 700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flying Merkel
Used to use friction tape. It seems to have disappeared from the market
Still available. https://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cata...gry=Search+All
"When I hear another express an opinion, which is not mine, I say to myself, He has a right to his opinion, as I to mine; why should I question it. His error does me no injury, and shall I become a Don Quixot to bring all men by force of argument, to one opinion? If a fact be misstated, it is probable he is gratified by a belief of it, and I have no right to deprive him of the gratification."

T. Jefferson
Old 04-08-13, 11:45 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Friction tape is readily available. Maybe cheaper than rim tape, but don't see any advantage otherwise.

Packing tape will end with similar sticky mess to electrical tape- I avoid that stuff.

How about Tyvek with spray adhesive?
Old 04-09-13, 01:22 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
On MTBs, well, on anything with decently wide tires, I've used two layers of electrical tape with no issues whatsoever.
Since there's been no issues, gunk removal isn't much of a concern. Compared to the time I'm likely to spend on the root cause that prompted tape removal in the first place it pretty much becomes a non-issue.
Thin tires/ higher pressures, you need better stuff.

But all electrical tapes aren't created equal, there may well be some that perform poorer than others. Not that I've met any that's been critically poor for bicycle use.

I have used the filament-reinforced stuff too. It tends to wrinkle a bit, but it's as strong as you may ever wish for.

The current favourite is a monofilament banding tape from stokvis called MOPP or something like that. Thin and slippery, can be stretched into the middle channel w/o drama. Use two layers. Haven't been on long enough for me to be able to say anything about removal. Works with tubeless setups.

Haven't had any problem with Velox, but I can't really see its greatness either.
Previous favourite was a Park-blue textile unbranded tape. Thinner than Velox, which is an advantage, and otherwise just as good.
Old 04-09-13, 06:48 AM
ksisler

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rowebr
Hi everyone, I'm looking for advice about whether electrical tape is a reliable substitute for cotton rim tape. I installed new tires for a friend yesteday, but the fit was so extremely tight that I was initially unable to mount the tires. So I removed the cotton rim tape and replaced it with electrical tape, dusted the rim with talcum powder, and was then able to mount the tire with only a minor struggle. Is this a reliable solution? If not, what else should I try instead? Thanks in advance for your advice.
OP: Best advice is no; not even close. If you don't have an LBS, get on www.amazon.com and go to the outdoor sports and search for Velox rim tape (PM if you need assist with that). Runs about $3USD per roll. You need one roll per rim. For the width, measure the width of the flat channel at the bottom of the rim. Get the width that will lay flat on the bottom of the channel, rounding upward by a mm or two at most. Don't go wider than that nor narrower. Put it on tight and rub it down well. Will save you a lot of follow up posts for odd/inexplicable flats, tire damage, etc.
Old 04-09-13, 06:53 AM
ksisler

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bhchdh
bhc; It has generally become hard to find because too many folks needing exactly that product pick up a $0.99 cent roll of crappy plastic electical tape instead, assuming it might be just as good and hoping to save $2 instead of simply doing the job right... Now that sounds familiar to the OP's post doesn't it?
Old 04-09-13, 08:33 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by OldRoadman
My substitute has been Johnson & Johnson 1/2" inch waterproof tape. Basically cloth tape impregnated with rubber. Cheap, sticks good and applies easily. Any drug store has it.
+1
Medical tape has been my go-to when the bike-specific tape is not at hand.
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Old 04-09-13, 08:35 AM
TromboneAl

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On a related note: I try to get white or light-colored rim tape, since that makes it easier to check that the tube isn't where it shouldn't be after fixing a flat.
Old 04-09-13, 08:53 AM
cderalow

Bikes: 2012 GT Transeo 3 2014 Cannondale CAAD 10 105

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FYI best source for 'friction' or grip tape is hockey or lacrosse stores. frequently used to wrap sticks (i've probably got 15 rolls of the stuff in my garage ranging in size from 1/4" to 2" width
Old 04-09-13, 11:58 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by Jed19
Why not just buy regular rim tape and take care of the problem once and for all?
I posit that two layers of electrical tape is not only perfectly reliable, but even superior to the hallowed Velox, simply because it's much thinner and thus doesn't get in the way of the bead during un/mounting.

The trick is to use a name-brand tape like Nitto or 3M , and apply pre-stretch to prevent it blowing into the nipple holes. General tip: to minimise the creeping of stretched tape, finish with a few inches unstretched... but this is under a pressurised tube, and you put three layers (doubled up the ends) around the valve, right? I cut a little x for the valve hole. I've put up to 160psi (seating a stubborn tyre) up against it.

This works because if you have decent tape it'll stretch until it's about 70% of its original width, and then suddenly get a lot less stretchy, but still retain much of its strength. The cheap stuff will stretch a lot more and break too easily, not to mention having crappy adhesive that allows the tape to creep sideways into the holes. The adhesive on the better tape generally leaves little residue too.
Old 04-09-13, 12:09 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
I posit that two layers of electrical tape is not only perfectly reliable, but even superior to the hallowed Velox, simply because it's much thinner and thus doesn't get in the way of the bead during un/mounting.

The trick is to use a name-brand tape like Nitto or 3M , and apply pre-stretch to prevent it blowing into the nipple holes. General tip: to minimise the creeping of stretched tape, finish with a few inches unstretched.
Agreed. The first time I used electrical tape it was for expediency since I wanted to finish the wheel build and go for a ride and the bike shops weren't open. But I found that the thinner electrical tape made tire changing much easier and it held up fine for the life of the wheel with up to 120 psi in the tires. Since then when I've had wheels where the tire was hard to change I remove the Velox or similar rim tape and replace it with electrical tape to make subsequent changes easier.
Old 04-09-13, 12:38 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Probably lighter than almost anything else too.

Also, that fibreglass-reinforced stuff is a real mongrel to remove when it gets old.

Disclaimer: obviously, it's no good for single-walled rims.
Old 04-09-13, 03:09 PM
Lazarus Short

Bikes: Diamondback Apex/GT fork (modded)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used everything from nylon-reinforced packing tape (works well) to 16mm movie film (also works well). Currently I'm trying three layers of ordinary 3M transparent tape on one MTB rim, and duct tape on the other. Around here, thorns and goat-heads are a bigger worry.
Old 04-09-13, 03:14 PM
chvid

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Gorilla tape is excellent - (super duper duct tape)...you can tear it very accurately linearly to get a strip of exactly the right width. The width is retained throughout the lengthwise tear. It is also very tough.
Old 04-09-13, 03:20 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Don't be a cheapskate and just forget all the other stuff and go get proper rim tape from your LBS! Just not worth doing so with a wheelset that you might ride everyday.
Otherwise we'll tell you to use the paper you take off the sticky strips on envelopes or the freebe paper measuring tape from IKEA or use the left over propellant in spray cans to air up your tires next....

Chombi
Old 04-09-13, 09:29 PM
rowebr

Bikes: 1981 Bianchi Limited 650B conversion (sold), 1985(?) Guerciotti retro-roadie, 2018 Specialized Allez Sprint, 2012 Specialized Crux, mid 80's Focus MB-400

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi
Don't be a cheapskate and just forget all the other stuff and go get proper rim tape from your LBS! Just not worth doing so with a wheelset that you might ride everyday.
Otherwise we'll tell you to use the paper you take off the sticky strips on envelopes or the freebe paper measuring tape from IKEA or use the left over propellant in spray cans to air up your tires next....

Chombi
Some of these ideas are great! Yeah I ordered the Continental Easy Tape that was suggested earlier.
Old 04-10-13, 10:06 PM
riderlife

Bikes: Custom bmx, giant tcr advanced

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anyone ever tried using the tape hockey players use to wrap their sticks?
Old 04-10-13, 10:20 PM
pierce
S'Cruzer

Bikes: too many

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by riderlife
Has anyone ever tried using the tape hockey players use to wrap their sticks?
no, but I wrapped a hammer handle with old school french sticky black bar tape. worked great.
Old 04-10-13, 11:06 PM
Pepper Grinder

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Seconding gorilla tape.