Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Handlebar warnings

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Handlebar warnings

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-14, 07:55 PM
storckm
Cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Handlebar warnings

My black trekking handlebars arrived in the mail from Nashbar today. I was surprised to see a number of warnings, including the suggestion to replace "dented, bent, or scratched handlebars before riding." When is replacing a handlebar really necessary?
Old 01-30-14, 08:12 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
It depends on the alloy, temper and construction, and the location of the damage.

Modern handlebars are often built of loss forgiving alloys (like 6061 or 7000 series) and these can be prone to breakage at scratches or notches. The earlier stuff could be ridden post crash with no worries. OTOH the older stuff was heavier.

Also, deepen than just cosmetic scratches near the stem are of greater concern than similar scratches would be farther outboard. This is because of any lever is always more likely to fail near the fulcrum. (A physics lesson children learn at an early age if they live in cities where seesaws are made of wood.

Other than a legitimate concern about potential breakage, expect to see more stickers like this on everything as the first line of defense manufacturers erect against lawsuits.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-30-14, 08:13 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
the nature of Alloys of aluminum (and Ti) is the scratch can become a stress rise with fatigue

and become the Break , fault line..

When , depends on the situation super light and racing Cyclocross , I wouldn't get too attached to any handlebar

ditto for rough mountain biking ,,
Old 01-30-14, 08:43 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4211 Post(s)
Liked 3,881 Times in 2,316 Posts
Having watched three different bars break and dump the riders I'm careful about them. Well, actually I don't take any unique precautions but I also don't use the stupid light stuff that's been so trendy in the last decade. Andy.
Old 01-30-14, 08:47 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Having watched three different bars break and dump the riders I'm careful about them. Well, actually I don't take any unique precautions but I also don't use the stupid light stuff that's been so trendy in the last decade. Andy.
I also don't like worrying about bike failures. I'm still using 2000 series alloy bars from the Bronze Age.
I like saving weight as much as anybody, but I'm finicky about where and how it's done.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 01-30-14, 09:12 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
The greatest danger from "dented, bent, or scratched handlebars" is to the manufacturers and sellers from false or exaggerated claims of liability.
Old 01-31-14, 08:45 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Those warnings are kind of like "lawyer lips" on drop outs. Just use careful observation and commons sense if something damages them.
Old 01-31-14, 08:58 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 377 Posts
No doubt those warnings have as much (or more) to do with liability than anything else. However, handlebars and stems is not where I'm concerned with saving weight. I'm not a fan of pavement dentistry.
Old 01-31-14, 09:10 AM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 89 Posts
If the bars crack at an inboard scratch, how much warning do you typically get? It doesn't really just up and snap in an instant, does it?
Old 01-31-14, 09:30 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by storckm
My black trekking handlebars arrived in the mail from Nashbar today. I was surprised to see a number of warnings, including the suggestion to replace "dented, bent, or scratched handlebars before riding." When is replacing a handlebar really necessary?
When they are "dented, bent or scratched" Sometimes before they are dented, bent or scratched. Back in the mid90s "hyperlite" was all the rage in mountain biking. Combine a 25.4mm aluminum tube with a very thin wall and add in a lot of off-road impacts and you have a recipe for disaster. It was suggested at the time to replace those kinds of handlebars at least yearly. Modern handlebars...especially mountain bike bars...have a larger cross-section at the stem which increases their strength and rigidity. They can be made pretty light without the level of failure of the old hyperlite bars.

But, in all honesty, if you have managed to dent a handlebar, you should replace it. If you have managed to bend a handlebar, you should definitely replace it. If you scratch a handlebar, it depends on how deep. If you can see through to the inside of the handlebar, put away the hacksaw and replace it. If you can barely see it, keep riding. Anything in between those extremes is a judgement call.

Originally Posted by arex
If the bars crack at an inboard scratch, how much warning do you typically get? It doesn't really just up and snap in an instant, does it?
It depends. Cracks in aluminum can propagate quickly but the material doesn't shatter like glass (as some would have you believe). Aluminum is a soft metal. It tears more than it shears. I've had lots and lots of aluminum parts and frames fail as well as having lots and lots of steel parts fail. I can not recall having had an aluminum part shear off with a loud "PING!". All of my aluminum failures...frames, wheels and cranks... have sent all kinds of signals of impending failure. All of the failures have been proceeded by creaks and groans for a long time before failure. I didn't really pay attention to the creaking and groaning so the final failure can be somewhat surprising but the signs were all there.

Steel parts, on the other hand, have never given any sign of impending failure. They all when "PING!" and failed. Axles that have broken have just sheared into two pieces. Spokes just pop. Frames have been fine one second and have been broken the next. Pedals just shear right off and put you on the ground...hopefully without ripping your legs to pieces on the way down. This makes sense when you look at the properties of steel. It's a stiff, brittle material. It's strong but once you've developed a crack, the crack will propagate rapidly across the part.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 01-31-14 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-31-14, 09:37 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Originally Posted by arex
While I've seen only a few bars (both drops and flat) that have had cracks near the stem (including working through the 1990s Specialized recall) these were all still in one piece. It was during the service of the bikes that these cracks were found (and there's something to take away).

The few I have watch break during riding came quite quickly. But all of these were drops that had cable routing holes drilled in them and rather crudely at that. Two with the same rider who, while "sprinting' away from a stop, simple found the rt side of the bar in his still rising hand. He basically did a dive down to the drive on the left.

So to answer the question as to the rapidness of a stress riser giving out completely- I think that the answer is an opinion. In that if the rider had no knowledge of a started crack, the failure will be called "instantaneous". And if the rider regularly looks for the signs of failure he will say there's almost always an indication of the pending failure. And that's the other take away, check your equipment periodically! Andy.
Old 01-31-14, 10:14 AM
BikeWise1
30 YR Wrench

Bikes: Waterford R-33, Madone 6.5, Trek 520

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
A few years ago, a customer came in for a tune up and bar tape job. Upon removing the old tape, I realized the bar was covered in a foul-smelling salt/sweat/powdery crust mix. This man's sweat was particularly corrosive, and there were literally holes all the way through the aluminum in several places, mainly just below the brake levers. These were unhardened plain alloy bars. Horrified, I called him and told him of the need to replace them. He brushed this off as an attempt to pad the bill and told me to retape the bars. I did as he asked, but noted my objections on the work order. 4 months later, I received a letter from an attorney seeking responsible parties to the failure of Mr. X's bicycle after we had worked on it. The bars had failed while Mr. X was sprinting in the drops and he had crashed badly, taking a few others down in the process. I faxed over a copy of the original work order with my objections noted, and underlined the part about "CUSTOMER TOLD DO NOT RIDE HIS LITESPEED BICYCLE, SERIAL # XXX UNTIL HANDLEBARS ARE REPLACED". Below that was a line that said "I acknowledge the danger and will not ride this bicycle until properly repaired", and patted myself on the back for having had the foresight to have the customer sign underneath. I followed that with a letter asking if his client was an adult, capable of making decisions, possessing the ability to follow directions, and was able to comprehend written English.

I never heard from either of them again.

So I get why manufacturers cover their products in warnings, but with handlebars, they're generally pretty cheap, easy to replace, and not worth breaking your face over. When in doubt, replace it.
Old 01-31-14, 10:55 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Originally Posted by BikeWise1
A few years ago, a customer came in for a tune up and bar tape job. Upon removing the old tape, I realized the bar was covered in a foul-smelling salt/sweat/powdery crust mix. This man's sweat was particularly corrosive, and there were literally holes all the way through the aluminum in several places, mainly just below the brake levers. These were unhardened plain alloy bars. Horrified, I called him and told him of the need to replace them. He brushed this off as an attempt to pad the bill and told me to retape the bars. I did as he asked, but noted my objections on the work order. 4 months later, I received a letter from an attorney seeking responsible parties to the failure of Mr. X's bicycle after we had worked on it. The bars had failed while Mr. X was sprinting in the drops and he had crashed badly, taking a few others down in the process. I faxed over a copy of the original work order with my objections noted, and underlined the part about "CUSTOMER TOLD DO NOT RIDE HIS LITESPEED BICYCLE, SERIAL # XXX UNTIL HANDLEBARS ARE REPLACED". Below that was a line that said "I acknowledge the danger and will not ride this bicycle until properly repaired", and patted myself on the back for having had the foresight to have the customer sign underneath. I followed that with a letter asking if his client was an adult, capable of making decisions, possessing the ability to follow directions, and was able to comprehend written English.

So I get why manufacturers cover their products in warnings, but with handlebars, they're generally pretty cheap, easy to replace, and not worth breaking your face over. When in doubt, replace it.
This posting opens up a whole 'nuther thread. I've been in the same place as BW1 has been in and have "gotten out of the line of fire" because of the service ticket write up that i did a couple of times. I also am surprised at how complacent some shops I've worked in have been about how they note and get sign offs of questionable conditions that are not repaired. Perhaps some one will start a thread on the topic of shop service tickets and customer notifications. Andy.
Old 01-31-14, 12:40 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,383 Times in 7,211 Posts
...I've had one alloy bar failure at the stem junction. it did not completely separate, but
I still pretty much lost control of the bike, but did not crash, so I guess you get "some" warning.

Nevertheless I found it very disconcerting, and generally try to use bars with a steel sleeve
at the point where they run through the stem. I see guys using carbon bars around here, and
I think that they are way more adventurous than me.
Old 01-31-14, 12:56 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I've had one alloy bar failure at the stem junction. it did not completely separate, but
I still pretty much lost control of the bike, but did not crash, so I guess you get "some" warning.

Nevertheless I found it very disconcerting, and generally try to use bars with a steel sleeve
at the point where they run through the stem. I see guys using carbon bars around here, and
I think that they are way more adventurous than me.
On the flip side, I saw a carbon bar save someones life once. We were in heavy traffic on a fairly narrow arterial road. In a place where you'd least expect it, my friend was doored. He caught the edge of the door on the handlebar, which normally would have the bike turn into the car and throw him into the traffic. Instead, his carbon bar shattered and he was able to slip past the car, and managed a controlled stop.

This almost had me rethinking my tough Fiamme bars, but not quite.

BTW- one of the negative consequences of boilerplate warning stickers on everything, is that there's no way for the user to discern between boilerplate and serious warnings of an important hazard. Not all aluminum bars are equal. Those riding heaier mid level bars can probably ignore the sticker as boilerplate, but it could be a serious and meaningful warning for those riding top end ultralight bars. Unfortunately, unless the user alrady knows the difference, he has no basis on which to decide.

Old 01-31-14, 02:35 PM
Coal Buster

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Yet, if he'd sold the bike immediately after and someone else had crashed, not knowing of the problem hidden by the your tape job, I wonder if your signed receipt would have gotten you off the hook.
Old 01-31-14, 02:44 PM
BikeWise1
30 YR Wrench

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Coal Buster
Yet, if he'd sold the bike immediately after and someone else had crashed, not knowing of the problem hidden by the your tape job, I wonder if your signed receipt would have gotten you off the hook.
Pretty sure my attorney would argue that the bike was sold in a dangerous condition of which the owner had, from his own admission, been made fully aware.
Old 01-31-14, 03:09 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Bell ain't BSing when they put those labels on their carbon bars. Customer crashed his bike, the first and only time he crashed. Kept riding it and a year later broke his collar bone when the thing let loose.
Old 01-31-14, 07:06 PM
Matariki
Not quite there yet

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes + an ICE trike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I had a set of GB bars break on me while riding. Perhaps it was related to the older alloys, but the incident was rather gradual. The left side of the bar felt a bit odd when I pulled up on in when climbing. The next stroke it moved up a bit and the stroke after that it broke free (at the stem). I was able to slow and stop without incident. I can't recall seeing any scratches and the bars had never been subjected to any other big stress. My guess is that they were infected by the old Ava Death Stem in which they were mounted.
Old 01-31-14, 09:01 PM
storckm
Cyclist

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Well thanks. I did slip on the ice--I was completely unharmed--a week or two ago and scratch a different trekking handlebar. Nowhere near deep enough to see through, and I plan to keep on riding them. Trekking handlebars don't seem particularly super-light, but I'll keep an eye out nonetheless. At the moment they're untaped.
Old 02-01-14, 08:47 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,480 Times in 1,439 Posts
I imagine myself as someone who would never break a handlebar. I'm thinking bigger, more brutish riders are at greater risk than I am. (Is that misguided?) I'm building a track bike now and plan to start racing this year. I know steel bars are more common on the track than elsewhere. Should I seriously consider using steel bars? If I'm not super strong, why is steel preferred for track racing?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-01-14, 08:52 AM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by noglider
I imagine myself as someone who would never break a handlebar. I'm thinking bigger, more brutish riders are at greater risk than I am. (Is that misguided?) I'm building a track bike now and plan to start racing this year. I know steel bars are more common on the track than elsewhere. Should I seriously consider using steel bars? If I'm not super strong, why is steel preferred for track racing?
Handlebars don' break because of the rider's weight. They break when pulled back such as when climbing or sprinting. Steel is used on the track because sprinters pull on them very hard. Pursuiters and other non sprinters can use anything.

Old 02-02-14, 11:28 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I also don't use the stupid light stuff that's been so trendy in the last decade.
Not sure where you're drawing the line of stupid, but all the light bars of recent years are 31.8mm - and a 22% increase in diameter is nothing to sneeze at. And we'll say nothing of the stem's clamp holding on tight enough to prevent rotation...

A drop bar could probably be 80g or more lighter at 31.8mm than 26mm, without compromising any strength. Thinner walls may be more subject to forming stress cracks from scratches, but if the bar is flexing much less it's pretty academic.

I'd draw the line at 220g for an ally road bar, myself... not sure about carbon ones.

Given carbon needs the protection of clearcoat against UV and moisture, and bars cop stem clamps, brake clamps and cable rub, I'm not sure it's a very clever proposition in the long term.
Old 02-02-14, 11:56 PM
Pepper Grinder

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You did yourself, your shop, and your customer a disservice by agreeing to tape the bars and make the bike rideable with an out-of-sight-out-of-mind accident waiting to happen. If that was my customer, I'd lay it out - it's either new bars or the bike will be returned as-is. Or at the very least, otherwise worked-on but untaped, handlebars removed.

There's no reason a bike should go out ready to ride in dangerously poor condition, disclaimer or no.
Old 02-03-14, 12:12 AM
BikeWise1
30 YR Wrench

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pepper Grinder
You did yourself, your shop, and your customer a disservice by agreeing to tape the bars and make the bike rideable with an out-of-sight-out-of-mind accident waiting to happen. If that was my customer, I'd lay it out - it's either new bars or the bike will be returned as-is. Or at the very least, otherwise worked-on but untaped, handlebars removed.

There's no reason a bike should go out ready to ride in dangerously poor condition, disclaimer or no.
With all due respect, you weren't there.

Many, many times have I turned away work for safety concerns. This situation involved an older, established member of the local cycling community, who, because he's also one of those "never pay retail at all costs" kind of guy, promised he'd mail order some new bars. I'd rather not have to exercise diplomacy, but in this case, I did what I felt was best at the time.

In the end, he paid the price for his penny-pinching, because rather than replace one handlebar, he ended up paying to fix three bikes and one person.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.