Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Anyone have experience with the new S-A combined Dynohub/Drum brake hub?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-07, 06:47 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 390 Posts

Hi,

I am looking at getting a Sturmey Archer X-FDD Dynamo and drum brake hub and was wondering if anyone hase used one and had any problems? I plan to put the hub on a Rans Rocket SWB recumbent with 20 inch wheels. I was wondering how effective the brake is and how long the brake shoes last?
Old 01-25-10, 03:06 PM
JimBeans83

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same question, but more interested in the drag for the dynamo (lights on and lights off). Not expecting much of a problem for the brake.
Old 01-25-10, 07:28 PM
Val
Bike Pilot

Bikes: Oh, yes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They're not so new; I've been using one for over two years now. The brakes rock, though they will work better after a month's break in than they do out of the box. I have worn out pads on a similar drum brake (non dyno), but it took me 4 1/2 years of riding a 100 lb cargo bike in the hills of the Seattle area. You should be very proud if you can put on enough miles to wear them out on a "normal" weight bike. The dyno has about the resistance you would expect; i.e., about as much as the Shimano, maybe a little less, or, in other words, enough to notice if you have to check for peas under your matress, but imperceptible in most situations.
Old 01-26-10, 10:16 AM
JimBeans83

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Val
They're not so new; I've been using one for over two years now. The brakes rock, though they will work better after a month's break in than they do out of the box. I
That all sounds good. An I imagine Seattle weather has given it its run for durability. If something last two years in that type of climate, that may be a lot to ask.

Did your fork have anything special to hold the arm? Do they (SA) have recommendations on what types of fork can or cant work with this? I find very little information on this, as others have also mentioned.
Old 01-26-10, 11:27 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
The hub came with a clamp for the reactor arm, and as I recall it fit my fork of the Raleigh Twenty I used it on. Later I changed that fork to one with really thick arms, and had to do something different, which wasn't easy. I wove a loop out of an old brake cable, and that worked fine.
Old 01-26-10, 01:17 PM
paul2432

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gnome
Hi,

I am looking at getting a Sturmey Archer X-FDD Dynamo and drum brake hub and was wondering if anyone hase used one and had any problems? I plan to put the hub on a Rans Rocket SWB recumbent with 20 inch wheels. I was wondering how effective the brake is and how long the brake shoes last?
On my commute home last night a rode a few miles with a guy who had one of these. He said he was pretty happy with it. He did say it takes a bit for the brake to break in.

Paul
Old 01-26-10, 06:24 PM
Val
Bike Pilot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bracket that comes with the hub is fine for most traditional steel forks. Unfortunately, Sturmey has not seen fit to make any other sizes yet (we keep telling them, but...). You can use the small clamp with a large diameter fork blade if you use a long 5mm bolt, carefully bent to follow the radius of the fork blade. I have also made several custom retention brackets using stainless flat stock, which can be a fun project if you're handy. The fork I have it on now has a brazed on bracket, which is easy to add it you are having a frame built or having custom frame work done. Also, not only has the hub held up just fine to more than two years of Seattle weather and hills (closer to three, now, actually), but I have actually had it completely submerged during some flooding, and was overjoyed to see that my lights were still on when I emerged from the water. Oh, yes, I also find that I get better response from teh drum brake with a linear pull compatible lever (Avid Speed Dial would be ideal) than a cantilever style, though they will work. Have fun!
Old 01-27-10, 08:01 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Val
Oh, yes, I also find that I get better response from teh drum brake with a linear pull compatible lever (Avid Speed Dial would be ideal) than a cantilever style, though they will work. Have fun!
Good point about the cable. The cable that comes with the hub has barrel ends at both ends, with the housing and barrel adjuster and all that stuff already mounted. The lever end is designed for upright style levers, i.e. MTB &c, rather than drop bars. But I was able to use that cable, with no modification, in a pair of old Suntour levers I had lying around. First choice was a pair of Shimano aero levers, but that didn't work.
Old 01-27-10, 01:02 PM
Val
Bike Pilot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rhm: Actually, I forgot all about the factory cable - I never use that setup, myself. Various companies make adjustable barrels that can be installed on any cable (Knarps are just one), or you can make your own by drilling a small hole through the middle of a recessed caliper brake mounting nut, and using a 6mm bolt as a cable binder. This approach gives you much more versatility in regard to cable style and length (important on a longtqail cargo bike). Sometimes the Sturmey hubs are shipped with their version of the adjustable barrel, but frequently not.
Old 01-30-10, 12:54 AM
K6-III

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
On a 20" wheel, you'll easily be able to lock the front wheel and powerslide if you want to with the right brake levers.

Do note that the dynamo is designed for larger wheels, so you'll want to make sure to use an LED headlamp to lower your power draw/drag from the dynamo.