Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Finally did it!

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Finally did it!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-10, 05:59 PM
nanter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally did it!

So I finally got rid of the car! The guy who bought it from me had a pre-purchase inspection done at the mechanic, and the woman there said, "I don't know why you are selling it!" To which I replied, "I'm going to have no car at all!" With a look of shock, she replied, "What?? Why would you do that?"

So after I concluded the transaction, we exchanged a few texts (he was not on the road at this point!) and I asked him how the maiden voyage went. He said, "LIBERATING!" It's funny, because I feel exactly the same, having gotten rid of it!

We shall see if I end up having to use my Dad's car for getting to certain rotations next year, but I have a really good chance of being able to keep this permanent until I can make it to New York for residency in a couple of years. My sister is car-free in Manhattan, but being car-free in Richmond is a bit trickier. My girlfriend isn't sure I can pull it off, but I am looking forward to proving her wrong!
Old 05-03-10, 06:41 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Congratulations. Sounds like you are ready for the adventure.
Old 05-03-10, 06:42 PM
nanter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
Congratulations. Sounds like you are ready for the adventure.
Thanks! I was already pretty car-lite, only using the car to go to Trader Joe's and an occasional big box store, so I think you're right.
Old 05-03-10, 08:32 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
You're going to have your redency in New York City? You would be crazy to have a car in that case. Unless you can afford to pay rent for a parking spot, there is no way you leave a car on the streets of Manhattan.

On another topic. I too felt liberating when the car went to the junkers! I got nothing for my car because it was beaten to death. However, it wasn't until about three years later when I discovered human powered machines. (bicycles)

I think the motorist feels liberated only because they don't make use of bicycles and make no use of bus and train schedules forcing them to waste time waiting for public transit to arrive.
Old 05-03-10, 09:03 PM
nanter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
You're going to have your redency in New York City? You would be crazy to have a car in that case. Unless you can afford to pay rent for a parking spot, there is no way you leave a car on the streets of Manhattan.

On another topic. I too felt liberating when the car went to the junkers! I got nothing for my car because it was beaten to death. However, it wasn't until about three years later when I discovered human powered machines. (bicycles)

I think the motorist feels liberated only because they don't make use of bicycles and make no use of bus and train schedules forcing them to waste time waiting for public transit to arrive.
Yeah, I wasn't going to try to have a car in New York. That's why I'm hoping to hold out for the next two years not having a car, but it may become necessary, depending on where I have to rotate.

The guy who bought the car from me actually showed up to look at it on a bicycle. But I guess he feels liberated because of the woefully inadequate transit system here and since he's probably not quite ready to ride a bike through all seasons/weather.
Old 05-04-10, 06:55 AM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
6 years now, car-free; almost in the same breath as "I don't know how you do it!", I started to hear, "You're pretty smart, what with the gas prices!" when gas hit $2/gal. Now, once again, they're talking about $4/gal. with the Gulf accident, and I expect to hear that again.

From everyone except my bro-in-law, who's been on me for a couple years now to 'man up, grow up, and buy a car'. He doesn't have a clue.
Old 05-04-10, 11:42 AM
Smallwheels

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Who's The Real Man?

Originally Posted by DX-MAN
...except my bro-in-law, who's been on me for a couple years now to 'man up, grow up, and buy a car'. He doesn't have a clue.
Why don't you tell him that he's looking at a real man who for six years has used his own physical strength to get around instead of counting on a two ton machine to CARRY him around.

If you want to add in another jibe then ask him how manly he feels knowing that there are plenty of women who use only their physical strength to get around by bicycle.