Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Electrical tape as rim tape?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-13, 11:47 AM
rowebr

Bikes: 1981 Bianchi Limited 650B conversion (sold), 1985(?) Guerciotti retro-roadie, 2018 Specialized Allez Sprint, 2012 Specialized Crux, mid 80's Focus MB-400

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for advice about whether electrical tape is a reliable substitute for cotton rim tape. I installed new tires for a friend yesteday, but the fit was so extremely tight that I was initially unable to mount the tires. So I removed the cotton rim tape and replaced it with electrical tape, dusted the rim with talcum powder, and was then able to mount the tire with only a minor struggle.

Is this a reliable solution? If not, what else should I try instead?

Here are all the details of the parts involved: The rims are 700C Campy Omegas, the new tires are 28mm Pasela Tourguards with wire beads. The tires I replaced were 23mm Continental Gatorskins with wire beads. The front rim had Velox rim tape, and the old gatorskin tire was so incredibly tight fitting that I had to cut the beads to remove it. The rear rim had a thin rubber rim strip, and I was able to remove the old rear tire with some difficulty. I don't have a bead jack, and would prefer not to have to use one to mount my friend's tires because we do long rides and get pretty far from home.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old 04-08-13, 11:57 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Electrical tape may or may not be satisfactory. It tends to stretch and the adhesive tends to creep, especially under elevated temperatures, so it may fail over time. A better alternative may be filament-reinforced packing tape, the reinforcement helps prevent it from stretching and the adhesive does not creep as much as electrical tape. My rim strip of choice is Continental Easy Tape. It is thinner and slipperier than Velox cloth tape which makes tire mounting easier and does not stretch appreciably. No messy adhesive to get all over, either

+1 on not needing unavailable tools on the road for predictable needs like changing tires.
Old 04-08-13, 12:02 PM
pierce
S'Cruzer

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
there's 'electrical tape', then there's 3M Super33+ Electrical Tape. the generic stuff is junk even for electrical applications, it turns to crusty goo.

still, neither are what I'd want to use for rim tape. IF your rims are double wall, so the spoke nipples are down inside the holes, an alternative to rim tape are these little rubber plugs you put in each hole, like Veloplugs...
Old 04-08-13, 12:21 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,382 Times in 7,210 Posts
Originally Posted by rowebr
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for advice about whether electrical tape is a reliable substitute for cotton rim tape. I installed new tires for a friend yesteday, but the fit was so extremely tight that I was initially unable to mount the tires. So I removed the cotton rim tape and replaced it with electrical tape, dusted the rim with talcum powder, and was then able to mount the tire with only a minor struggle.

Is this a reliable solution? If not, what else should I try instead?

Here are all the details of the parts involved: The rims are 700C Campy Omegas, the new tires are 28mm Pasela Tourguards with wire beads. The tires I replaced were 23mm Continental Gatorskins with wire beads. The front rim had Velox rim tape, and the old gatorskin tire was so incredibly tight fitting that I had to cut the beads to remove it. The rear rim had a thin rubber rim strip, and I was able to remove the old rear tire with some difficulty. I don't have a bead jack, and would prefer not to have to use one to mount my friend's tires because we do long rides and get pretty far from home.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
If your tires in this case are inflated to higher pressures, and your rims
are box sections with a space between the spoke head and the inner wall
that carries the tape, electrical tape (and even a lot of the plastic rim
tapes that are made for this) will stretch into the empty space and eventually
cause a puncture or a blow out of the tube.

Other than cloth rim tape, a lot of people use fiberglass filament reinforced
strapping tape cut or ripped down to the appropriate width. One caution is
that sometimes it can be difficult to remove.but it seems to work quite well.
Old 04-08-13, 12:41 PM
rowebr

Bikes: 1981 Bianchi Limited 650B conversion (sold), 1985(?) Guerciotti retro-roadie, 2018 Specialized Allez Sprint, 2012 Specialized Crux, mid 80's Focus MB-400

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks everyone. It seems the electrical tape is only suitable as a temporary fix. I'll order some Continental Easy Tape as suggested by dsbrantjr and give that a try. One quick question for 3alarmer: does "fiberglass filament reinforced strapping tape" = duct tape?
Old 04-08-13, 12:47 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
and on single wall rims.. Velox cloth will resist the PSI from the tube , spanning the holes in a double wall rim.

"fiberglass filament reinforced strapping tape" = duct tape?
NO.
Old 04-08-13, 12:49 PM
Ferrous Bueller
absent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's this stuff.
Old 04-08-13, 12:50 PM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Bikes: Schwinn Peloton Ventana El Saltamontes Spec Stumpjumper Conversion Gravel

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
As said before, electrical tape is a poor substitute. I've seen some "ghetto" rims like this before. Cleaning off the adhesive is an onerous chore. A better quick fix would be the rubber rim tapes, work fine for me on flip bikes.
Old 04-08-13, 01:59 PM
OldRoadman

Bikes: 82 Trek 613 Sport Touring, 84 Lotus Classique

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
My substitute has been Johnson & Johnson 1/2" inch waterproof tape. Basically cloth tape impregnated with rubber. Cheap, sticks good and applies easily. Any drug store has it.
Old 04-08-13, 02:24 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
In an emergency, electrical tape might work if you put down maybe three, four layers of it, as the material is too soft to resist splitting or cutting by possible sharp edges from the holes at the spoke nipples, especially if you have a tire/tube that requires high pressures.
Bottom line is, rim tape is not a good area to skimp. Just buy the right stuff and you will be more confident that you don't get a blow-out during a ride because you used the wrong tape on your wheels.....you might be saving yourself from major injury or worse....

Chombi
Old 04-08-13, 02:29 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I use Velox rim tape. I suspect that my Michelin Pro Race 3 tires fit tighter than Gatorskins.
Old 04-08-13, 02:32 PM
bobn

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In the heat and over time anything with glue will turn to goo. This = mess
Old 04-08-13, 02:37 PM
Ferrous Bueller
absent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Longest I've successfully used electrical tape on a particular (mtb) rim was a paltry 15 years. Use at your own peril.
Old 04-08-13, 02:46 PM
pierce
S'Cruzer

Originally Posted by Ferrous Bueller
Longest I've successfully used electrical tape on a particular (mtb) rim was a paltry 15 years. Use at your own peril.
mountain bikes are maybe 50PSI.

road bikes can be 120psi or higher. rubber tape deforms under that sort of pressure.
Old 04-08-13, 02:52 PM
rowebr

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Al1943
I use Velox rim tape. I suspect that my Michelin Pro Race 3 tires fit tighter than Gatorskins.
Is that with Campy Omega rims?
Old 04-08-13, 02:58 PM
rowebr

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferrous Bueller
I do wonder how long it would last, the 28mm tires will only get inflated to 70 or so psi...but there's no reason not try something better.
Old 04-08-13, 02:58 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rowebr
Is that with Campy Omega rims?
No, DT Swiss RR 265, RR 210, and Mavic Open Pro.
Old 04-08-13, 03:11 PM
rowebr

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Al1943
No, DT Swiss RR 265, RR 210, and Mavic Open Pro.

Ok thanks, good to know. I found some references on the forum about the Campy Omega rims being difficult to mount tires on, and I can now confirm that for sure.
Old 04-08-13, 03:15 PM
Ferrous Bueller
absent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pierce

road bikes can be 120psi or higher. rubber tape deforms under that sort of pressure.
Yes. Probably maxed at 40 because it's on a bike that actually goes mountain biking.
I didn't mean to suggest it was appropriate for all pressures, just that it works well for some.
Old 04-08-13, 03:41 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by pierce

I used electrical tape without any problems with my first narrow clincher rims, Rigida 13-19s, for over 20 years until the brake surface wore out. Tire pressures ranged from 100 - 125 psi.
Old 04-08-13, 05:03 PM
Flying Merkel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Used to use friction tape. It seems to have disappeared from the market
Old 04-08-13, 05:11 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
I used electrical tape without any problems with my first narrow clincher rims, Rigida 13-19s, for over 20 years until the brake surface wore out. Tire pressures ranged from 100 - 125 psi.
Did you use the "friction tape" Flying Merkel referred to? It was cloth, not vinyl, and had much less stretch than the new vinyl tape.
Old 04-08-13, 05:37 PM
Jed19

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Why not just buy regular rim tape and take care of the problem once and for all? One of the most miserable rides I've ever had involved having two flats on the same ride. I had bought a new wheelset that came with some flimsy rim tape that worked well for about four rides, then boom, the fifth ride resulted in two flats at different times, and since I only carry one spare tube (and was sure if I patched the new flat, it still wasn't gonna get me home), I had to make a telephone call for the "shame car ride" 40miles from home. My then wife was not amused.

Now, I don't mess with "make do" rim tapes. Velox is what I use now.
Old 04-08-13, 05:53 PM
pierce
S'Cruzer

Originally Posted by Flying Merkel
Used to use friction tape. It seems to have disappeared from the market
closest thing I can think of is gaffers tape, but it normally comes in 3" and wider rolls, and rather LONG rolls too, and is fairly expensive. its a cloth tape with a synthetic adhesive, normally matte black. its primary use is by theatrical stage electricians ('gaffers'), they use it to tape down wiring on the stage floor. its designed to peel completely clean after a month or two of use. its very sticky too. its probably too thick for use as rim tape, however.
Old 04-08-13, 05:55 PM
rowebr

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jed19
Why not just buy regular rim tape and take care of the problem once and for all? One of the most miserable rides I've ever had involved having two flats on the same ride. I had bought a new wheelset that came with some flimsy rim tape that worked well for about four rides, then boom, the fifth ride resulted in two flats at different times, and since I only carry one spare tube (and was sure if I patched the new flat, it still wasn't gonna get me home), I had to make a telephone call for the "shame car ride" 40miles from home. My then wife was not amused.

Now, I don't mess with "make do" rim tapes. Velox is what I use now.
I agree that I need reliable rim tape. But the tire is impossible to mount by hand when using traditional cotton rim tape, and I have confirmed that the model of campy rims is known to have issues with mounting tires. I'm going to try one of the slick rim tapes recommended above.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.