Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Semi-dumb question re: using an air compressor

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-09, 03:48 PM
Ed in GA
The "now retired" Old Guy

Bikes: Trek Madone 4.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have two air compressors. A 3 Gallon and a 33 gallon the three gallon has a max PSI of 120 and the 33 a max PSI of 150.

The output of both can be regulated to 120 PSI

I'm comfortable using the 3 gallon to inflate my 700x23 tire to 115psi using the regulator.

I have not used the 33 to inflate the tires. Does anyone here use a compressor that large to inflate their tires? Or, if I do use it, should I be prepared to see my tire and tube blow right off the rim?

I seems to me that 115psi is 115psi regardless of the capacity of the compressor. But I'd sure like to know in advance if I'm going to have a problem.
"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
Old 06-17-09, 03:52 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
If the output regulator is set to 115psi that's all you'll get regardless of the size of your tank. That said, I find it easier to just use a hand pump. It only takes a few strokes to top up the tires.
Old 06-17-09, 04:08 PM
mr handy
Living Notoriously Well

Bikes: 06 Felt F80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
volume of the tank has nothing to do with the output pressure. The only thing the tank size affects is the amount of air that can be used before the pressure drops below the regulator output pressure... more or less. you could have a 200 gallon reserve tank with 5000psi inside, and as long as your regulator is set properly and designed to operate within those parameters nothing will go wrong.

Just use a floor pump. It's quieter and is good exercise.
Old 06-17-09, 04:22 PM
Ed in GA
The "now retired" Old Guy

Bikes: Trek Madone 4.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
If the output regulator is set to 115psi that's all you'll get regardless of the size of your tank. That said, I find it easier to just use a hand pump. It only takes a few strokes to top up the tires.
Thanks, the compressor sits right by my truck and I use it just before mounting up the bikes before we head out pr if we just ride in the neighborhood.

Originally Posted by mr handy
volume of the tank has nothing to do with the output pressure. The only thing the tank size affects is the amount of air that can be used before the pressure drops below the regulator output pressure... more or less. you could have a 200 gallon reserve tank with 5000psi inside, and as long as your regulator is set properly and designed to operate within those parameters nothing will go wrong.

Just use a floor pump. It's quieter and is good exercise.
That's what I had thought. I just wanted a second opinion.
"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
Old 06-17-09, 04:23 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
If you are concerned, just barely crack the output valve, and go slowly. I use a big compressor all the time.i
Old 06-17-09, 06:13 PM
DevDel

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Five, Cannondale Rize Four

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can calibrate your regulator by checking it against the actual pressure recieved by your tires.

I run latex tubes which must be filled before every ride. My regulator reading was around one pound higher than the actual pressure delivered. Now that I've corrected that, I just give the tires a quick shot, and down the road I go.
Old 06-17-09, 06:35 PM
JayC
Guadzilla

Bikes: Pinarello F4:13 W/Campy Reecord & Blue RC6 W/SRAM Force

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DevDel
You can calibrate your regulator by checking it against the actual pressure recieved by your tires.

I run latex tubes which must be filled before every ride. My regulator reading was around one pound higher than the actual pressure delivered. Now that I've corrected that, I just give the tires a quick shot, and down the road I go.
One pound? Seriously?

I use my compressor for filling tires when I dont have a pump handy. Regulator pressure is all youre going to get.