Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Under Appreciated Brands on the Road

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Under Appreciated Brands on the Road

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-15, 05:25 AM
BenPS
will stop for donuts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To add to the list of others:

Time.

Rocky Mountain.
Old 05-14-15, 06:45 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by BenPS
To add to the list of others:

Time.

Rocky Mountain.
Rocky...they used to have a cool scandium road bike, didn't they? Solo, or something like that? Do they still have a road bike? I'ma go check them out; I was in love with the Blizzard MTB back in the early-mid '90s.
Old 05-14-15, 07:07 AM
happyscientist

Bikes: C'Dale Synapse, Surly Disc Trucker, Giant Trance, Orbea Avant

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by catonec
Ive been over 45mph numerous times (downhill) and although I didnt feel like I could completely let go of my handlebars and coast, I still felt plenty in control, no speed wobbles. maybe your high speed is higher than my high speed.
My Synapse had a wobble. It would get nerve wracking over 45 mph. Within a month of getting the Orbea Avant, I broke 50 mph for the first time, and it was silky smooth.
Old 05-14-15, 08:15 AM
IcySmooth52

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jiggle
I'm going to say Cervelo. They sell fairly well and I see them on the roads but I never hear anyone talking about how much they like their Cervelo. In fact, they're usually complaining. The latest complaint I heard was about the small clearances between the rear tire and seat tube causing little rocks to get stuck in there which made noises during riding.
Cervelo is quite popular for a bike of its price around here. And I've hear ENOUGH of them saying how much better their bike is as I pass them!
Old 05-14-15, 08:45 AM
KonaRider125

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 4 Star, Kona Splice, Nashbar Carbon road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IcySmooth52
Cervelo is quite popular for a bike of its price around here. And I've hear ENOUGH of them saying how much better their bike is as I pass them!
Yeah the usual "my bikes better, my kit is brand new, I'm faster and I'm damn sure not going to wave back at you". Seems to be the attitude of guys with $3000 + bikes around here at least.
Old 05-14-15, 09:25 AM
yugdlo

Bikes: 1975 motobecane Grand jubilee, and a rescued 1984 Raliegh Marathon, that my daughter is using at college

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't think of anything that hasn't been already mentioned.
So how bout some names that I don't think are still produced under anyone else's banner but you might see on the road still.
Peugeot
Gitane
Mercier
Mercian
Falcon
Bridgestone
Know there are more, all I can think of at the moment.
Old 05-14-15, 10:03 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
BMC.

Huffy

And, if we can include vintage/no longer made: One of the best bikes of all time: Klein!
Old 05-14-15, 10:19 AM
IcySmooth52

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stucky
BMC.

Huffy

And, if we can include vintage/no longer made: One of the best bikes of all time: Klein!
BMC isn't popular around where I'm at due to no dealers, but I think they get plenty of drooling appreciation in the states. Huffy however, I believe there's a reason for the assumed quality to the brand name.

But Klein! A shame on Trek to close them! Imagine what they'd be doing now if still in business. Aluminum is making a comeback!
Old 05-14-15, 11:04 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Originally Posted by yugdlo
Can't think of anything that hasn't been already mentioned.
So how bout some names that I don't think are still produced under anyone else's banner but you might see on the road still.
Peugeot
Gitane
Mercier
Mercian
Falcon
Bridgestone
Know there are more, all I can think of at the moment.
Mercian is still being produced.... Mercian Cycles - Custom Cycle Frames & Cycle Shop
Old 05-14-15, 11:25 AM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BMC isn't popular around where I'm at due to no dealers, but I think they get plenty of drooling appreciation in the states. Huffy however, I believe there's a reason for the assumed quality to the brand name.

But Klein! A shame on Trek to close them! Imagine what they'd be doing now if still in business. Aluminum is making a comeback!
My first 10-speed (5 in the back, 2 in the front) was a Huffy. It was a POS, but I rode its wheels off when I was in HS. I took good enough care of it, that my parents bought me a Raleigh Gran Sport (1981?) as a graduation present. (I don't have the bike, as it was in an accident, but I think I still have its replacement.)

GH
Old 05-14-15, 12:01 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Ain't that the truth! Leave it to an inept corporation to take an innovative product of amazing quality; pay money to acquire it; and then kill it off- and when that product trumped 95% of the bikes on the road today! Maybe if indeed AL does make a strong comeback, someone will resurrect Gary Klein's ingenious ideas. Such a shame, when these bikes which were light; responsive; and rode superbly; and were very comfortable- all even by today's standards, were being made 20-30 years ago...and so many lesser bikes are still being made today.

(I should have put a smiley after "Huffy"....that was a joke!)
Old 05-14-15, 01:31 PM
flatlander_48
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by anotherbrian
Ritchey for his/their frames. The components are everywhere but I see very few of the frames on the road.
I was wondering if anyone would mention Ritchey. I think he was much better known for his bikes back when most of the business was steel. As steel has declined, fewer people consider their bikes. That's my guess, anyway. Their travel bikes, like the one I have, have always gotten great reviews but I would imagine that's a fairly small niche market...
Old 05-14-15, 02:12 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by flatlander_48
I was wondering if anyone would mention Ritchey. I think he was much better known for his bikes back when most of the business was steel. As steel has declined, fewer people consider their bikes. That's my guess, anyway. Their travel bikes, like the one I have, have always gotten great reviews but I would imagine that's a fairly small niche market...
Best bike I've ever owned has a Ritchey Frame. Just so happens to be my newest bike also: a Ritchey Road Logic 2.0 frame with Ultegra and mostly Ritchey WCS cockpit. Much under appreciated I'd say, one of the best steel frames out there and a steal for the price you can find them for.
Old 05-14-15, 02:24 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
Best bike I've ever owned has a Ritchey Frame. Just so happens to be my newest bike also: a Ritchey Road Logic 2.0 frame with Ultegra and mostly Ritchey WCS cockpit. Much under appreciated I'd say, one of the best steel frames out there and a steal for the price you can find them for.
I felt that my Breakaway was the best steel bike I ever owned.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 05-14-15, 02:25 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by RJM
Mercian is still being produced.... Mercian Cycles - Custom Cycle Frames & Cycle Shop
+1 A truly excellent frame.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 05-14-15, 02:34 PM
bonz50

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm currently riding a Synapse but gave my old GT GTR2 to my oldest son, its just a wonderful bike, I rode it for like 4.5 seasons and it was absolutely a fantastic machine, I'm glad I didn't have to get rid of it actually.
Old 05-14-15, 03:32 PM
ravenmore

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think there is a bit of a misunderstanding between under appreciated and boutique. Some of the brands listed here, while they may not be as known as some of the more mass produced brands, are definitely not under appreciated.
Old 05-14-15, 03:50 PM
flatlander_48
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
I don't think the frame business is a big priority for them in terms of revenue. I think they like being able to build a bike with all their own parts, except for the shifters and derailleurs, and use it appropriately...
Old 05-14-15, 04:05 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by flatlander_48
I don't think the frame business is a big priority for them in terms of revenue. I think they like being able to build a bike with all their own parts, except for the shifters and derailleurs, and use it appropriately...
Can't say I'm too worried. It's nice to have a cool bike that not everyone else has.
Old 05-14-15, 05:41 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by ravenmore
I think there is a bit of a misunderstanding between under appreciated and boutique. Some of the brands listed here, while they may not be as known as some of the more mass produced brands, are definitely not under appreciated.
Exactly.
Old 05-14-15, 05:44 PM
IcySmooth52

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stucky
Ain't that the truth! Leave it to an inept corporation to take an innovative product of amazing quality; pay money to acquire it; and then kill it off- and when that product trumped 95% of the bikes on the road today! Maybe if indeed AL does make a strong comeback, someone will resurrect Gary Klein's ingenious ideas. Such a shame, when these bikes which were light; responsive; and rode superbly; and were very comfortable- all even by today's standards, were being made 20-30 years ago...and so many lesser bikes are still being made today.

(I should have put a smiley after "Huffy"....that was a joke!)
Trek makes a quality bike, but I've never been impressed with the company. They have marketing approaches that are to "american": celebrity manichan, quickly copying new ideas and saying they did it first (monocoque carbon, endurance fit, 3-point suspension, etc), and more that will be saved for another thread.

It is nice that LeMond is coming back to how he likes it though! LeMond - The official site of Greg LeMond
Old 05-14-15, 05:53 PM
jerrycan42

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for Norco.
Old 05-14-15, 05:54 PM
bobdenver1961

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a titanium Serotta which I really like. To bad they went out of business.
Old 05-14-15, 06:08 PM
whatever84

Bikes: 2015 Fuji Absolute 1.9 disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to say Fuji also, before I bought mine I was looking at a couple other brands in the same price point but the Fuji had a step up in components over the ones I looked at least.

Mark.
Old 05-14-15, 10:04 PM
markcaruana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Raleigh. I picked one up with a better groupset then the other bigger brands like trek or giant and saved a few hundred dollars.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.