Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help!! Frozen ears!!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Help!! Frozen ears!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-23, 04:10 PM
Average Old Guy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 11 Posts
Help!! Frozen ears!!

After 3-month forced layoff I got back to pumping iron and biking today and at age 78 it ain't easy -- my quads are on fire, can't raise my arms above my shoulders -- think I'll apply about two fingers of Dr. Jack Daniels' ointment !!

Meanwhile -- I launched on my bike for the first time in 3 months, kept it to 3 miles. Temp was 37 deg F. Could not get my helmet on over the wool cap, so, wore only the helmet. Gloves were too bulky, could not operate brake and shift levers so I rode without gloves. About 1.5 miles out, ears and hands were damn near frozen.

Anyone have any suggestions for lightweight, thin balaclava (I think that's what it's called) to wear under helmet, and, some not bulky gloves?

But I did see a Pileated Woodpecker in the woods and a group of 18 Tundra Swans on the river. I live in VA where the Potomac joins the Chesapeake Bay and the swans come here from above the Arctic Circle from early Dec to early March.

Thanks in advance.
Likes For Average Old Guy:
Old 01-11-23, 04:19 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
There's a million lightweight, medium weight and heavy weight balaclavas. Just go to a store that sells outdoor gear and find a couple in different weights. Bring your helmet and make sure it fits over them.

Also, bike shops, especially the online ones, sell various weights of synthetic skull cap type things. As do outdoor stores, ski shops, running shops etc. Just go look for something, there's no specific brand you need to find.

"lobster" gloves are popular among cyclists. I have some and also just use the same gloves I use for XC and/or downhill skiing, how heavy depending on the temperature, from very thin cycling gloves to heavy skiing gloves. For something inexpensive, readily available, and very functional for cycling, go to a hardware store and pick up a couple different weights of these type of gloves (not this brand necessarily, but the type with rubber palms):
Likes For Camilo:
Old 01-11-23, 04:42 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/e...186=936&199=74

This style is sold by countless brands. It's a running ear band. Just Google that.
It's thin, insulates a bit, and heavily reduces wind.
You don't need a ton of insulation, just keeping the wind off the forehead and out of ears is huge.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-11-23, 04:55 PM
Average Old Guy

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 11 Posts
Those are the gloves I use for shucking oysters!! I have several pair in the kitchen drawer with my oyster knives. THANKS!!
Likes For Average Old Guy:
Old 01-11-23, 04:56 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by Average Old Guy
Anyone have any suggestions for lightweight, thin balaclava (I think that's what it's called) to wear under helmet
I usually wear a thin merino beanie under my helmet, but I'm tempted to try out this base layer with attached balaclava. At $25, it's certainly affordable:

EKOI THERMO EVO Hood Base Layer

The company only sells direct through their website, and they make kit for several pro teams, so I guess their stuff is decent.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 01-11-23, 05:05 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
First step (granted perhaps a little late now) is to bring that hat with you when you buy your helmet and make sure it fits comfortably under your helmet.

I like simple wool hats that can have a fold at the ears or the edges pulled down further. I find wool much better than acrylic. I wear (and size my helmets for) a Pace of Halo cap under whatever winter hat I use. Hats stay cleaner and my hair feels cleaner. (I have a bunch and always leave with a clean one.)

To get a step more warmth, I use one of those rain covers that fit over the helmet, blocking the vents. Big step up in warmth. I try to arrange it so it is held by velcro and is easily removable when I warm but don't always succeed.
Old 01-11-23, 05:05 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Around here I wear windfleece gloves. I think mine are Northface &/or Black Diamond.
I wear an earband so I can just pull it down as I warm. Usually a neck gaiter too
Likes For dedhed:
Old 01-11-23, 05:23 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I wear something like this, a motorcycle helmet liner. There a a lot of types available, some cover the ears, others don't. I've read that motorcyclists wear them to keep from having to clean their helmets.

Mine is thin enough that a minor adjustment of the helmet strap is enough to make it fit just fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-11-23, 08:18 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
I wear something like this, a motorcycle helmet liner. There a a lot of types available, some cover the ears, others don't. I've read that motorcyclists wear them to keep from having to clean their helmets.

Mine is thin enough that a minor adjustment of the helmet strap is enough to make it fit just fine.

This is the product I use both running and under a helmet. During the pandemic, I would use it running at night in temps in the 20s.
Old 01-11-23, 08:39 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by Average Old Guy
After 3-month forced layoff I got back to pumping iron and biking today and at age 78 it ain't easy -- my quads are on fire, can't raise my arms above my shoulders -- think I'll apply about two fingers of Dr. Jack Daniels' ointment !!

Meanwhile -- I launched on my bike for the first time in 3 months, kept it to 3 miles. Temp was 37 deg F. Could not get my helmet on over the wool cap, so, wore only the helmet. Gloves were too bulky, could not operate brake and shift levers so I rode without gloves. About 1.5 miles out, ears and hands were damn near frozen.

Anyone have any suggestions for lightweight, thin balaclava (I think that's what it's called) to wear under helmet, and, some not bulky gloves?

But I did see a Pileated Woodpecker in the woods and a group of 18 Tundra Swans on the river. I live in VA where the Potomac joins the Chesapeake Bay and the swans come here from above the Arctic Circle from early Dec to early March.

Thanks in advance.
Take a look at motorcycle gear. I have caps that go under helmets that work well with my bicycle helmet. I just got one from motorcyclegear.com by Revit. I did not see it listed anymore on their site, I bought it on closeout, but they have others. Here is one from Firstgear, a very good company, my jacket is from them, as is my rain gear. https://www.motorcyclegear.com/stree...skull_cap.html

Take a look at their closeout section, under base layers, and you will find baklavas as well. Motorcylegear.com is a great company, I have been buying from them for years.
Old 01-11-23, 10:10 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
I wear a skull cap once it gets cold. Anything you want to stay warm you want to be wind blocking. So, you would want a cap with a tightly woven outer layer, no just a wool cap. I use this skull cap regularly, though I see it isn't available now:

Same for gloves. If you get something wind blocking, you don't need as thick a glove.

While I've not used them, there are things that attached to your bars that you slide your gloved hands into. I think I've seen them called pogies.
Old 01-12-23, 01:26 AM
hkckoo

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
doesnt even need to be a merino/whool beanie. even light synthetic materials is enough to deflect the air.
Old 01-12-23, 07:22 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
I wear a Halo headband. When it gets cold enough I drop it down over my ears. The next step is to then wear my very thin balaclava. That seems to work for me, your needs may be different.

As far as gloves, I prefer that gloves with Thinsulate that are medium puffyness but pliable work for me. Again YMMV.

Make sure your gloves and shoes are not too snug, as tight shoes and gloves restrict warming blood flow to the extremities. This also means not gripping the handlebars too tightly, and changing hand positions often enough to also prevent pressure from impeding blood flow.

I applaud your gumption to ride, and congratulate your determination, so I don't want to discourage your efforts, but as a 30 year veteran of year-round bike commuting in Colorado I find I don't really warm up until about the three-mile mark. And even then, the closer the temperature is to my 5F limit the less time I can be stopped at traffic lights or busy crossings before the cold begins to creep back in.

I am "only" 61 as of today (Jan 12), but I hope to still be riding at your age, and also to have your fortitude to get back at it after a break, which gets tougher, the older I get.

Go get 'em!
Old 01-12-23, 08:12 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
A few years ago I bought one of those "scarves" which is basically a fleece tube you put over your head and wear around your neck, but you can pull it up over your head and cover your ears and part of your face if you need to. I don't know the brand or remember where I got it, probably on Amazon or somewhere. But it's really made a difference in cold weather riding. No longer do my ears freeze.
Old 01-12-23, 09:36 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Polypro for the win! Ear warmers, skull cap, balaclava. At the OP's 37F I'd just have the ear warmers.

Gloves are a bit harder. Cold weather has almost as many meanings as people, so you pretty much have to feel the gloves in the store, try them on the road, lather, rinse, and repeat.
Old 01-12-23, 10:00 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
+1 for wearing what you already own

but there's a bunch-o-nutz over here w/ some shopping advice
Old 01-12-23, 11:19 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/e...186=936&199=74

This style is sold by countless brands. It's a running ear band. Just Google that.
It's thin, insulates a bit, and heavily reduces wind.
You don't need a ton of insulation, just keeping the wind off the forehead and out of ears is huge.
I like to put a helmet cover on, as well, to block the helmet vents.
Old 01-12-23, 11:47 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
Does anyone wear a ski/snowboard helmet for winter biking? Or have a winter-specific bike helmet?

Hats under helmets are always tricky for me as my helmets end up feeling really tight - but my ski helmet has built in fuzzy ear flaps and vents that can be closed off, so it's pretty warm without wearing anything under it. The only downside is that it's a little bulky compared to bike helmets.

I think there might be different impact testing/standards for snow helmets - so I don't know if these should actually be used for this purpose or not.
Old 01-12-23, 12:56 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I like to put a helmet cover on, as well, to block the helmet vents.
I often put foam inserts in my helmets, seasonally
https://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cy...met-vents.html

but I too, am a fan of helmet covers, depending on conditions, especially for rain

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-13-23 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-12-23, 02:15 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I have trouble wearing balaclavas until it's in the single digits. Even thin ones are too warm! I usually wear some homemade muffs that go over my helmet straps. I think the commercial designation is 'dog earz.' Checking: yep, sold on Amazon.
For upper 30s, I'd wear something windproof but with a light lining, or maybe some heavier polarfleece gloves that let some wind through to keep from getting too sweaty.
Old 01-12-23, 08:39 PM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
First step (granted perhaps a little late now) is to bring that hat with you when you buy your helmet and make sure it fits comfortably under your helmet.

I like simple wool hats that can have a fold at the ears or the edges pulled down further. I find wool much better than acrylic. I wear (and size my helmets for) a Pace of Halo cap under whatever winter hat I use. Hats stay cleaner and my hair feels cleaner. (I have a bunch and always leave with a clean one.)

To get a step more warmth, I use one of those rain covers that fit over the helmet, blocking the vents. Big step up in warmth. I try to arrange it so it is held by velcro and is easily removable when I warm but don't always succeed.
Great recommendations. As an easy substitute for the rain cover, I've used plastic shower caps to good effect for rain and cold temps. (I collect them in hotels).
Old 01-13-23, 06:45 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
LOL - in really cold stuff I've been known to put clear packing tape over the front vents of my helmet. I use an old helmet, so I don't care if a little tape residue is left when I remove the tape.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 01-13-23, 08:05 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
A lightweight balaclava. I also use a pair of earmuffs a lot of times without the balaclava.

Cheers