Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Converting Anyroad to 105 Shifters

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-20, 08:39 PM
pbechard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Just recently bought a nearly new 2016 Giant Anyroad 2
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/anyroad-2-2016

The cables that come out of the sides of the shifters interfere with the Ortlieb Ultimate Six handlebar bag that I want to move over from the old bike.

One option is to upgrade to a new set of 105 shifters that don't have this, but I suspect that could have implications on the rest of the setup - derailleurs, cassette, and maybe wheels.

Current setup is essentially a stock bike with Sora 3x9 drivetrain, with SRAM BB5 brakes, and Giant CR70 wheels. Also has the extra sub-lever brake handles, but I don't consider them a required element to keep. Years of road riding have me very comfortable with drop bar braking. Attached pics will show current setup. The Giant website link above will give more specifics.

So, what are my options to solving the cable interference issue?

My thoughts:
1) Is there a replacement brake/shifter that doesn't have the cables out the side, but still supports 3x9?
2) Newer Shimano 105 setups for 2x10, or 2x11 would work on the bars, but I don't think the current wheel can support the larger cassette size?
Could the 105's be used to shift the 3x9 derailleurs, knowing that I'd give up a front ring? (I suspect "no")

Old 11-09-20, 01:00 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 237 Posts
The current generation of Sora, R3000, is still 9 speed, is cross compatible, and has under-wrap shift housing routing: https://bike.shimano.com/en-AU/produ...T-R3030-L.html . Converting it to 3x10 would actually be potentially difficult to source as the only current generation 3x10 groupset from Shimano is actually incompatible (Tiagra 4700).

I'd recommend getting the ST-R3030 levers and leaving everything else as is--the only real upgrade would be if you wanted to really throw down to 2x11 or 1x11. You could also then upgrade to hydraulic brakes, which are in my opinion a pretty significant upgrade for your bike unless your goal was unsupported touring in relatively remote locations.
Likes For cpach:
Old 11-09-20, 08:22 AM
pbechard

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
cpach Thanks for the detailed answer. I think the ST-R3030 will work perfect for what I need. Allows me to keep the 3x9 in place, avoiding bunch of other upgrades.
Old 11-10-20, 10:12 PM
Bingod

Bikes: Giant Anyroad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I've grown to really appreciate my underdog 3x9 and find it hard to imagine bettering it in a cost effective way. Its not the lightest or the stiffest, bla bla bla, but it offers a very wide range of possibilities if you only have one bike. You can achieve extremely low gearing and retain decent gaps between the gears for peanuts. I ditched the cheater brake levers and also upgraded the brakes to 160mm and BB7s , which works much better for long hard descents. I'm curious to hear how the R3030 levers perform, they look nice. i have considered this upgrade but as i don't use a handlebar bag I just can't find a good reason to.
Old 11-10-20, 10:22 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
9 speed's great stuff, but those STI levers are outrageously expensive, when purchased aftermarket. You could combine Microshift bar end shifters with regular old non-STI road brake levers if you wanted to save a little money to get a fresh cassette and chain (I have found that basically 100% of used bikes could do with a new cassette and chain, as well as new hub bearings).
Old 11-11-20, 12:11 AM
pbechard

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bingod
I've grown to really appreciate my underdog 3x9 and find it hard to imagine bettering it in a cost effective way. Its not the lightest or the stiffest, bla bla bla, but it offers a very wide range of possibilities if you only have one bike. You can achieve extremely low gearing and retain decent gaps between the gears for peanuts. I ditched the cheater brake levers and also upgraded the brakes to 160mm and BB7s , which works much better for long hard descents. I'm curious to hear how the R3030 levers perform, they look nice. i have considered this upgrade but as i don't use a handlebar bag I just can't find a good reason to.
I ordered them yesterday on eBay. I'll be sure to reply back to this when I have them installed over the winter and let you know how the worked. I'll keep that brake upgrade in mind too.
Old 11-11-20, 12:15 AM
pbechard

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PDKL45
9 speed's great stuff, but those STI levers are outrageously expensive, when purchased aftermarket. You could combine Microshift bar end shifters with regular old non-STI road brake levers if you wanted to save a little money to get a fresh cassette and chain (I have found that basically 100% of used bikes could do with a new cassette and chain, as well as new hub bearings).
Agreed, they can be pricey, and hard to find a pair. Lots of front-only listings, but very few pairs out there.

The previous owner only put a couple hundred KM on the bike, if that, so the cassette and chain are practically new.
Old 01-18-23, 09:51 PM
pbechard

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bingod
I stumbled on this old thread again, and I owed you a reply. Now that I'm two seasons in with the ST-R3030 setup, I have had no issues. The conversion was smooth and the stock Sora parts of the bike worked perfectly with it.
Likes For pbechard:
Old 01-20-23, 05:20 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
An old thread perhaps but it might still be relevant to some.

A neat thing to do with a brake lever where the shift cable emerges from the side is to use a noodle from a V-brake to get better clearance for a handlebar bag.

Cheers