Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano 600 6 to 7 Speed Conversion

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-23, 04:45 PM
Bici Veloce

Bikes: 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL7 Dura-Ace Di2, 2022 Cervelo Caledonia-5 SRAM Rival etap AXS, 2019 Specialized Sirrus Elite Alloy, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2, 85 Bianchi Limited Shimano New 600EX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 28 Posts

I have a 1985 Bianchi Limited with a Shimano NEW 600EX groupset. It has friction shifters and a New 600EX 6-speed freehub, Shimano part #FH-6207-6. My freehub body has a cracked dustcover and my cassette skips on a couple cogs. I member is offering up for sale a Uniglide 600 Hubset, which includes a 7-speed cassette and freehub body (6400 series?). Seeing a good opportunity to upgrade to 7-speed while addressing the defective dustcover, I'm considering purchasing the set. Photos are included in the linked thread.

Would this 7-sp freehub body and cassette be a direct replacement for my 6-sp set? I searched Sheldon Brown's website and can't find a definitive answer.
Old 01-08-23, 05:08 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4412 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
It should work just fine. However, chances are most standard hyperglide bodies will also work and then you won't ever have trouble replacing the cassette, since Uniglide cassettes are no longer made.. DA being the exception because it is not compatible with anything else.

To illustrate, I swapped the uniglide freehub body off an Ultegra hub for a hyperglide freehub body from a cheap Shimano MTB wheel made 15 years later. There was a difference in the dust shields, but not one that affectted function. I'm sure if I had used something like 400ex or RX100 it would have the same seal system because they're all road hubs. I also subbed an Ultegra 8 hyperglide body onto an Ultegra 7 uniglide hub.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 01-08-23, 05:50 PM
Bici Veloce

Bikes: 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL7 Dura-Ace Di2, 2022 Cervelo Caledonia-5 SRAM Rival etap AXS, 2019 Specialized Sirrus Elite Alloy, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2, 85 Bianchi Limited Shimano New 600EX

Originally Posted by Kontact
It should work just fine. However, chances are most standard hyperglide bodies will also work and then you won't ever have trouble replacing the cassette, since Uniglide cassettes are no longer made.. DA being the exception because it is not compatible with anything else.

To illustrate, I swapped the uniglide freehub body off an Ultegra hub for a hyperglide freehub body from a cheap Shimano MTB wheel made 15 years later. There was a difference in the dust shields, but not one that affectted function. I'm sure if I had used something like 400ex or RX100 it would have the same seal system because they're all road hubs. I also subbed an Ultegra 8 hyperglide body onto an Ultegra 7 uniglide hub.
Thanks for the response. I read about the HG swap on Sheldon's site, but I only ride this back once or twice a month. I'm hoping I can get a few years out of the 7-speed swap. If it doesn't work, a HG swap will still be an option.
Old 01-10-23, 08:56 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Regarding the cogs that the chain skips on. A GREAT thing about Uniglide cogs (except the smallest threaded one) is that they can be flipped to extend their life. Take off the cogs but remember which ones are causing the chain to skip. Reverse those cogs and reinstall all the cogs. You should be good to go as far as chain skip is concerned.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 01-10-23, 10:17 AM
Bici Veloce

Originally Posted by Miele Man
Regarding the cogs that the chain skips on. A GREAT thing about Uniglide cogs (except the smallest threaded one) is that they can be flipped to extend their life. Take off the cogs but remember which ones are causing the chain to skip. Reverse those cogs and reinstall all the cogs. You should be good to go as far as chain skip is concerned.

Cheers
Yes, I did that a couple months ago, but have not yet given it a good test run. I'm hoping it will eliminate the chain skip.

Thank you!

Last edited by Bici Veloce; 01-10-23 at 05:29 PM.