Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

260lbs and dropping + Kestral SCi200 Carbon Fiber bike....?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-10, 11:20 AM
P4D 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Is this a good or bad idea? Wheels are 36 spoke Mavic's and what I typically ride without issue on my other bike. Its the CF aspect I'm worried about. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 05-29-10, 01:35 PM
nathan84318

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale R700 CAAD7

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the carbon frame will be fine, your overthinking it
Old 05-29-10, 01:46 PM
mtalinm

Bikes: 2009 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you'll be fine. I'm you + 30 and having a grand time on a Specialized Roubaix CF
Old 05-29-10, 04:36 PM
RedWhiteandRed
Bikesman

Bikes: Giant Seek 1 IGH; Specialized Roubaix On Order

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is that bike from your LBS? You will be aces on the carbon but make certain you go to the local bike shop - there are a million wonderful aspects to a solid relationship with the local bike shop.
Old 05-29-10, 05:45 PM
mtalinm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there are also downsides to an LBS, including their tendency to steer you toward purchasing whatever bike they have in stock.

bought my last bike on craigslist and haven't looked back
Old 05-29-10, 06:52 PM
JoeMetal

Bikes: Trek 2.3 w/ full SRAM Red; Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What will craigslist do if your bike breaks down and needs a tune-up? My LBS offers free tune-ups for a year. I even got to order the bike I wanted that they didn't have in stock. Also, I know that I can go there whenever I want to just ask a question and they'll answer it with no problem. I also get a 10% discount on everything now since I bought a bike there. So yeah, go with the LBS.
Old 05-29-10, 07:09 PM
mtalinm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To each his own. But I saved enough money to more than pay for the free tune ups you will get.

Glad to hear they agreed to order for you. Too many stores steer customers to their inventory
Old 05-29-10, 07:58 PM
JoeMetal

Bikes: Trek 2.3 w/ full SRAM Red; Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You must have had some horrible scarring experience to make you hate your LBS so much. I also didn't get gouged on the price, like you seem to be suggesting. They gave me a great deal that was well below MSRP, and I can all but guarantee you would not be able to find the bike that I got at that time for cheaper on craigslist or ebay.
Old 05-29-10, 08:00 PM
mtalinm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
again, to each his own. glad you had a good experience. I've not been "scarred" but I've also not been terribly impressed. everyone's mileage varies </threadjack>
Old 05-29-10, 09:58 PM
P4D 

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mine came from a third party source...I really just wanted the gruppo on it, but it fits and rides nicely, so I wondered if I could just keep and ride it. Is $270 a good price for what I got? 200SCi with 8 speed 600/Ultegra and STL with a Brooks and Mavics laced to 600/Ultegra hubs. Ready to ride as is.
Old 05-30-10, 12:09 AM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeMetal
You must have had some horrible scarring experience to make you hate your LBS so much.
Doubt it. Most local bike shops these days are staffed by minimum-wage nit-wits who know little, if anything, about the products they sell or how to properly service a bicycle. I get better tune-ups in my garage, better advice from BF, and dramatically better prices on the Internet. Sadly, the economics of competing with Wal-mart mean that decent bike shops are a dying breed...
Old 05-30-10, 08:08 AM
Herbie53

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sstorkel
Doubt it. Most local bike shops these days are staffed by minimum-wage nit-wits who know little, if anything, about the products they sell or how to properly service a bicycle. I get better tune-ups in my garage, better advice from BF, and dramatically better prices on the Internet. Sadly, the economics of competing with Wal-mart mean that decent bike shops are a dying breed...
+1 - buy tools and a good book like this one. I do go to a LBS for some very specific work, but only things I don't want to buy tools for.

Old 05-30-10, 09:27 AM
Pfishingruven

Bikes: 2009 Trek 7300, 2004 Kestrel Talon SL, 2009 Trek Sport Gobug

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You will be fine on the carbon fiber frame! I am around your weight +/- a few and I have a Kestrel Talon SL I have been riding for about a week with absolutely no complaints. The carbon fiber is so light, it makes me feel lighter when I ride. It is amazing how effortless it is to ride...almost too easy. I feel like I need more resistance or something.

As for LBS...it all depends on the shop. Some can be great and others can be flops. I actually use a bike shop that only sells recreational bikes...comfort bikes, cruisers, etc... That is all he can maintain a business on in a shore community with lots of tourism. However, he grew up in a bike shop owned by his family. That is all he has done his entire life. This gentleman can fix and tune up a bike. Best tune up for miles around. He also guarantees his repairs for a minimum of 30 days, even tune ups. As a newbie, I don't know all the ins and outs of repairs, so I use him. I can call or stop in and ask him any questions I may have.

As for some other LBS, including where I purchased my Trek...they couldn't tune up or adjust a bicycle to save their own life. 5 trips for a chain slipping on a 100 mile tune up...ridiculous. Other LBS really do only want to sell you what they have in stock or the brand they carry. My worst experience with a LBS is when I bought my kids Trek Trailer. I though the shop was top of the line...they sell high end bikes, have a large inventory of accessories, etc...brought my Trek Trailer in for warranty repairs and after Trek couldn't find the part, all they wanted to do was give me a refund. No Customer Service at ALL! I had to contact Trek myself and do all of the work. Only thing they are good for is receiving the shipment since Trek won't ship directly to me. So, I completely understand why people wouldn't use a LBS...it all depends on the shop, just like everything else in life!
Old 05-30-10, 12:37 PM
cohophysh
fishologist

Bikes: Diamondback MTB; Leader 736R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kestrel has a rep on here...in the tri forum is where I have seen him...the talon is good to 400lbs is what he told me

1990 Diamond Back MTB
2007 Leader 736R
www.cohocyclist.blogspot.com
https://www.loopd.com/members/cohocyclist/Default.aspx

Old 05-30-10, 04:22 PM
RedWhiteandRed
Bikesman

Bikes: Giant Seek 1 IGH; Specialized Roubaix On Order

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe I am simply lucky - but the local bike shops near me are all very professional people that take the job very very seriously. The US may be a different story.