Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Drugs in Pro Cycling

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Drugs in Pro Cycling

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-12, 01:55 PM
PBS GT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drugs in Pro Cycling

The Lance Armstrong mess has gotten under my skin. See letter petitioning him to admit doping. Sure, it would be a miracle if he stood up and faced the consequences. But it’s not just about Lance; it’s about exposing the widespread use of drugs in pro cycling and other sports. Lance is but one on many cheaters; he simply did it better and longer than anyone else. Many will think this futile. But some of you will see no harm in supporting a petition that’s taking a step to expose and clean up pro cycling. Every signature strengthens the effort. It will only take 1-2 minutes max. https://www.change.org/petitions/lanc...drugs-in-sport
Old 11-18-12, 02:16 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drugs in pro sports is completely out of hand and has gone viral.

Many so-called athletes figure that they can take performance enhancing chemicals within a window of five to six years, without much collateral physcial damage, make millions of dollars, and then get out. It's like the all time scam of the century!

Question now is:

Who are the real athletes?

Last edited by SlimRider; 11-18-12 at 08:24 PM.
Old 11-18-12, 02:31 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SlimRider
Question now is:

Who are the real athletes?
Ans: Does it matter?

"Professional" sport is viewed by most involved as a "product" or "entertainment" the purpose of which, is to maintain viewship so they have something to sell to advertsiers, as well as memorabilia to the fans. "2 minute rules", "nascar timeouts", we accept an awful lot of modifications to the game that effect the outcome instead of natural ability.

The "Pros" need to be split from the "Olympics". Then we as fans can expect some level of altruistic cleanliness to "olympic" sport and expect "fair" or "even" competition from the "pros", in not "clean". I know my view isn't necessarily a popular one amongst the fans of professional cycling, but, I don't see another "enforcable" option.
Old 11-18-12, 06:19 PM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Altruism? From the Olympics?

That's a good one.

Atlruism? Fair play? From an event that's run by probably the most corrupt organization on Earth?

At least Armstrong won on a level playing field and didn't have to deal with getting a 4 from the Russian judge, who had traded his vote to the French.
Old 11-18-12, 09:31 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by achoo
Altruism? From the Olympics?

That's a good one.

Atlruism? Fair play? From an event that's run by probably the most corrupt organization on Earth?

At least Armstrong won on a level playing field and didn't have to deal with getting a 4 from the Russian judge, who had traded his vote to the French.
After all they even cheated in Badmitten/Shuttle cock. Lets get real why cheat in sport like that? But his OP is late to the dance and the olympics is only a few years from a super storm. One that not even the USADA will be able to stop. https://news.discovery.com/tech/engin...-athletes.html

why do it you might ask? To win gold, period.
Old 11-18-12, 09:36 PM
iheartbacon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sports are entertainment. I expect bigger and better every season. Let em dope.
Old 11-18-12, 09:58 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Sports entertainment. Stripping Lance of his titles is like stripping Michael J and Elvis of their gold records. Might as well strip golden globes and Oscars as well.
Old 11-18-12, 10:04 PM
reidplum
Roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The "real athletes?" Since all of them at the top, anywhere close to Armstrong, were also doping, it was a level playing field. Armstrong was the best (doped up) athlete. Without doping, he may have still have been the best athlete, but would in no way have been competitive.

So has the UCI announced who will be considered the "winners" of the TDFs that Armstrong "won"? Since those just behind him have also admitted doping or have been proved to be doping since, who can be the legitimate winner? How far down the peloton do they go before deciding, "This guy probably didn't dope." Finisher number 56, who was otherwise not near comptitive?

Reid

Last edited by reidplum; 11-18-12 at 10:15 PM.
Old 11-18-12, 10:36 PM
iheartbacon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
Sports entertainment. Stripping Lance of his titles is like stripping Michael J and Elvis of their gold records. Might as well strip golden globes and Oscars as well.
Would Charlie Sheen's movies have been as much fun without the drugs? I don't think so.
Old 11-18-12, 10:53 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm still confused by trying to figure out what the OP thinks Lance admitting use will accomplish.
Old 11-19-12, 10:10 AM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are a couple of Lance/doping threads in the Professional Cycling forum, please keep the discussion in the Pro forum.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...Armstrong-news

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...sional-Cycling

Thread closed.

Forum Guidelines *click here*