Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Long Lasting Shoes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Long Lasting Shoes

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-20, 09:20 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 201 Posts
Long Lasting Shoes

I've replaced the shoes I use for daily commuting numerous times over the past years, but I've had the same pair of fair weather road cycling shoes for something like 10 years/40k miles now and they're looking pretty ratty. Strictly speaking I don't need to replace them right away as they're still working well (no tears or holes in the uppers, carbon reinforced soles still working great), but I am thinking about replacing them in the near future. Any suggestions about what to get if I want my next pair to last 10 years? I've always stuck to Shimano shoes for the most part and been very happy with them, but know that Sidi have a great reputation so I'm considering them as well (though their model line confuses me). Thoughts and opinions would be appreciated!
Old 10-12-20, 09:52 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4853 Post(s)
Liked 3,990 Times in 2,589 Posts
You might want to look into Lakes. I haven't bought any of their upper shoes so no carbon soles but I regularly get lots of miles out of their cheaper shoes (which I buy because they fit my feet very well). I started buying them as Performance house brand shoes around 2002, not knowing the manufacturer, 10 years, lots of rainy rides and many thousands of miles is the norm for me. My two newest have most nearly the mileage of my two customs. One has most of 20,000 fix gear miles and five week long Cycle Oregons. That pair is doing just fine.

I've never had to do any repairs other than replacing Velcro straps. Yes, my first two pairs died of the bolt holes final giving up after who knows how many cleat replacements on shoes that had seen many winters, rain, walking, etc. but by that time they were beyond disreputable and the real leather very stretched.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 10-13-20, 07:18 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Shoe fit is rather personal. Rather than suggest certain brands, I'd suggest that you look for certain features.

Look for replaceable (and available!) wear points like heel and/or toe pads. Replacement Boa dials are widely available and not brand-specific, whereas ratcheting buckles may be specific and less common. Laces are certainly going to be available forever more. Some shoes still rely on Velcro closures - I would tend to avoid those if I were looking for a long-term shoe. I would also favor carbon fiber soles rather than something like nylon.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 10-13-20, 02:35 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 447 Posts
If lowest cost per mile is your objective, cheaper shoes may be a better deal than more expensive ones. Expensive shoes these days are primarily aimed at stiffness and low weight, not longevity. Sidi shoes are very high quality and the brand I've bought most often. Try to find them on sale, for the best deal. I have paid dearly for custom made D2 shoes (now Lamson). They worked fine, but cost $700 back in 2008 and now cost $1200.

I just bought a pair of Fizik Overcurve R5 shoes for about $120, that retail for $150. They fit perfectly and at that price, they don't have to last forever to be a decent value. FWIW, they weigh about 30 grams less than my custom D2 shoes from 12 years ago. I had to search a bit for a valid size chart. I normally wear an 8.5 US, or 42.5 EU in a Sidi, but with the Fizik, a 41 EU is an 8.25 and a 41.5 EU is an 8.75, so I tried a 41 and got lucky with fit. The insoles are a perfect match to my custom D2 shoes.
Old 10-13-20, 03:16 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3305 Post(s)
Liked 2,143 Times in 1,210 Posts
I was going also recommend shoes with Boa dials. They are replaceable, unlike the broken proprietary and unreplacable buckle on my otherwise good condition Diadora’s.
Old 10-13-20, 05:19 PM
Princess_Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Specialized Sworks7 have an upper made from dyneema, which is extremely scuff resistant. I should have a bunch of toe overlap marks by now, but surprisingly none!
Old 10-13-20, 08:00 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7083 Post(s)
Liked 11,180 Times in 4,775 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Shoe fit is rather personal. Rather than suggest certain brands, I'd suggest that you look for certain features.

Look for replaceable (and available!) wear points like heel and/or toe pads. Replacement Boa dials are widely available and not brand-specific, whereas ratcheting buckles may be specific and less common. Laces are certainly going to be available forever more. Some shoes still rely on Velcro closures - I would tend to avoid those if I were looking for a long-term shoe. I would also favor carbon fiber soles rather than something like nylon.
I have a pair of Shimano shoes that are about 15 years old and have probably been ridden close to 50k miles, and the velcro straps still work fine. On my two-year old MTB shoes, though, I have now replaced the BOAs twice. Granted, that's a cheap and easy repair, but still...
Old 10-13-20, 10:55 PM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts
The Lakes CX238 hold up remarkably well.
Old 10-14-20, 05:49 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Koyote
I have a pair of Shimano shoes that are about 15 years old and have probably been ridden close to 50k miles, and the velcro straps still work fine. On my two-year old MTB shoes, though, I have now replaced the BOAs twice. Granted, that's a cheap and easy repair, but still...
Everything has a lifespan, so my comment was mostly centered on replaceability with that in mind. Kudos for your Velcro straps for withstanding the test of time (though I do wonder if the straps in question are secondary, lower straps or if they're the primary retention at the top), but others will experience wear and tear that will make them ineffective well before that point and replacing them is enough work that it's often viewed as not being worthwhile.
Old 10-14-20, 06:13 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Everything has a lifespan, so my comment was mostly centered on replaceability with that in mind. Kudos for your Velcro straps for withstanding the test of time (though I do wonder if the straps in question are secondary, lower straps or if they're the primary retention at the top), but others will experience wear and tear that will make them ineffective well before that point and replacing them is enough work that it's often viewed as not being worthwhile.
Each shoe has three Velcro straps… No other retention method. Granted, it’s a sample size of one pair. But still.
Old 10-14-20, 06:51 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Koyote
Granted, it’s a sample size of one pair.
Yup.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 10-14-20, 07:49 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 447 Posts
The velcro on my custom made shoes isn't as grippy as it used to be. The shoes have about 4.5 years of use, but they were made 12 years ago. I left cycling for 8 years, so everything I owned got a long nap.
Old 10-14-20, 07:59 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked 1,308 Times in 721 Posts
Originally Posted by lasauge
Any suggestions about what to get if I want my next pair to last 10 years?
I finally just threw out the Specialized shoes that I bought when I first transitioned to clipless pedals ~15 years ago. I've bought some other brand shoes since then and based on how they're wearing out I have no illusions that any of them will last 15 years. So I'm almost certain that my next pair of cycling shoes will be Specialized again.
Old 10-14-20, 08:53 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
The velcro on my custom made shoes isn't as grippy as it used to be. The shoes have about 4.5 years of use, but they were made 12 years ago. I left cycling for 8 years, so everything I owned got a long nap.
There are all kinds of methods for cleaning and restoring old velcro. If you haven't tried any of them, just use google for lots of info.

If you have tried these methods and not had any luck, perhaps a cobbler could put on new straps for you.
Old 10-14-20, 09:39 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by lasauge
I've replaced the shoes I use for daily commuting numerous times over the past years, but I've had the same pair of fair weather road cycling shoes for something like 10 years/40k miles now and they're looking pretty ratty. Strictly speaking I don't need to replace them right away as they're still working well (no tears or holes in the uppers, carbon reinforced soles still working great), but I am thinking about replacing them in the near future. Any suggestions about what to get if I want my next pair to last 10 years? I've always stuck to Shimano shoes for the most part and been very happy with them, but know that Sidi have a great reputation so I'm considering them as well (though their model line confuses me). Thoughts and opinions would be appreciated!
Shoe fit is personal so it depends on the lasts the given supplier uses.

My biggest gripe with MTB style shoes and specifically with the SPD pedals is that the stability on the pedal in large part depends on the tread of the shoe adjacent to the cleat. If that tread wears enough - and it doesn't take much - the stability of the shoe on the pedal suffers. There are shoes, such as some from Sidi that have replaceable treads. This is a big feature in my experience.

J.
Old 10-14-20, 11:15 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked 1,307 Times in 560 Posts
Lake, Shimano, Specialized, Sidi.

They all have their finer points though so find the pair that fits.

Old 10-14-20, 03:07 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked 1,308 Times in 721 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
There are shoes, such as some from Sidi that have replaceable treads. This is a big feature in my experience.
^^^This ...but, I will add some cautionary advice, also from my experience: If you buy shoes with replaceable treads, but some spare sets of replacement treads at the same time when you buy the shoes. Don't just assume that the replacement treads will still be available sometime down the road when you finally need them.

They won't.