Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Strava vs. RideWithGPS

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Strava vs. RideWithGPS

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-17, 04:29 PM
TXCiclista

Bikes: 2017 Ridley Fenix SL, 2008 Trek 1500, 1998 Diamondback Apex

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SethAZ
Yeah, though most of my "private" segments have been ridden by me with friends of mine or others in my local neighborhood, and it's nice to see those results up. It's actually surprising to me that some segments that one might have considered small, out of hte way, low-traffic places end up getting 30 or 40 people after a while.
That always surprises me too. “Oh, hey, look. A small, out-of-the-way segment. I wonder how many people have ridd—126. Wow.”
Old 11-15-17, 04:40 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
There is no better app for cycling than Strava .... it is the industry standard, and most serious cyclists this ... (fact)

RideWithGPS is what I use to plan routes ... I download onto my Garmin Edge 1000 and my Garmin Edge 500 (backup satnav for long rides)

I have not found a better app for planning routes that RideWithGps
Old 11-15-17, 04:42 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 137 Posts
Ride with gps for me, and when I feel like being social or outgoing, I ride with the club I'm in.
Old 11-15-17, 04:47 PM
TXCiclista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dim
There is no better app for cycling than Strava .... it is the industry standard, and most serious cyclists this ... (fact)
Hardly a fact. There are FAR better apps than Strava. Strava succeeds because it does the social part well. Take that away and Strava is one of the weaker offerings we have. It is definitely not the industry standard. Don’t confuse popularity with being a standard
Old 11-15-17, 05:57 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by dim

RideWithGPS is what I use to plan routes ... I download onto my Garmin Edge 1000 and my Garmin Edge 500 (backup satnav for long rides)

I have not found a better app for planning routes that RideWithGps
So I take it you mean to say, but correct me if I'm misinterpreting -- Strave is best to use AFTER the ride (analysis), RWGPS is best BEFORE the ride. And, you use the Garmin DURING the ride.
Old 11-16-17, 02:39 PM
dim

Originally Posted by TXCiclista
Hardly a fact. There are FAR better apps than Strava. Strava succeeds because it does the social part well. Take that away and Strava is one of the weaker offerings we have. It is definitely not the industry standard. Don’t confuse popularity with being a standard
such as?
Old 11-16-17, 02:46 PM
turkey9186

Bikes: 2014 CDale EVO, 2007 System Six, 2004 Litespeed Solano, 2002 Burley Duet

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I design routes in Ride with GPS, and produce the cue sheets etc.

I track routes I'm currently riding with Strava.
This^. RWS is easier to build routes and transfer to my Garmin.
Old 11-16-17, 06:17 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I responded to this thread about a month ago. Since then, I've run both Strava and RWGPS apps on my iPhone. I don't run cadence counters, power meters, HR monitors etc. so I'm just using the free app on both to track miles and averages, etc. I can't see one is better than the other, however, after running Strava the last three years, I'm leaning toward liking the RGPS app better for a few reasons.
One thing that has always bugged me with Strava, is when you stop it takes about 10 seconds for it to go to autopause. RGPS pauses immediately. Not a big deal but I stop a lot on some rides to take photos. So my average speed is 1-2 mph slower on Strava, I assume because of that delay in pausing.
RGPS tracks total time, actual MOVING time, time spent climbing, time spent descending, elevation climbing and descending...all on one pull up screen. Strava just gives your average elevation gain, speed, top speed and total time.
RWGPS apparently doesn't offer in free mode the ability to hook up and follow others, or else, no one local uses it.
I like Strava feature of "fly by's" to see who else was cycling in the area or who that was that you passed and waved at.

Again, one wouldn't bump the other out of use but I like those extra little ride statistics with RGPS.
Old 11-16-17, 06:58 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by WNCGoater
I responded to this thread about a month ago. Since then, I've run both Strava and RWGPS apps on my iPhone. I don't run cadence counters, power meters, HR monitors etc. so I'm just using the free app on both to track miles and averages, etc. I can't see one is better than the other, however, after running Strava the last three years, I'm leaning toward liking the RGPS app better for a few reasons.
One thing that has always bugged me with Strava, is when you stop it takes about 10 seconds for it to go to autopause. RGPS pauses immediately. Not a big deal but I stop a lot on some rides to take photos. So my average speed is 1-2 mph slower on Strava, I assume because of that delay in pausing.
RGPS tracks total time, actual MOVING time, time spent climbing, time spent descending, elevation climbing and descending...all on one pull up screen. Strava just gives your average elevation gain, speed, top speed and total time.
RWGPS apparently doesn't offer in free mode the ability to hook up and follow others, or else, no one local uses it.
I like Strava feature of "fly by's" to see who else was cycling in the area or who that was that you passed and waved at.

Again, one wouldn't bump the other out of use but I like those extra little ride statistics with RGPS.
Always go with the app that returns a higher Avg Speed! just kidding. Have you tried adding the Stravistix plugin for Strava? it does a lot.
Old 11-16-17, 07:58 PM
TXCiclista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dim
such as?
A few that come to mind, in no particular order:
Cyclemeter
Map My Ride
Training Peaks
Wahoo Elemnt app (if you have an Elemnt, of course)

Strava’s main selling point is the social, which is does very well (except for KoM exploits). For actual tracking of a ride, they rely on other, better apps to do very much. They’re definitely not the industry standard. They are certainly popular (deservedly so), but they have a way to go before they’re the app everyone turns to. Most “serious cyclists” I know use them for the social and segments and look elsewhere for data analysis, etc
Old 11-17-17, 05:31 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
That always surprises me too. “Oh, hey, look. A small, out-of-the-way segment. I wonder how many people have ridd—126. Wow.”
I only tried Strava for a couple weeks a few years back, but I did notice a segment that was on the gated campus where I work. One guy had all the top times - up a slight grade of about a half mile to get to the building with the lockers/showers. I figured I'd be courteous and not try and take it from him. Anyone else would have to risk getting chased down by security if they wanted that KOM.
Old 11-17-17, 06:36 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 497 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
Like many others: RWGPS for route planning, Strava for recording rides. RWGPS is our local standard for planning club rides, Strava is the primary social platform. I discovered that data recorded on one app can be synced easily using a utility called Tapiriik.

Back in olden times, I used Map My Ride and Dailymile, primarily for manually entering rides. As far as I can tell, these have gone the way of Friendster and Myspace...
I have been using Map My Ride for years as it serves my purpose of distance, route, average speed and sprints. Guess I should see what advances some of the newer apps RWGPS and Strava offer and move on past the olden times
Old 11-17-17, 08:18 AM
OBoile

Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Cyclemeter
Map My Ride
Training Peaks

Strava’s main selling point is the social, which is does very well (except for KoM exploits). For actual tracking of a ride, they rely on other, better apps to do very much. They’re definitely not the industry standard. They are certainly popular (deservedly so), but they have a way to go before they’re the app everyone turns to. Most “serious cyclists” I know use them for the social and segments and look elsewhere for data analysis, etc
Yeah. I use Cyclemeter and then simply upload to Strava. I get all the benefits of Strava, with the increased statistics and information available during my ride from Cyclemeter.
Old 11-17-17, 08:48 AM
TXCiclista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by billyymc
I only tried Strava for a couple weeks a few years back, but I did notice a segment that was on the gated campus where I work. One guy had all the top times - up a slight grade of about a half mile to get to the building with the lockers/showers. I figured I'd be courteous and not try and take it from him. Anyone else would have to risk getting chased down by security if they wanted that KOM.
Old 11-17-17, 03:18 PM
dim

Cyclemeter
Map My Ride
Training Peaks

so tell me ...

with the above mentioned, can I see what my climbing speed for the route or segment is? .... Can I check my times for the day (or week or month or year or my age group) with others who have ridden the same route (on the same day ) as me?

with the other mentioned apps, can I download info onto my Garmin Edge 1000 so as to give me a virtual partner? (google that if you don't know what it does)

with the other apps that you suggest, will it show me my times vs the majority of other riders on the same routes and on the same day etc? ....

not here where I live .... everyone that I know who is serious about cycling uses Strava

so bottom line .... if you are a serious cyclist .... get Strava (Heck.... it only costs a few dollars a month) .... link it to Stravastix (costs nothing) .... and you have all the info that you need if you have a cadence sensor, heartstrap monitor and powermeter .... even if you don't have all the sensors, nothing comes close to Strava

Last edited by dim; 11-17-17 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-17-17, 07:13 PM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by dim
so tell me ...

with the above mentioned, can I see what my climbing speed for the route or segment is? .... Can I check my times for the day (or week or month or year or my age group) with others who have ridden the same route (on the same day ) as me?

with the other mentioned apps, can I download info onto my Garmin Edge 1000 so as to give me a virtual partner? (google that if you don't know what it does)

with the other apps that you suggest, will it show me my times vs the majority of other riders on the same routes and on the same day etc? ....

not here where I live .... everyone that I know who is serious about cycling uses Strava

so bottom line .... if you are a serious cyclist .... get Strava (Heck.... it only costs a few dollars a month) .... link it to Stravastix (costs nothing) .... and you have all the info that you need if you have a cadence sensor, heartstrap monitor and powermeter .... even if you don't have all the sensors, nothing comes close to Strava
So TXC says that all Strava has going for it is the social aspect. Then you try to prove him wrong by giving a bunch of examples of..... the social aspect?

I couldn't care less about the social stuff. I couldn't care less about KOM's. I'm on a hybrid that weighs about 45 lb. or so in my rideable shape (aka, carrying a LOT of water in my always mounted panniers.) The metrics I care about where I ride, how far I ride, and how much I climb. I use RWGPS and download all the gpx files and load them into Google Earth. Wish I could do that over the net somewhere but on Google I can only add 8 files I think.

I started running Strava simultaneously when I learned of Relive. I only run it for that purpose. One thing that I would like but not paying only for this feature is the heatmap. That would take care of my wanting to map all my riding on a single map.
Old 11-17-17, 07:14 PM
sreuter13

Bikes: 1990 Fuji Absolute, 2001 GT Aggressor

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride With GPS

I like using Ride With GPS. The turn by turn directions have saved me many times and I like how you can download offline maps.

There is not as much of a user base when compared to Strava, but that just keeps it hipster.
Old 11-18-17, 09:50 AM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by dim

I love this generation, typing "fact" makes it the new gospel.
Old 11-18-17, 01:46 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Is there a way to sync my data between ridewithgps and strava? If so, I would use strava. I just use ridewithgps now.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-18-17, 10:23 PM
TXCiclista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dim
so tell me ...

*snip*
I can tell that all you’ve tried is Strava, otherwise you’d know the answers to those questions (nearly all of which are “yes”). The fact that you apparently don’t even recognize Training Peaks speaks volumes. And you’re using a 3rd-party Chrome plugin to get the data analysis that Strava won’t (VeloViewer fills a similar gap). The virtual partner? That’s a Garmin feature built into most Garmin products (and common to other apps/devices as well). VAM? Elemnt gives it to you isntaneously on the bike. Your data is “app agnostic,” and many other apps will break it down in equally (or more!) useful ways. Strava’s just a “wrapper,” as it were. StravistiX just uses an API to get the data that Strava’s storing (Strava’s actual analysis is quite thin). They could do the exact same thing with a Cyclemeter upload if they so chose. Or Garmin Connect. Or Map my Ride. Heck, an Excel spreadsheet would suffice.

I’ve already admitted that a Strava does social well (that’s all age grouping, competing against other cyclists on a segment, etc. is). But as I said above (and others agreed), “serious cyclists” (whatever that means) look elsewhere for data analysis. Including you! Why use StravistiX if Strava has what you need? (Heck, they even say “if these features could be added by default in Strava...” because they aren’t). You’re just talking about data, not Strava. If Strava was as good as you say, you wouldn’t need the Edge, or RWG. You’d just use the Strava app! (But really, don’t. ON the bike, Strava is one of the least useful apps I’ve ever come across).

I’m glad you like Strava. I do too. But there are many services that “come close” (and exceed!) Strava (remember, StravistiX isn’t Strava). Google around for “Is a Strava Premium worth it,” and you’ll see just how few “serious cyclists” pay for it, and how many admit to just using the free version for the social stuff and putting their money elsewhere (e.g. TP).
Old 11-19-17, 07:08 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Why not use Stravistix? Who cares if Stravistix is not Strava? The combo works well for me, and I don't find rwgps offers more data by any means. I can't speak to whether the other apps offer more data than this combo either, but if they do, I can't imagine needing more than I already get.
Old 11-19-17, 07:35 AM
TXCiclista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Why not use Stravistix? Who cares if Stravistix is not Strava? The combo works well for me, and I don't find rwgps offers more data by any means. I can't speak to whether the other apps offer more data than this combo either, but if they do, I can't imagine needing more than I already get.
Don’t get me wrong. I absolutely agree on using StravistiX (or VeloViewer, etc). The question, however, was whether Strava is the “industry standard” for “serious cyclists,” with no other app or service even “coming close.” That’s simply not the case. I was pointing out the fact that to say that, and then have to turn to StravistiX for in-depth analysis of the data, gives the lie to the original claim. Strava isn’t the industry standard. It’s not even a particularly great tool for analyzing data. It just does the social aspect very well. (Which is great! I love it.)

Edit: I agree on RWG: it doesn’t offer more data. It does, however, do mapping much better than Strava. Aside from heat maps, Strava’s ability to set up routes is limited compared to RWG. But again, that’s fine. Strava’s the cycling world’s jack of all trades. It’s a great place for the average cyclist to get started, but has enough social features to keep this mysterious “serious cyclist” using it after they move on to other tools for training and analysis

Last edited by TXCiclista; 11-19-17 at 07:43 AM.
Old 11-19-17, 07:49 AM
TXCiclista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Is there a way to sync my data between ridewithgps and strava? If so, I would use strava. I just use ridewithgps now.
I think you can sync RWG to Strava. How are you getting your data to begin with? Cycling app on a phone? A cyclocomputer? There are a lot of ways to do all this, and you can definitely get your data to Strava rather than RWG, unless there’s something “proprietary” in the way (and if so, let’s find you something more “open”).
Old 11-19-17, 03:40 PM
qajaq

Bikes: TREK Domane 5.2 Giant Defy Wilier Triestina Cento

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Ride w/GPS will export a ride as a .gpx file which can be uploaded to Strava if you want. Not a direct swap, just takes a couple of steps if you want to bother. I have both but Ride w/GPS suits me better. Not interested in segment standings or the "Facebook" like features of Strava. Ride has turn-by-turn (not free) which is more valuable in my opinion and it runs on my old iPhone so I don't need another $$$ bug infested Garmin.
Old 11-19-17, 07:14 PM
TXCiclista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qajaq
...I don't need another $$$ bug infested Garmin.
For what it’s worth, if you ever decide you do want a dedicated cyclocomp, I recommend the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt. It’s everything the Garmins should be, just without the color screen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.