Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Replace DT Swiss R460 wheelset?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-18, 09:24 PM
TXCiclista

Bikes: 2017 Ridley Fenix SL, 2008 Trek 1500, 1998 Diamondback Apex

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ordered my first full-carbon bike this week (Ridley Fenix SL) and am pretty pleased with everything except the wheelset, it mostly because I don’t have any experience with the maker or the model. My sense is that this wheel set is probably where a few bucks were saved, but I’m upgrading from the ~2004 version of Aksium Races. The guy at the LBS didn’t think the Aksiums would be any better (and probably worse) given their age and how technology marched on. Can anyone comment on these? Any recommendations on a wheel set that would be an upgrade for less than $400 or so?

Thanks in advance
Old 05-27-18, 11:50 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
R460s are a pretty nice rim and DT is one of the highest profile companies in the bike industry in the wheel market. I have no idea about the rest of the wheel (hubs, spokes, build quality). What's would you like to improve over your stock wheels? Weight? Aerodynamics? Reliability? In all likelihood you are unlikely to buy anything new at retail that are significantly better than your stock wheelset below $400.

Don't buy Mavic--they have terrible parts support for their proprietary components more than a few years old, and most of their classic system wheels are of mediocre weight, have relatively poor aerodynamics, and have a freehub design that is less reliable than many.

Some nice wheels you might find for <$400: Easton EA70, most Shimano (WH-RS500 for example), depending on local labor rates you may be able to get a wheelset built by a shop or local builder for under $400 with an inexpensive or somewhat generic hub set (like Bitex or Novatec, rebranded or not) with decent double butted spokes and good inexpensive rims (like R460s...) that may be competitive and are very likely to be better built than factory wheels.
Old 05-28-18, 12:29 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Nothing wrong with Mavics, have them on my aluminium frame road bike.

On the carbon I changed the wheels for Campagnolos which were lighter than those originally on it. It was between them and a DT model which, to be honest, would possibly have been better but I wanted the name.

Stick with what you've got. In the end, the biggest gain you'll find comes not from the wheels, it's from getting out there and improving fitness.
Old 05-28-18, 06:20 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by avole
Nothing wrong with Mavics, have them on my aluminium frame road bike.
I'm making the recommendation against them as a relative value judgement--they often use proprietary spokes and other parts, and while many shops have spares, Mavic officially stops parts support after a few years. Their build quality is generally good, and with the exception of some of the old Rsys wheels, are generally very durable. They develop freehub problems more frequently than other designs but are pretty easy to service. I just think they were early to market with attractive system wheel designs but are now eclipsed in most applications and price points by other products. Their rims are still very nice for custom builds.