Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Edge 830 out in front mount

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-20, 09:18 AM
speedlever
Hills!

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

I just mounted my Edge 830 on my bike yesterday. Due to cable routing, I need to mount the out in front mount on the right side of the clamp. The OIF mount comes configured to mount to the left of the clamp, so the computer is centered.

I didn't see an obvious way to reverse the mount, so I mounted it on the right side of the clamp, but the computer sits off to the right of center now.

Did I overlook something simple? I took the mount apart but didn't see an obvious way to invert the attach point for the 830. Is this not possible?
Old 07-28-20, 09:49 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
I don't think you overlooked anything obvious except that it doesn't have to be in the center unless that is where you want it. There are the little quarter turn mounts that Garmin has and others make that mount on your stem. They are what I used on my two older bikes where cables coming out from under the bar tape were an issue.
Old 07-28-20, 09:57 AM
speedlever
Hills!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I considered the stem mount... but I have a very short stem. Might try it anyway.

Thanks for confirming the OIF mount is not reversible. I am a bit surprised by that, but no worries. I can live with the 830 being off center. It's not *that* bad.
Old 07-28-20, 04:13 PM
mibike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
You could try K-edge mounts. They mount to the right of the stem.
Old 07-28-20, 06:42 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Amazon has a bunch of cheap mounts that go on the right side. Can't speak to the quality though. K-Edge mounts are great and all alloy but somewhat spendy. Having my 830 offset like that would drive me bonkers.

Interestingly, I had the opposite problem with the right side mounts had interference issues with my brake line.
Old 07-28-20, 07:06 PM
Batstar

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 79 Posts
I have my Garmin Edge mounted to an F3 Form Mount. It attaches to either the upper or lower bolts of the stem clamp.

https://www.f3cycling.com/formmount
Old 07-28-20, 08:14 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3236 Post(s)
Liked 2,080 Times in 1,178 Posts
Originally Posted by speedlever
I just mounted my Edge 830 on my bike yesterday. Due to cable routing, I need to mount the out in front mount on the right side of the clamp. The OIF mount comes configured to mount to the left of the clamp, so the computer is centered.

I didn't see an obvious way to reverse the mount, so I mounted it on the right side of the clamp, but the computer sits off to the right of center now.

Did I overlook something simple? I took the mount apart but didn't see an obvious way to invert the attach point for the 830. Is this not possible?
Garmin out front mounts changed over a few years, some were left, some were right. None of these I’ve used ever had issues with cables being in the way as the cables always came out from under the bar tape a few inches L or R of the stem. Maybe just pull back the h-bar tape a bit and reroute the cable if it’s really that big an issue ?.
Old 07-28-20, 09:38 PM
speedlever
Hills!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Those are some great suggestions. Looks like the K-Edge Sport is one of the lesser expensive options, short of re-routing the brake cable that currently interferes with the left side mount.

https://smile.amazon.com/K-Edge-Hand...%2C146&sr=8-11

Unfortunately, there are a number of reviews that are not very favorable for it. And some of the cheaper ones show pics of broken mounts. Guess you get what you pay for!

Last edited by speedlever; 07-28-20 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-29-20, 05:30 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3236 Post(s)
Liked 2,080 Times in 1,178 Posts
Originally Posted by speedlever
Those are some great suggestions. Looks like the K-Edge Sport is one of the lesser expensive options, short of re-routing the brake cable that currently interferes with the left side mount.

https://smile.amazon.com/K-Edge-Hand...%2C146&sr=8-11

Unfortunately, there are a number of reviews that are not very favorable for it. And some of the cheaper ones show pics of broken mounts. Guess you get what you pay for!
One advantage of a cheap mount that breaks is it gets sacrificed as opposed to the mounting tabs on the back of the unit. If they snap you can *sometimes* cobble a repair, but sometimes you end up buying a refurb from Garmin and that’s expensive.
Old 07-29-20, 06:28 AM
speedlever
Hills!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I think I'm just gonna live with the stock Garmin mount as is and put the money I'd otherwise spend on another mount towards a Varia RTL515.
Likes For speedlever:
Old 07-29-20, 09:07 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
One time I had an out front mount that would fit very wide diameter bars and on my smaller diameter bars I was able to cut a grove in the adapter for it to let my cable go under the clamp. It was a very tight fit.

Soon after I was having some shifting issues that I thought might be the clamp and took the out front mount off. Later I found the cause of the shifting issue was something else, but never put the out front mount back on.