Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How to decide what stem to get

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How to decide what stem to get

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-20, 11:54 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Unless you are investing to be competitive at some level, the notion of paying for a bike fit is rubbish. Most places aren't going to have the motion capture equipment and software or other tools to do a really analytical bike fit, but are just going to have you sit on the bike, check your leg bend and knee position at various positions, and so forth. With all of the information available online, there is no reason why you can't get the thing close enough if not perfect for you.
Well, then pay for the places that DO have the motion capture and analytic capabilities.

You don't need to be a competitive rider, just someone who rides a lot. After riding for ~15 years, messing with my fit a lot, and following much of the conventional wisdom regarding fit, I got a pro bike fit. It took a good three hours or so, involved testing my flexibility, and a lot of time pedaling a fit bike. It made a very big difference in my comfort on long rides. I did not have to pay for it, as I did some work for the shop that did it (I built the swiveling platform for the fit bike so they could keep the camera set up and just spin the fit bike around while the person is pedaling it). I never would have considered paying the $250 they charge for it, but after going through the process, and seeing the results, it would have been the best money I ever spent on road cycling.

Of course, not all bike fitters are that good.
Old 11-25-20, 11:58 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Well, then pay for the places that DO have the motion capture and analytic capabilities.

You don't need to be a competitive rider, just someone who rides a lot. After riding for ~15 years, messing with my fit a lot, and following much of the conventional wisdom regarding fit, I got a pro bike fit. It took a good three hours or so, involved testing my flexibility, and a lot of time pedaling a fit bike. It made a very big difference in my comfort on long rides. I did not have to pay for it, as I did some work for the shop that did it (I built the swiveling platform for the fit bike so they could keep the camera set up and just spin the fit bike around while the person is pedaling it). I never would have considered paying the $250 they charge for it, but after going through the process, and seeing the results, it would have been the best money I ever spent on road cycling.

Of course, not all bike fitters are that good.
I'm not saying that dynamic fitting doesn't have a place in the sport. I'm just saying that for someone who just started riding and only rides 10 - 20 miles a few days a week, it is not worth spending $250+ for it. For those that want to go faster, farther and longer it certainly has its place.
Old 11-25-20, 12:02 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Having cycled for over 40 yrs, I (like most of us) have boxes of spare parts. I get on my bike with my hands on the hoods and look down. If the bar obscures the front axle, I'm in the ballpark. Then I ride to see how I feel on the bike and adjust/replace if necessary. FWIW, I tend to like a flat stem. I think it's a trial and error thing.
Old 11-25-20, 12:09 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

I'm not saying that dynamic fitting doesn't have a place in the sport. I'm just saying that for someone who just started riding and only rides 10 - 20 miles a few days a week, it is not worth spending $250+ for it. For those that want to go faster, farther and longer it certainly has its place.

Agreed
Old 11-25-20, 07:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4352 Post(s)
Liked 3,990 Times in 2,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Awesomeguy
1. so when you get a bike fit , is the fit specific to your bike , or will the cyclist get measurements such that I will know all the measurements for any future bikes I may get and not have to get a bike fit for each bike I may purchase ?

2. if the bike fit will provide me measurements for any future purchases , does it carry over to any type of bike I may get, (I.e road bike, hybrid , mountain etc ?

3. does the bike fit have to happen for each bike I get?

4. is it better to get a bike fit prior to purchasing a bike ?

5. I want to find a bike fitter that is also a physical therapist , what would they charge?

also I ride about 40 miles a week, 10 miles per session
Typically a fit can be carried over from bike to bike. That is what I have done with many of my bikes (two of them are new and haven't yet been set up). That data can be used to purchase a new bike and again move that fit to that bike. Your fitter can be a useful resource when purchasing a new bike as he can direct you to a size that will work or some key measurement numbers to look at.

My fitter said certainly a flat bar and drop bar bike is different but not really enough to change things so horribly they would need a completely different fit and likely a good fitter can transfer that over should you go drop or flat depending on what you currently ride.

In terms of PT's who are Bike Fitters I don't know what they might charge but you would need to check in your area. They might be separate people in some cases.
Old 11-25-20, 07:45 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4352 Post(s)
Liked 3,990 Times in 2,663 Posts
That is an unfortunate position a few people are still holding. I think it is well worth it if you are at least semi-regularly riding and potentially would be interested in being more comfortable on your bike.

Yes it may not be cheap but break it down and the cost isn't so bad. Sure as a one time cost it can seem expensive but being comfortable on many rides on the bike is well worth it. Especially since that can be transferred to other bikes. People pay plenty of money for things all the time especially comfort wise, this is not a terrible amount when broken down over the life of the bike. Heck dining out you can spend that much and that is a much more fleeting experience the bike fit can last a loooooong time!
Old 11-26-20, 08:50 AM
Awesomeguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Take your bike to the store where you got it, tell them that you are not comfortable on it, and ask if they can help you. Most will not charge you for a "bike fit" (at least I've never had one say there would be a charge). They will charge you for parts, and maybe (but not too often) labor. Most are just glad to have a customer, and helping that customer brings them back in the store.

If you bought the bike used, take it to the Trek store and ask them if they can help you get comfortable on it. Try to go when it is not busy - Tuesday morning or something. Most will still be glad to help you hoping that you will buy some gear, parts, or someday a new bike.

Unless you are investing to be competitive at some level, the notion of paying for a bike fit is rubbish. Most places aren't going to have the motion capture equipment and software or other tools to do a really analytical bike fit, but are just going to have you sit on the bike, check your leg bend and knee position at various positions, and so forth. With all of the information available online, there is no reason why you can't get the thing close enough if not perfect for you.

Emma Pooley never had a "bike fit" and did alright for herself and better than virtually any of us will ever do.
I think you have a great point. I only need minor adjustment. My reach doesn't feel to terrible, I just want to be little more upright. I'll get a more upright stem , and if it is still a problem after a couple tries maybe consider a bike fit.
One thing I was wondering, should I have gone with a medium size bike?
The medium is for people that is 5'5 to 5'8.9 with inseam of 30.3 to 32.7.
The large is for people 5'8.9 to 6'1.2 with inseam of 32.3 -34.6
I am about 6ft with 32.2/.3 inseam. The inseam overlap is little confusing.

Although, I generally don't feel it be too big, especially coming from a much smaller bike.
Old 11-26-20, 09:19 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
I think you have a great point. I only need minor adjustment. My reach doesn't feel to terrible, I just want to be little more upright. I'll get a more upright stem , and if it is still a problem after a couple tries maybe consider a bike fit.
One thing I was wondering, should I have gone with a medium size bike?
The medium is for people that is 5'5 to 5'8.9 with inseam of 30.3 to 32.7.
The large is for people 5'8.9 to 6'1.2 with inseam of 32.3 -34.6
I am about 6ft with 32.2/.3 inseam. The inseam overlap is little confusing.

Although, I generally don't feel it be too big, especially coming from a much smaller bike.
i can’t speak for the FX3, but we have the Sirrus 4.0 in both large (58cm) and medium. I’m your size, and the large fits me well. My wife is about 5’6 and rides the medium. It is noticeably too small for me.
Old 11-26-20, 09:30 AM
Awesomeguy

i can’t speak for the FX3, but we have the Sirrus 4.0 in both large (58cm) and medium. I’m your size, and the large fits me well. My wife is about 5’6 and rides the medium. It is noticeably too small for me.
your right , I think large is the better size, after getting in my bike , anything smaller would feel cramped , think I’ll have them put an angled stem, but not change the reach
Old 11-26-20, 10:41 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Be wary of too short a stem.It can make handling "twitchey," that is to say small movement of handlebars turns front wheel a lot, and you can't relax. I bought a gravel bike online that came with an 80mm stem and I found it intolerable. Fortunately the frame was on the smaller side of fitting me, so a longer stem was just what the doctor ordered. I got a 120mm Orbea stem at Random Bike Parts for about $8 and change. It looks like it's sturdy enough to survive a crash, and the bike fits and handles much better. Choose widely, as the stem is one of the most critical aspects of how a bike feels and handles.
Old 11-26-20, 10:51 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Has the OP mentioned what kind of bike this is? I see someone else talking about a Trek FX, but I don't see where the OP specified this.

Question for the OP: Are there any spacers on top of the stem that could be moved underneath it?
Old 11-26-20, 11:10 AM
Awesomeguy

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Has the OP mentioned what kind of bike this is? I see someone else talking about a Trek FX, but I don't see where the OP specified this.

Question for the OP: Are there any spacers on top of the stem that could be moved underneath it?
it is an fx 3 2021 model (lovely bike!!), no spacer options (I don’t think) I’m just going to see if I can get a 17 degree stem instead of the default 7 And , keep the same length
Old 11-26-20, 11:18 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Specialized has a Comp Multi Stem that gives some adjustable range with sleeves. It is not one of those serrated with bolt adjustable stems.

I put one on one of my wife’s bikes and it has worked well.

John
Old 11-26-20, 01:05 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

it is an fx 3 2021 model (lovely bike!!), no spacer options (I don’t think) I’m just going to see if I can get a 17 degree stem instead of the default 7 And , keep the same length
Good move. Get a cheap one, and see how it goes.
Old 11-26-20, 01:53 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Anything that makes cycling more enjoyable is money well spent. That includes a good bike fitting.
Old 11-30-20, 12:37 PM
AlanO

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
I have a few Uno adjustable stems. I can fine tune length and angle then get a fixed stem if I feel like it. It’s pretty obvious when you find a suitable length. Then ride a few days, tweak the angle, ride a few days, etc until you dial in the angle.