Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Buying Biking Shoes online

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-20, 02:44 PM
Alphonsus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Do people recommend buying biking shoes online? I'm a first time buyer and looking to get mtb cycling shoes. How do cycling shoe size compare to real-life shoe size? I'm asking mainly because I'm seeing a lot of deals on biking stores due to black Friday and cyber Monday, and was wondering if it's worth buying and then seeing and then return or is that a lot of effort?
Old 11-27-20, 03:07 PM
fujidon

Bikes: Fuji Pro, Raleigh Team, touring bike, hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
I ordered shoes last year from Amazon. The size I normally wear was between 2 metric sizes. I ordered the larger of the 2 choices because I used to get hot foot when my shoes were snug. I'm pretty happy with the shoes, the price was good and Amazon offers free and easy returns. I would do it again the next time I need shoes.

I would have preferred to order from Nashbar or Performance since they specialize in bike gear and their service has been great, but the only shoes they had that would work for me were a lot more expensive and I'm not into name-brand bike gear.
Old 11-27-20, 03:16 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
There is often very limited styles and sizes available in stores, so after adding the unspoken 'compared to what' part to your question,

the answer is most likely yes.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 11-27-20, 03:23 PM
Alphonsus

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
There is often very limited styles and sizes available in stores, so after adding the unspoken 'compared to what' part to your question,

the answer is most likely yes.
Yeah, browsing the store online there seems to be a lot of varieties, however, looking at the websites of stores around me they have only one type or very limited selection
Old 11-27-20, 03:54 PM
Wttnwa

Bikes: 2003 Allez Specialized Sport

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I bought my first pair of Diamondback clipless shoes earlier this year from Walmart. I didn't want to spend a bunch and couldn't find the size that I wanted on Amazon. The size worked out great and they are working great for me.
Old 11-27-20, 04:13 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
I've only ever purchased bike shoes online due to my shoe size. Buy from Amazon, backcountry, or zappos...or a similar site. Shipping to you is free and free to return (backcountry is like $7 prepaid).
Buy multiple shoes and return what you don't like/doesn't fit.
Old 11-27-20, 04:20 PM
ridingfool

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Alphonsus
Do people recommend buying biking shoes online? I'm a first time buyer and looking to get mtb cycling shoes. How do cycling shoe size compare to real-life shoe size? I'm asking mainly because I'm seeing a lot of deals on biking stores due to black Friday and cyber Monday, and was wondering if it's worth buying and then seeing and then return or is that a lot of effort?
if you have a kohl’s department store near you buy the shoes from Amazon . Then if they don’t fit or you don’t like them just take them back to kohl’s and they will take care of the return and package them back up for free return.
Old 11-28-20, 08:41 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by ridingfool
if you have a kohl’s department store near you buy the shoes from Amazon . Then if they don’t fit or you don’t like them just take them back to kohl’s and they will take care of the return and package them back up for free return.
You can also return items purchased on Amazon at UPS stores . Very simple process that does not even require than you package the item for shipment. You just bring the item and a return slip (gotten from Amazon’s website) and you’re done. Full details are provided on your account page where your orders are listed on Amazon’s website. In addition to UPS stores and Kohl’s, other places to drop off returning items are listed.
Old 11-28-20, 08:54 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
I’ve only bought on line when it’s been a replacement pair that I know fits and feels comfortable.
Old 11-28-20, 11:50 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
=How do cycling shoe size compare to real-life shoe size?
A size 10 is a size 10, whether it's a cycling shoe or not. That said, not every size 10 shoe fits the same. I like when cycling shoes offer Euro sizing instead of US sizing, especially when they come in half-sizes. I buy online all the time, often getting two or three adjacent sizes, knowing that I will return the ones that don't fit. Let the shoe store come to you, so you can take your time and try them on with different socks in the comfort of home.
Old 11-29-20, 02:46 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
You’d buy cycling shoes the same way you’d buy any other shoes online.

A lot lot depends on your particular fit, and the kind of shoes you’re buying. Some people fit a ‘perfect’ size 10 every time, so they don’t think twice about buying online.

I have a short, wide fit, so I wear different sizes from brand to brand and even model to model. I always have to try them on. For example, my Shimano race shoes are size 45, but the far more casual Giro’Fuel’ shoes needed a 46. My NB 1080 running shoes are 11s, but my Ariat work boots are 11.5.

YMMV
Old 11-29-20, 06:46 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Whatever brand you want to buy, try them on somewhere, be it at a LBS, or a big box store with a bike section (REI, Dicks, Sports Basement). that will help you not just narrow down size, but learn if their shoes even suit your feet (narrow/wide fit, space in the toe, grip at the heel, etc).

If your LBS is price-competitive, buy from them.
Old 11-29-20, 07:10 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
A factor to consider is the brand. For instance, if you get Sidis, you may have a sizing problem. In fact, in my experience, many Euro brands don't fit like American brands. I know that most (all?) shoes are made out of country but I take a 10 1/2 US (45 Euro) and the same size in different brands is very different.
Old 11-29-20, 08:03 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I’ll almost always TRY to find something local, and if I like it, I buy it, and I am not going to dicker over price all that much compared fo amazon.

But the reality is that local shops basically never have shoes (or shorts, or helmets) that I want.

I find Amazon a bit of a PITA for stuff like higher end (over $75) shoes and the like. Prices and return policy can often vary by size and color, and on occasion I don’t get what i think I am ordering.

I am more and more going with Backcountry. They usually have good size selection, the people there are knowledgeable, and while you do pay for return shipping, it is reasonable and easy.
Old 11-29-20, 10:58 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
A size 10 is a size 10, whether it's a cycling shoe or not. That said, not every size 10 shoe fits the same. I like when cycling shoes offer Euro sizing instead of US sizing, especially when they come in half-sizes. I buy online all the time, often getting two or three adjacent sizes, knowing that I will return the ones that don't fit. Let the shoe store come to you, so you can take your time and try them on with different socks in the comfort of home.
I'd expand a bit on this. Cycling shoes are typically sized more equivalent to athletic/running shoes. Not sure about anyone else, but universally I find that pretty much whatever brand of athletic shoe I buy, has to be 1 size greater than whatever brands I own of dress shoes.

For cycling shoes, here's one attempt to equate one brand to another:
https://www.mantel.com/blog/en/cycli...recommendation
Old 11-30-20, 07:46 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
Buying shoes online is a gamble. I couldn't find any my size in my town, so I ordered three pairs. One fit, I had to pay to ship the other two back (and the charge sat on my credit card for over a month!).

Times have changed, but now that I know what size fits me in that brand, I've ordered more as the original pairs wore out.
Old 11-30-20, 07:55 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I am a US Mens 8.5 or 9 in regular shoes, and the same for my cycling shoes (clip-less and flats).
Old 11-30-20, 09:21 AM
Danhedonia

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
To the OP: yes, purchasing shoes online is a thing - a good thing.

Also: you have to look at the sizing chart for each brand, esp. with decent shoes that are oriented around European sizing.

The 'right' size for me is different in Shimano, Sidi and Louis Garneau. Come to think of it, my new Specialized Torches (bought online) are yet a different size as well. Each manufacturer will post a size equivalency chart and you would be wise to take them at their word.