Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Gillott mixte in the Atelier

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Gillott mixte in the Atelier

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-20, 12:15 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
First of all, that is beautiful. Ron Cooper spoke of forge-brazing at Gillott's. Gotta wonder how hard that must have been!

Why put the brake on the seat stays? Are the laterals too close together or too close to the seat tube to put the brake posts on the laterals with an extra long straddle wire (hanger in front of the seat post)? I've seen this done (and test rode it) and it worked fine, even with middling Weinmann centerpulls. Since the rear doesn't do as much, it doesn't need the mechanical advantage a short wire would give it. I also liked the lightness and simplicity of the design, with a naked wire running between the laterals up to a housing stop (and easily accessible adjuster if desired) wherever you want to put a bridge. Just food for thought. U-shaped cable runs (up to pulley, down to laterals, up the laterals even a short distance) are not my favorite at all due to the tendency of water to pool inside the housing at the low point. Although with modern stainless cables and PTFE-lined housing, it's less of a concern.
Agreed, but 42mm wide tires and fenders to clear them properly mean long brakes, and long armed brakes like MAFAC RAIDs reach properly. As stated earlier, the twin laterals bend inwards to meet the seat tube. MAFAC RAID test fit shows that they're much wider than the twin laterals have room to attach. I could add some tubing or plate there, but it would look hokey. The customer has seen Brian Chapman put pulleys on mixtes, and if it's good enough for Brian...

Chapman pulley treatment
Old 11-27-20, 11:26 AM
VRJAKE 

Bikes: Bakers dozen is the limit!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Who dat? Might be someone from the east side of the river that I know, and is posting here for the first time?
Isn't this the infamous Dive I hear about around the east side of the river? I'll bet the Raiders are streaming on Sundays.
Old 11-27-20, 02:12 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
Thanks for posting this! Beautiful work.
What do you make of the two thin vertical lines of brass at the top of the head tube?
Brent
apparently the bilaminate lugs were from tubing sections ? or sheet. Pieced together
shows at the bottom bracket and chainstay sockets as well.
Old 11-27-20, 03:50 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked 811 Times in 448 Posts
The Persistence Of Silly Memory - The Plot Thickens

Good knowledge! Thanks for sharing that. I did check, no mark.
Though I'm fairly certain this is not a Cooper frame, it may be a Philbrook. A collector with three Philbrooks wrote me his frames do not have this Cooper signature punch mark.

I went back to my sources to determine if I'm propounding misinformation, which I'm loathe to do. I try to practice rigorous honesty.

The gentleman considered to be The Expert on Philbrook by some, Bryan Clarke, writes:

"Sands and Bogdanowicz both mention a small punch mark that was placed under the right chainstay to identify frames built for others and this is corroborated by Keith Perry. However, owning a Meridian and a Grandini known to have been built by Bill and a number of other frames which were strong candidates I found none in this location. However, the punch marks do exist but just not in this location but once identified are consistently in the same place providing a eureka moment when discovered." Source.

Note Mr. Clarke rather cruelly does not specify where the mark might be, but he does imply he finds the mark on his Philbrooks he previously thought unmarked.

I've scrutinized all the photos in your Flickr album, but they don't cover every inch of that frame.

Is there a punch mark somewhere?
Old 11-27-20, 08:11 PM
repechage

Yeah, a derailleur claw would look awful on this, IMO. I'm discussing with the customer to add a hanger, he's thinking of building it up as a 1X with upright bars. I've done this a few times as repairs to drewed bikes, but the dropouts are a bit thinner than modern derailleur hangers. I'm thinking of hacking off a hanger from a donor dropout, brass brazing it on flush with the inside, then building out the outside of the dropout face with silver brazed stainless faces to make it flush.

Fender issue will be around the twin laterals, which neck down to attach to the seat tube. That's the limiting factor on this build. 650b x 42 test fit was fine, but the fenders may have to indent around those skinny tubes.

As for brakes, I've checked with a set of RAIDs, they'll fit fine on the seat stays, but will require a pulley.
i was guessing the rear Fender will need some metal forming to get it to go - the concept of mounting the rear brake to the laterals... and the fender while holding a nice line AND wheel exchange all at the same time!

a lot to juggle.

a 1x set up would make your job easy but I don’t think a strong idea unless a single gear is employed now. If it has not been tried and proven acceptable at least a derailleur in the back. Then... chain guard?
Old 11-27-20, 08:16 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by machinist42
I've scrutinized all the photos in your Flickr album, but they don't cover every inch of that frame.

Thanks for the tip. I've looked everywhere for a makers mark, none to be found.

Originally Posted by repechage
i was guessing the rear Fender will need some metal forming to get it to go - the concept of mounting the rear brake to the laterals... and the fender while holding a nice line AND wheel exchange all at the same time!

a lot to juggle.

a 1x set up would make your job easy but I don’t think a strong idea unless a single gear is employed now. If it has not been tried and proven acceptable at least a derailleur in the back. Then... chain guard?
It'll be a challenge, but it looks like there's enough room there to massage a fender in. And you must be reading my emails to the customer, a chain guard is being considered, perhaps a cool vintage one. I have a few hanging in the Atelier.

Old 11-27-20, 08:35 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
As an enthusiast both of British lightweights of this era, as well as your own work, I'll be watching this project with excitement, Mark! I hope you're doing well. I'm currently building up that Mercian I was considering sending to you, realizing that its stock configuration is "good enough" for what it may have to offer... I still need to find another contender for you. I recall asking you about a Hetchins once and you said you would rather not touch such a sacred frame, but I fear by mucking around with Gillott Fleurs-de-Lys and the like you've already begun to desecrate holy ground! ;P

-Gregory
Old 11-27-20, 09:10 PM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 197 Posts

a lot to juggle.

A 1X setup isn't necessarily "forever" - it could segue into an IGH hub arrangement , chainguard and all.
Old 11-27-20, 10:17 PM
repechage

Thanks for the tip. I've looked everywhere for a makers mark, none to be found.

It'll be a challenge, but it looks like there's enough room there to massage a fender in. And you must be reading my emails to the customer, a chain guard is being considered, perhaps a cool vintage one. I have a few hanging in the Atelier.

same drafting arm as I have but mine is inverted for left handed draftsmen.
There should be a good candidate up there.
I think one of the two middle-ish ones without a provisional fit.
Old 11-27-20, 11:02 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by daka
An atelier groupie? Is there such a thing?
... Raises hand ...

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Likes For Jeff Wills:
Old 11-28-20, 10:19 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
As an enthusiast both of British lightweights of this era, as well as your own work, I'll be watching this project with excitement, Mark! I hope you're doing well. I'm currently building up that Mercian I was considering sending to you, realizing that its stock configuration is "good enough" for what it may have to offer... I still need to find another contender for you. I recall asking you about a Hetchins once and you said you would rather not touch such a sacred frame, but I fear by mucking around with Gillott Fleurs-de-Lys and the like you've already begun to desecrate holy ground! ;P

-Gregory
Yes, I remember that email converation well, and I'm sticking with it. An exception is being made for this frame for several reasons.

1. A recidivist customer sent me this frame all the way from Wales. That's a big commitment. The first one was a vintage Ephgrave that needed repair even before starting the 650b conversion process. It got a "pass" as it didn't have the original fork - I built a new one for it, so at that point it wasn't original.
2. It's already been media blasted. The original finish is gone. At best it would be a respray, so it's not original anymore.
3. There have already been mods to the frame. Bottle bosses, cable guides, and pump pegs are silver brazed, possibly not available in 1952, and these tiddly bits are definitely modern vintage.

Let the desecration begin!

Last edited by gugie; 11-30-20 at 10:08 PM.
Likes For gugie:
Old 11-28-20, 10:20 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

same drafting arm as I have but mine is inverted for left handed draftsmen.
There should be a good candidate up there.
I think one of the two middle-ish ones without a provisional fit.
I learned drafting on that model in high school, so I had a soft spot for it, and quickly remembered how to set it up and use it.

I think you're right about the choice of chain guards.
Old 11-28-20, 10:47 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montańa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Very, very nice!
OT: tried to go to Waxwing Bags site but got a security threat warning. Is there anything wrong with that site?
Old 11-29-20, 12:02 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Reynolds
Very, very nice!
OT: tried to go to Waxwing Bags site but got a security threat warning. Is there anything wrong with that site?
Hmm, haven't noticed that before. I emailed Dave directly about it, lookslike he might not be using the latest de-flagelator bits to ward off nefarious hackers.

edit: Warning seems to be gone now, check again and let me know!
Old 11-29-20, 12:13 PM
repechage

Very, very nice!
a bunch of sites are showing this warning now.
some will let you proceed, some the browser balks.

only being distant observer web aware there have been features to tighten up security for the user and site owner, also a new style of “ambulance chaser” lawyer who works with a disabled “client” and files what is essentially an extortion suit. All can be fixed, just takes time and money, raises the cost of running a site.

I see a migration by smaller firms to FB and such to make management easier
Old 11-29-20, 12:16 PM
repechage

Really interested to see the mock up of the rear wheel, tire, brake and fender entanglement.
Old 11-29-20, 12:37 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montańa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Hmm, haven't noticed that before. I emailed Dave directly about it, lookslike he might not be using the latest de-flagelator bits to ward off nefarious hackers.

edit: Warning seems to be gone now, check again and let me know!
No warning now, site works OK. Some great bags there!
Old 11-29-20, 12:39 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Really interested to see the mock up of the rear wheel, tire, brake and fender entanglement.
I need to work through a couple of other projects, might get to this in a couple of weeks.
Old 11-29-20, 05:21 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

only being distant observer web aware there have been features to tighten up security for the user and site owner, also a new style of “ambulance chaser” lawyer who works with a disabled “client” and files what is essentially an extortion suit. All can be fixed, just takes time and money, raises the cost of running a site.

Well, live and learn!
Old 11-29-20, 05:53 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 1,386 Times in 758 Posts
same drafting arm as I have ...
Reminds me of my dad's...
Old 11-29-20, 08:10 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,462 Times in 1,130 Posts
Very, very nice!

When I have experienced this warning with links from posts in Bike Forums I have removed the "s" from "https" and then the link works fine.

Apologies for the thread derailment. I hope this information is helpful.
Brent
Old 11-29-20, 10:56 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
If you ever sell that acorn rando bag on the top left you let me know first

(or perhaps a trade for their new x-pac rando bag)

Last edited by polymorphself; 11-29-20 at 11:30 PM.
Old 11-30-20, 11:06 AM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
I'm really looking forward to progress pics on this build!

I've got a soft spot for good mixtes as well, I think they're the most romantic bike!
Yes! I want one in my herd eventually, I'm a bit tall for most of them at 5' 11" (with short legs though), but I browse CL for them halfway regularly hoping to find something for a future project.
Old 11-30-20, 11:16 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
First of all, that is beautiful. Ron Cooper spoke of forge-brazing at Gillott's. Gotta wonder how hard that must have been!

Why put the brake on the seat stays? Are the laterals too close together or too close to the seat tube to put the brake posts on the laterals with an extra long straddle wire (hanger in front of the seat post)? I've seen this done (and test rode it) and it worked fine, even with middling Weinmann centerpulls. Since the rear doesn't do as much, it doesn't need the mechanical advantage a short wire would give it. I also liked the lightness and simplicity of the design, with a naked wire running between the laterals up to a housing stop (and easily accessible adjuster if desired) wherever you want to put a bridge. Just food for thought. U-shaped cable runs (up to pulley, down to laterals, up the laterals even a short distance) are not my favorite at all due to the tendency of water to pool inside the housing at the low point. Although with modern stainless cables and PTFE-lined housing, it's less of a concern.
Are the laterals strong and stiff enough? They look a step smaller than the seatstays.
Old 11-30-20, 11:29 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts

Those dropouts are sweet for 1Xs. I say this as a user of the same dropout on my fix gear. You can run the wheel as far forward or use as big a tire as you want and a short chain and still get the wheel out easily for a flat. (I run a fix-fix hub and have ridden Crater Lake with a 12 on one side, 24 on the other, flipping the wheel at each hillcrest and bottom.)

Originally Posted by machinist42
Though I'm fairly certain this is not a Cooper frame, it may be a Philbrook. A collector with three Philbrooks wrote me his frames do not have this Cooper signature punch mark.

I went back to my sources to determine if I'm propounding misinformation, which I'm loathe to do. I try to practice rigorous honesty.

The gentleman considered to be The Expert on Philbrook by some, Bryan Clarke, writes:

"Sands and Bogdanowicz both mention a small punch mark that was placed under the right chainstay to identify frames built for others and this is corroborated by Keith Perry. However, owning a Meridian and a Grandini known to have been built by Bill and a number of other frames which were strong candidates I found none in this location. However, the punch marks do exist but just not in this location but once identified are consistently in the same place providing a eureka moment when discovered." Source.

Note Mr. Clarke rather cruelly does not specify where the mark might be, but he does imply he finds the mark on his Philbrooks he previously thought unmarked.

Is that a punch mark in the center of the chainstay support? Seems too carefully located to be an accident.

And edit! I finally learned how to do multi-quotes!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.