Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

City Issued Bicycle License

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

City Issued Bicycle License

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-20, 01:07 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Wisconsin law 346.803(2) states:

"Every person operating a bicycle or electric personal assistive mobility device upon a bicycle way open to 2−way traffic shall ride on the right side of the bicycle way."

https://wisconsindot.gov/Documents/s...n/bike/346.pdf
Old 11-20-20, 09:44 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Way back when, cities used to issue/sell bicycle licenses. Typically it was a foil sticker with a serial number placed on the downtube. Supposedly if a bike was stolen and the thief was a complete moron and didn’t remove the sticker, the owner could be tracked down. Do believe the serial number under the crank was also recorded. Do cities even do this anymore? (Yes this is my troll thread for the haters).

Our local PD has a registration system and decal issued. It works bikes are sometimes returned. But probably more not but yes, we have a system. Not a requirement but its a good idea IMO, also free.
Old 11-20-20, 10:21 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
A free system is fine in my book. We have something similar around here, or at least used to. Not that I have ever had a bike returned to me.
Old 11-21-20, 01:14 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane
Not that I have ever had a bike returned to me.
My wife actually did, albeit many years ago. I fixed up a Peugeot UO-8 for her when we were in college. It was stolen from the bike rack in front of her dorm, where it was locked up. Several months later, the police contacted her saying they had recovered her bike. The thief apparently sold the bike to another person he met in a bar, and when that person tried to register the bike it was flagged as stolen.

So, I guess it can work.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 11-22-20, 03:44 PM
cycletheworld78

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Way back when, cities used to issue/sell bicycle licenses. Typically it was a foil sticker with a serial number placed on the downtube. Supposedly if a bike was stolen and the thief was a complete moron and didn’t remove the sticker, the owner could be tracked down. Do believe the serial number under the crank was also recorded. Do cities even do this anymore? (Yes this is my troll thread for the haters).
not that I know of
Old 11-22-20, 07:14 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
I wouldn't have a problem with a yearly license fee, but not on every bike. If done like a hunting or fishing license where you get a single license that you clip on your jersey, covering everything (all your rod's and reels, etc.), would be reasonable IN MY OPINION. Most of us have one or two cars, but some have a large number of bikes. A separate fee for each bike would be overkill. I ride on public roads and on trails in state parks so a small contribution towards upkeep and signage seems appropriate.
Old 11-28-20, 12:43 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Can you get a ticket for riding on the wrong side in your state? I've never heard of such a law or it's enforcement in CT.
In Michigan I'm sure it's stated that bikes are to use the vehicle lanes by traveling in the same direction as the cars. Whether the police really care is another story.

I grew up in Chicago and learned to ride the same way. I think Illinois Rules of the Road said that's how bikes should use the road, but drivers' training was many moons ago!

As far as whether you can get a ticket, I think the cops have authority that if they want to, they can write you up. Pretty sure in both states that impeding traffic is seen as a problem.