Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fast 32mm clincher tire with tan sidewall

Notices
Road Cycling It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle. -- Ernest Hemingway

Fast 32mm clincher tire with tan sidewall

Old 11-25-20, 11:18 AM
Kapusta
Cyclochondriac

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1696 Post(s)
Liked 938 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
This is the info I was after, so thank you.

I use those tires on a bike that is ridden mostly on pavement and a bit on dirt and mild gravel roads. Sounds like the Extralight casing might work for me. At the prices they charge for those tires, though, I don't want to make a mistake.
Yeah, $170 for a pair of tires definitely gave me pause before I tried them.
Old 11-25-20, 12:49 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Laseranimal View Post
With all the recommendations for the Gravelkings can anyone compare them to a GP 4 season in terms of puncture protection/rolling resistance/weight?

I've got 28mm 4 seasons on now and they really puff out to about 31mm once inflated. Ride is nice but I'm really liking the tan sidewalls of the gravelkings and was wondering if anyone had a comparison
You might be interested in the GravelKing Plus
Old 11-28-20, 12:14 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,160 Posts
Since everyone is dying to know my decision, I've narrowed it to...

- Panaracer gravelking 32mm- good price, good weight, good look, good sidewall durability, decent speed but probably a bit slower im guessing. I have a pair in 28mm and wouldn't call them lighting fast.
- Continental GP 5000 32mm- decent price, good weight, not the greatest sidewall durability, fast.
- WTB Expanse 32mm- decent price, decent weight, good look, probably not the greatest sidewall durability, im guessing decently good speed.
- Soma Vitesse SL 33mm- great price, great weight, good look. Im guessing since its so light, itll have bad sidewall durability and also be fast.

The Soma is tempting due to the cost. Itd be great if its a durable tire, itd be a damn unicorn then. The cost is so good, it could be worth trying out. If the heavier version were just as cheap, I would buy a pair for sure.
Old 11-28-20, 07:15 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2007 Post(s)
Liked 2,363 Times in 1,094 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Since everyone is dying to know my decision, I've narrowed it to...

- Panaracer gravelking 32mm- good price, good weight, good look, good sidewall durability, decent speed but probably a bit slower im guessing. I have a pair in 28mm and wouldn't call them lighting fast.
- Continental GP 5000 32mm- decent price, good weight, not the greatest sidewall durability, fast.
- WTB Expanse 32mm- decent price, decent weight, good look, probably not the greatest sidewall durability, im guessing decently good speed.
- Soma Vitesse SL 33mm- great price, great weight, good look. Im guessing since its so light, itll have bad sidewall durability and also be fast.

The Soma is tempting due to the cost. Itd be great if its a durable tire, itd be a damn unicorn then. The cost is so good, it could be worth trying out. If the heavier version were just as cheap, I would buy a pair for sure.
I followed the link to the Somas and agree. For that price, its worth a shot. But be prepared for roadside repairs at that weight.
Old 11-28-20, 07:18 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 340 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14935 Post(s)
Liked 3,850 Times in 2,047 Posts
Huh. I'd looked at WTB tires (the Exposure, specifically) last year and couldn't find them for less than 80 bucks. Now that I have a road bike that can't clear them, it seems that they've dropped their prices by $20+ across the board.
Old 11-28-20, 10:29 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: Venge, R5, Shiv, Lynskey and a few more

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 271 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Huh. I'd looked at WTB tires (the Exposure, specifically) last year and couldn't find them for less than 80 bucks. Now that I have a road bike that can't clear them, it seems that they've dropped their prices by $20+ across the board.
By a strange coincidence, I just had this open on another window:
https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...g-tyre-1063012

25 euros a pop - that's the cheapest I have seen them.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 12-01-20, 03:46 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale CAADX 105 SE, 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Marylander View Post
The gravelking slicks might fit the bill. In spite of having gravel in the name they're pretty roadie.
Came in to post ^^^this. The Panaracer Gravelking (not the Gravelking SK) is certainly as puncture-resistant as a Conti GP5000S and is a very nice all-around tire; I use those on my CAADX.
Not sure I want to open the "is it as fast as...?" can-of-worms, but since I've never used the 32mm Contis I don't really have a firsthand apples-to-apples comparison.
(Arguably since I've never used the 32mm Contis my comment about the GK's puncture resistance should also be taken with a grain of salt. But I'll stand by my comment that 32mm GKs are certainly as puncture-resistant as 23 or 25mm Conti GP5000S, and/or GP4000S II.)