Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

two brakes - One handle ??

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 11-28-20, 04:36 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 191 Posts

OK, We very rarely get newer used bikes in our shop but got in one the other day with a brake system I have never seen before.

It has a single handle but yet controls both the front and rear rim brakes via cables.

Not having seen this before, I am unsure what it is even called to look up help on repair/adjustment. It seems the brake cable travels from a floating pad of one brake assembly to the other brake assembly..

Can someone tell me what this brake system is called and possibly point me to some repair/ adjustment docs/videos?

Thanks

Last edited by JoeTBM; 11-28-20 at 05:06 AM.
Old 11-28-20, 06:54 AM
ARider2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I recently came across such a bike. I believe it was a Jamis or a Hudson. The bike only had a right hand brake lever which engaged both front and rear brake sets. The rear brake has a floating brake pad that slides forward when it contacts the rim. The floating rear brake pad is attached to a brake cable leading to the front brake set which is actuated when it contacts the rim. As the floating brake pad contacts the rim it slides forward which pulls the cable which engages the front brake pad. The front brake set is normal. We asked the bikes owner about the brakes (which were weak at best) and he asked us to convert to a conventional system with separate brake levers. Some people need a brake system to operate with only one lever but I think the Double Barrel brake lever offered by Problem Solvers is a better option...

Old 11-28-20, 07:29 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,358 Times in 2,034 Posts
Common on tandem bicycles with 3 brakes. 1 drum and 2 rim brakes.
There are a number of ways to accomplish this.

https://problemsolversbike.com/files...le1-2_inst.pdf

Last edited by dedhed; 11-28-20 at 07:36 AM.
Old 11-28-20, 07:55 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Probably the simplest solution would be to convert the brakes to 2 separate levers as ARider2's customer requested.
Old 11-28-20, 08:02 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Never knew that exists. I doubt it improves braking because your finger force will be split in half for each brake. I guess diverting braking force over 2 brakes helps cooling each brake, though. So the above tandem comment makes sense.
I first though it was for a person with just one hand to control front and rear. but on a bike, you want separate control over rear and front brake (unlike a car, where the driver only has 1 brake, but the computer uses electronic brake force distribution, ABS and VSC to control each of the 4 wheels individually)
Old 11-28-20, 09:03 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked 2,830 Times in 1,457 Posts
FWIW DiaCompe used to, or maybe still does, make a drop bar style lever to control both brakes.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-28-20, 09:39 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Originally Posted by ARider2
I recently came across such a bike. I believe it was a Jamis or a Hudson. The bike only had a right hand brake lever which engaged both front and rear brake sets. The rear brake has a floating brake pad that slides forward when it contacts the rim. The floating rear brake pad is attached to a brake cable leading to the front brake set which is actuated when it contacts the rim. As the floating brake pad contacts the rim it slides forward which pulls the cable which engages the front brake pad. The front brake set is normal. We asked the bikes owner about the brakes (which were weak at best) and he asked us to convert to a conventional system with separate brake levers. Some people need a brake system to operate with only one lever but I think the Double Barrel brake lever offered by Problem Solvers is a better option...

As you described. Is there a name of this brake system and any fine points for adjustment, like a youtube video. I checked Park Tool's site and didn't see anything covering iit? It might have been a Jamis bike, right now it is in the back of our storage unit so getting to it to check is a royal pain.

Last edited by JoeTBM; 11-28-20 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-28-20, 09:48 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

I think I found it, check out this link

bike world news

Thanks to @ARider2 for pointing me in the right direction

Last edited by JoeTBM; 11-28-20 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-28-20, 10:13 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

It is called a Sure Stop brake system SURESTOP Brake System | Safer, Smarter, Simpler Braking

I also found two YouTube videos, 1st showing how it works and 2nd is how to replace the active pad

Edited to add a replacement parts kit

https://surestop.bike/replacement-parts/

Last edited by JoeTBM; 11-28-20 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Added part purchase info
Old 11-28-20, 12:29 PM
HerrKaLeun

Lol. they are afraid of the FRONT locking up? The front never locks up on normal surface, the rear will. and the added 2m of cable for the front brake (going to rear, then back front) adds so much friction and stretch that the front brake just will be a token brake. and ultimately you only use the force of one hand. That must be less overall braking power than than using the force of 2 hands.
Old 11-28-20, 03:18 PM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
They are also in use for bikes designed for bicycle Polo. Since one hand is wielding a polo stick, the other must do double braking duty...
Old 11-28-20, 05:11 PM
ARider2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
We found the braking was weak with the one lever system, giving little or no front braking power and weak rear braking too but it was several years old and would probably have performed a little better with new pads and cables. Using separate brake levers and new pads had it working well again.
Old 11-28-20, 07:04 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Frequently used by someone with one hand!
Old 11-28-20, 09:28 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
Frequently used by someone with one hand!
Maybe this guy,

The Fugitive.....
Best, Ben
Old 11-29-20, 06:38 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
Lol. they are afraid of the FRONT locking up? The front never locks up on normal surface....
What I’ve seen happen though is a rider clamping down hard on the front brake, w/o being properly braced or positioned. Inertia then proceeds to drape the rider over the handlebar, at which point all semblance of balance and control is lost.
While not necessarily a lockup by definition, it can quite probably feel like one.
And blaming lockup, inferior design is more acceptable to the ego than admitting to user error.
Old 11-29-20, 07:08 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Found, but not purchased, at the local co-op. While it might not provide the best braking performance, depending on how the brakes are adjusted, for someone with a bum paw it might be just what s/he needs.
Old 11-29-20, 07:38 AM
HerrKaLeun

Originally Posted by dabac
What I’ve seen happen though is a rider clamping down hard on the front brake, w/o being properly braced or positioned. Inertia then proceeds to drape the rider over the handlebar, at which point all semblance of balance and control is lost.
While not necessarily a lockup by definition, it can quite probably feel like one.
And blaming lockup, inferior design is more acceptable to the ego than admitting to user error.
You can fly over the handlebar due to lack of skill, that doesn't mean the wheel locks up. My bike ahs 203 mm front rotor and Deore brakes and stops on a dime. The front is impossible to lock up on dry pavement. On ice, or deep mud, Sure. If the front would lock up, the rear would not lift up and you would fall sideways.

And this 2-brake contraption only gives HALF the brake force to each brake since you only use one hand, which happen to be half the hands you use on a normal setup. Yes, locking up may not be an issue, but stopping before you hit something will be an issue.
Old 11-29-20, 07:44 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 514 Posts
My daughter was born with a short left arm, just below the elbow. I built this bike for her, a grip shifter for the rear and a thumbie for the front. A bar end on the left side lifts it up high enough for her to rest her arm on.
Likes For bwilli88:
Old 11-30-20, 02:44 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Originally Posted by bwilli88
My daughter was born with a short left arm, just below the elbow. I built this bike for her, a grip shifter for the rear and a thumbie for the front. A bar end on the left side lifts it up high enough for her to rest her arm on.

Nicely done