Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Wheels for a Clydesdale

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-20, 08:19 AM
Cpt.Clyde

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wheels for a Clydesdale

New guy (should have signed up as oldest new guy!), a million mistakes already, but since Im averaging over 500 miles a month since february (and down about 40lbs due to cycling) Im getting better, and the mistakes less painful...

Todays question (there will be more...)

5'11 215lbs (now, beats the stuffing out of 250+), and I keep buying bikes! I like good ones! I think Im tapped out on buying, and really working on keeping whats right (likely all of it)

Heres my arsenal

Bought em all pre owned

2015 Trek Domane Ultegra, stock, wheels are Fulcrum Zeros
2005 or so Basso Devil rolling on Fulcrum 1s
2002 or so Litespeed Arenberg all 105, on Ksyrium Sl SSC

I just bought (I know, 3 was plenty) A Lynskey R350, mint condition, on Easton Circuit/ Velo wheelset.

So, I am going to try to cut my fleet down 1. Probably gonna cut the litespeed....

What wheelset do i keep, which should be easiest for me to let go, based on my size/weight?
Theyre all straight, and in good shape.

i think I have a good problem, I like everything, and all is well. So good Im gonna go thrash down a quick 25 or so, and see what you guys have for ideas...

I do appreciate your thoughts on the matter, I am the oldest new guy, Well, close anyway.

The Cpt.
Old 09-03-20, 09:00 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,587 Times in 3,777 Posts
Thread moved from General Cycling Discussion to Clydes and Athenas.
Old 09-04-20, 09:19 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I don't share your taste for the lightest latest wheels available.. I built a wheel set decades ago 36 plain 1.8mm spokes still fine,
My C&V Road bike..
... though @ 72 I'm riding my Bike Friday (& Brompton) more for its step-through like ease of getting on and off..

Old 09-04-20, 09:34 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
All 3 wheelsets sound like good ones. Maybe a bit narrow for a Clyde but you should still be able to run 25mm tires. I’d be reluctant to try 28 mm tires on older rims with like 13.5 mm interior width like the Mavic SSC’s. Upgrade to thinner rim tape (if you require rim tape at all) and try latex tubes and open tubulars to reward yourself for your weight loss so far and to gain a bit more road feel.
Are the Fulcrum’s tubeless ready? If they are I would say go ahead and set one set up tubeless and see how you like it.
For used rim brake wheelsets, so long as the braking tracks aren’t overly dished out I would say keep using them!

Last edited by masi61; 09-20-20 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-04-20, 05:34 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
All good wheels. My money would be on the Mavics as where I live they are terrible to get spares for, especially spokes. Your experience may be different.
Old 09-05-20, 07:10 AM
Cpt.Clyde

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks guys.

i will do random comments and try to learn a few things.

Comments show how little i know...yikes!

I am not trying to get the lightest/ latest wheelset available, that is easy to find...I'd imagine.
Im not a racer, but I like to compete (I am my own clockwatcher), I have joined up with a group, and Im not the slowest guy anymore.
i am spoiled by terrain, I have everything imaginable outside my door, flat, hills.

What I have are 4 sets of wheels, and Im gonna part with 1 ( I think), and I am asking for a wheel rating.

According to big brother ( a former bike racer, but we dont get to talk enough, different country) all what I have is good...

Wow, the things I didnt know... and things learning about.

I have 28s on the Ksyriums, and like em!
The fulcrums are 2way fit, tubeless ready, do I really want to try tubeless????
You mean all wheels for a road bike arent the same width!
What does 700 or 650 mean?
Im learning that people/companies are emphasizing aero over weight. Kind of makes sense
Im emphasizing not breaking a wheel over not calling my wife to come get me, that has already happened, spoke snapper, then I crashed...
what do you mean a weight limit on wheels lol? Makes sense, more spokes better, but the big blade spokes seem sturdy. Friggin wind with the big blades can make things interesting in a hurry. Gotta feeling bearing are important too. The Fulcrums really seem to roll, the Eastons/Velo are heinously silent.

This is alot of fun, i have become a clothes horse, yikes...gotta match, right?

Then theres the endurance (what I am doing, I guess) geometry. I think the "road noise" and comfort are relative to endurance, so seat/seatpost flex, handlebar/tape flex/feel, wheelset and tire flex absorption all play heavy factors in not hating your ride.

Talk about covering ground... as a matter of fact, I will now go shoot down some mileage. Posse ride tomorrow too.

Thanks for your commentary, it is enjoyable
Old 09-07-20, 09:16 AM
Cpt.Clyde

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im surprised I didnt get a bunch of feedback on this.
So, whats up? Heres whats up. I am getting faster!
Posse ride yesterday, I pushed hard, and had energy to burn. Short ride (37 miles) and flat, minimal wind. I did my best time, and average, under 2 hours, average 18.7 mph, and I pulled the tribe way more than half the time. Got passed by a few flyweights, but nobody lasted, and I put the hurt on em (had to hurt getting passed by a fatbastard, right???). Rode the Basso, comfortable, quiet, dependable, 50/34 fr 12/30 rear, covers most anything I can do...

So, todays question. I was looking at the Easton wheels, is there a "seam" joining the hoops? I mean up/down, not across. I have a seam/junction/crack, both sides of the front wheel. These are definately the lowest mile wheelset, they appear new/unused. To not confuse, the line in the rim runs the same way as the valve stem... I cant post pics

I thought the rim width/tire width explanation was good. I have a lighbulb thing going on the ksyriums, 28s on the narrower rims...

I am happy on the bike...I just pedal..use logic

Thanks again
Old 09-07-20, 02:47 PM
BrazAd

Bikes: 1983 Trek 400, 2015 Cannondale Synapse, Soma Double Cross, 2021 Salsa Warbird 600

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 19 Posts
Try a set of carbon Reynolds wheels. They have no weight limit. I bought a Cannondale Synapse in August 2018, just 25 months ago. It came with a set of Reynolds 45mm carbon wheels. I weighed 235ish at the time.

Now with over 11,000 miles on them (and I'm now at 221), they have been bomb-proof. They ride smooth and I haven't had one issue with them. Not only that, they are reasonably priced.

Highly recommended!

Gary
Likes For BrazAd:
Old 09-07-20, 07:52 PM
Cpt.Clyde

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
will do, thanks for the thought.

I know there are definately good build/builders and not. I also know a thrasher will thrash anything, and a smooth guy can get alot out of not much.

I am not a thrasher. I do make alot of torque (I think), but I am smooth about it. i squashed a set of spinergy wheels, they didnt last 2 days. Flat ground, never got to a hill, didnt make 30 miles. I think made for a flyweight...good thing i was not going fast

Rumor is, the more spokes the better. The spinergy have alot of spokes, so do the eastons. Fulcrums have like 9, lol, I think 16fr 21 rear, Ksyrium are 16/20 i think.

I am afraid of the easton wheels, but they get great reviews. Also, I found out there ARE seams upon manufacturing, so I am not imagining things.

I flew down my local switchback hill, approached 40mph, no fear (Stupid???), bike was 100% stable, the Basso with the fulcrum race 1.

I am looking for sub 200lbs (for me, duh), and a century ride 5 hours or less (Gonna need a stern posse for that one). I think doable in less than 60 days (if they hold some events), I can squeeze the weight off...

Fun stuff, this cycling....
Old 09-09-20, 07:17 AM
chadtrent

Bikes: 2020 Canyon Endurace CF SL

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Cpt.Clyde
will do, thanks for the thought.

I know there are definately good build/builders and not. I also know a thrasher will thrash anything, and a smooth guy can get alot out of not much.

I am not a thrasher. I do make alot of torque (I think), but I am smooth about it. i squashed a set of spinergy wheels, they didnt last 2 days. Flat ground, never got to a hill, didnt make 30 miles. I think made for a flyweight...good thing i was not going fast

Rumor is, the more spokes the better. The spinergy have alot of spokes, so do the eastons. Fulcrums have like 9, lol, I think 16fr 21 rear, Ksyrium are 16/20 i think.

I am afraid of the easton wheels, but they get great reviews. Also, I found out there ARE seams upon manufacturing, so I am not imagining things.

I flew down my local switchback hill, approached 40mph, no fear (Stupid???), bike was 100% stable, the Basso with the fulcrum race 1.

I am looking for sub 200lbs (for me, duh), and a century ride 5 hours or less (Gonna need a stern posse for that one). I think doable in less than 60 days (if they hold some events), I can squeeze the weight off...

Fun stuff, this cycling....
I would contact Spinergy. They put no weight limit on their wheels. I am closer to 300 pounds than to 200. I rode a set of Spinergy Z-Lites for over 2000 miles with no problems.

While it is true that more spokes are generally recommended for heavier riders, my primary set of wheels for close to 10 years was a set of Mavic Aksiums with 20/20 spokes. I got several thousand miles out of them. If I hadn't worn through the brake track on the wheels I would probably still be riding them.
Old 09-09-20, 07:33 AM
Cpt.Clyde

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for reply.
Spinergy was very nice after the broken spoke incident. They sent me a pack of nipples for replacement. I got the wheel trued up, and just happened to sell them recently.
I didnt have much faith in them, and they can continue their roll with someone else aboard.

Lucky for me, I am getting along real well with my local bike shop owner. I torture him with questions, but I have been able to repay as he has needed my business services as well. I brought him my easton wheelset and he showed me about wheel seams, he confirmed my wheels are fine. We are about to find out as I am going to go thrash about for a quick 40 or so. Sore ankle, so maybe no so quick...poor me I have the skinniest ankles to drag around my lardass...
Old 10-03-20, 04:09 PM
CoachPC

Bikes: 2006 Litespeed Firenze

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
HED Ardennes "Stallion" build is a quality wheel set for those of us over 210