Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Lake Wales FL and surrounding

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 11-09-20, 07:06 AM
Goin da dist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am moving from Minneapolis to Lake Wales Fl. I am looking for someone to ride with just to show me around. Ideally I’d like to find some 20-100mi plus routes. I’ve done some searches and comparatively Central Florida has nothing for trails. I’d prefer to avoid as much traffic as possible.
Old 11-09-20, 07:26 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Try looking for cycling clubs.

Lake Wales might be far enough away from major population centers that you could find good riding roads without too much trouble.

There is a road race each spring in the neighboring town of Alturas .... lots of rural roads through orange groves, not a huge amount of traffic.

Not a lot of bike trails. I know there used to be a long, straight, flat trail (https://www.floridastateparks.org/pa...ee-state-trail) which a friend used to use for out-and-back centuries. and some short MUP trails in some towns---nothing like a century or even a metric century .... , a rails-to-trails near or through Orlando ....

I used to ride daily in and around Orlando. Road riding in Central Florida has vastly improved, but if you don't like cars ..... well ..... Lake Wales is west of there, and safer still.

There are (last time I was there) some decent semi-rural roads with light traffic .... worse near intersections and towns, but pretty safe and enjoyable for most of the length.

I'd suggest contacting regional clubs. Not sure how many are still active in these days of the CCP disease.
Old 11-09-20, 12:42 PM
Cabo_juabo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
100 Central FL bike trails

take a browse at this link ...

{edit] Since I've been mostly a lurker here, I'm not yet allowed to post a link to another site. Do a search for 100Floridatrails dot com --> Trails --> Central Florida Region. There you will find detailed maps of a number of decent trails in the area.

I'm in Lakeland. Not too far from Lake Wales. You'll find a decent amount of paved trails in Polk County. The development of the road infrastructure here did not anticipate bike lanes. I no longer ride on the roads here.
Old 11-09-20, 10:15 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
24+ Bike Trails, Central Florida. E-Z Map Links, 100's Photos This is a great site for Floridians, glad someone posted it.

Be warned, these are not all paved trails.

For paved trails I have ridden Fort Fraser Trail and the Chain of Lakes Trail. Good routes but short. There is an extended route off the Chain of Lakes trail which includes some roads which have a little traffic but hardly any, where a local club used to ride every Sunday.

Circle B Bar Reserve is really not for riding---it is a nature preserve, and mostly the trail is full of photographers and strolling families. This is one for your balloon-tire single-speed, and 5 mph max.
Old 11-10-20, 05:16 AM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
There’s a paved trail that starts in Polk City, just north west of where you are going, and ends in Mabel. I rode it when I was there for Disney.

Its 35 miles from start to finish. So 70 round trip.
Likes For Greatestalltime:
Old 11-14-20, 08:50 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Get ready for the Horrible Hundred in November 2021!
Old 11-15-20, 07:33 AM
BCAC

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, GF 29er, old Trek Madone

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 29 Posts
A very good bike shop called Road and Trail is probably around 20 minutes from you and has a Saturday morning ride ranging from around 30 - 60 miles. I bet there are folks there from the Lake Wales area.
Old 11-26-20, 06:03 PM
beeballman
beeballman

Bikes: 2024 Trek Madone SL6

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts
No Trails would be wrong here in Central Florida there are plenty of long paved trails. West Orange Trail, 30 miles one way, Seminole Wekiva , and Van Fleet to name a few.