Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Baby's first mountain bike

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 11-09-20, 11:06 AM
dobrosailor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, I am 6' 205 and wanting to get into a mountain bike. I don't have a lot of $$$ and am looking to ride trails to get rid of my Covid Pack (weight put on by sitting at home since Feb). I have been watching for $100-$200 bikes and along comes a friend with a 2016 Motobecane 29" wheels, 18" frame Fantom hardtail. Its clean and basically perfect with rockshox with a handle mounted fork lock that appears to work. I have ridden a few bikes but this one made me feel free, I rode as fast as I could and loved every min. Sooooooo, questions: he wants $400 for the bike.

WIll it fit, the calculator says I should have a 19,

is it the right price, should I try and work it or???

Good value helmet and any other riding paraphernalia suggested?

Thanks,
Old 11-09-20, 11:23 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by dobrosailor

Good value helmet and any other riding paraphernalia suggested?

Thanks,
Good helmet. Value is what you want to pay. As with everything, there is a point where it's a question of diminishing returns. Also: Gloves. Always gloves. They protect against the sun if you get the right ones, and they protect your palms when you fall.
Old 11-09-20, 12:51 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Price right is hard to guess. But probably not bad. A bike like that is at or over $1000 new, and bikes have been scarce this year.

This being November, consider some lights. It's easy to get caught out after five.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 11-09-20, 02:47 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
You should be on a large or XL frame. You will feel pretty cramped on this bike on long rides. We used to think riding a smaller frame size made the bike better handling off road. The reality is we ran longer stems and long setback seatposts trying to compensate for a bad fit. Price doesn't matter if it isn't the right size.
Likes For c_m_shooter:
Old 11-09-20, 02:54 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 840 Times in 407 Posts
You rode it, it feels good. A friend is selling it, so that de-risks the deal quite a bit. You're ready to go. You really think that some $150 "who's got my miracle?" is hiding around the corner? Stop thinking.
Old 11-10-20, 05:39 AM
dobrosailor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Price right is hard to guess. But probably not bad. A bike like that is at or over $1000 new, and bikes have been scarce this year.

This being November, consider some lights. It's easy to get caught out after five.
He paid $800 4 years ago. I rode a couple of Gravities in a shop, both hardtail and dual, they were 19" frames, 29" wheels. They felt cramped, I felt like I was over the front wheel, like if I hit the brakes too hard I could go over. I didn't like it but thought it was just too long since I rode. When I got on the Moto, it was an entirely different feel, I just wanted to go fast, and fast I did go - what a great feeling! I'll try riding some other bikes but frankly $400 is a stretch for me, and buying a helmet will be tough - kind of stretch.

Originally, I was thinking I would get a wanmart special from CL for 1-200 used. They are a dime a dozen, but then a work collegue started talking about MBing and he is the guy with the Moto. Turns out its like buying a computer, the add-ons just pile on and cheap is an illusion.

He is not pressuring me to buy it at all but he will sell it...

Thanks for your thoughts,

M
Old 11-10-20, 08:27 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Gravity is a cheap bike... about $1,000 cheaper and has a shorter wheelbase... about 2 inches shorter.
If you like this "MOTOBECANE" buy it. But you should be on a 19-21 inch frame.
But like I say.... if it feels like a good fit, buy it.