Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cannondale R2000 (2004) advice

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-16, 12:22 PM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I came accross this bike and I am interested in it for a 2nd bike. I was hoping to build something but this has me somewhat interested.
It is a 2004 Cannondale S2000 (2004). The listing price is $650, which I think is a little high. I noticed that it has Sora Shifters but the rest looks like the original Ultegra but it is hard to tell from the pics. It is also hard to tell about the condition of the teeth on it. The bike is about 1 hour away so I don't want to waste time driving out to walk away because of the price. I would like to be reasonable with him via text or phone before wasting either of our time in me going out to look at it. I am thinking about $350. Any thoughts on this price?
Cannondale R2000 men's 60cm aluminum 18 speed road/triathlon bike
Old 06-16-16, 12:52 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 383 Posts
Nice bike. Since they're listing at 625.00 I wouldn't offer less than 400.00.
Old 06-16-16, 12:52 PM
cave12man

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2004 Cannondale R2000 - New and Used Bike Value

Yeah I'd say that's more than a little high. Even with BBB being just a starting point, they still list it at around $450 in EXCELLENT condition. I think you're in the right state of mind with your price. Probably going to be tough to negotiate that low, especially since most people have no idea how much their stuff is actually worth. End of the day, it's still a 12 year old bike. $625 or so could get you a relatively decent brand new bike nowadays.
Old 06-16-16, 12:54 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 431 Posts
I was thinking something in the $400 range seems about right. Those wheels alone go for about $250 on the used market.
Old 06-16-16, 06:10 PM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cave12man
2004 Cannondale R2000 - New and Used Bike Value

Yeah I'd say that's more than a little high. Even with BBB being just a starting point, they still list it at around $450 in EXCELLENT condition. I think you're in the right state of mind with your price. Probably going to be tough to negotiate that low, especially since most people have no idea how much their stuff is actually worth. End of the day, it's still a 12 year old bike. $625 or so could get you a relatively decent brand new bike nowadays.
The fact that it has Sora on it and not the original Ultegra shifters would detract from the BBB price, in my opinion. The reality is that I really do not want the groupset anyway as I was originally shopping for a frame to build out. My regular ride is Campy and I wanted to stick with it but this bike would be too expensive to do that as I would have to deal with the hubs as well. I have to think hard on this. At $300-$325 is is kind of a fun project. At above that, it is probably not worth it. I was about to pull the trigger on a new Soma Smoothie and build it out with Campy Veloce. It would be much different than my current Colnago CLX, but that is part of the fun. My plan was to use it as a 2nd bike that I would keep in the city that I will be spending 4 days a week in for the next year or two. This bike had me curious at the right price and condition. I will probably text the guy and just tell him that I do not want to drive over an hour to see it if we cant come to agreement on price before I get there. I hate to operate like that but time is too hard to come by right now to get out there.
So my next question--This bike as is or the new Soma built out with Veloce?
Old 06-16-16, 07:26 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Why not get the Cannondale, strip and sell the parts/wheels, and put a Veloce groupset on it? The cannondale is a sweet bike and in wonderful condition. It will be cheaper than getting the new Soma frame (at $466), especially if you sell those Ultegra parts.
Old 06-16-16, 07:37 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
If you look at it in person I bet it looks rough. In the pics I can see paint chips and scratches. Just look at the top tube cable guides. And Sora shifters are a no-go. And why did they get replaced? Was the bike laid down and they got damaged? Who knows. I'd pass on it.