Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Sun EZ-3

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Sun EZ-3

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-12, 10:01 AM
ebartom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sun EZ-3

So -- I've never ridden a recumbent before, but I've been thinking about getting a recumbent trike, because of balance issues. Someone is selling a Sun EZ-3 on Craig's List for $250. Would this be a reasonable first trike to try? I have a 1.5 mile commute to work (most of which is soon to be protected bike lane) and an occasional 6 mile ride on MUP to museums. Is my 5 year old going to be faster than me, on this relatively heavy trike? The price seems right to try it out. It would have to live outside, as I can't carry 60-something lbs up and down the basement stairs twice a day.
Old 03-27-12, 10:14 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
My wife has an EZ-3 and loves it. Here, she has her Nashbar trailer attached.. We're planning on a tour this Summer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Earlena with Trailer.jpg (57.3 KB, 64 views)

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 03-27-12, 11:25 AM
ebartom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good to hear! Any idea whether it would fit inside a small minivan, to transport home?

How is riding it on city streets? I'm a little wary of riding a recumbent in car traffic, though that's a general recumbent trike issue, not specific to this model. Does it block a whole bike lane?
Old 03-28-12, 06:57 AM
Peter_C
I am the Snail~!

Bikes: 2010 TerraTrike Rover 8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
First, may I suggest a visit to the BROL trike section? https://www.bentrideronline.com/messa...splay.php?f=13

A lot of folks want to try a *lower-priced* trike to test the waters, and there's nothing wrong with that~! I own a TerraTrike 'Rover' myself, and love it. Like my Rover, the Sun is a heavier basic trike without too many frills. New trikes start around $1K and go to around $6K, with reasonable nice new ones around $2-3K in price.

A few points to consider? As with bikes, it's all about the engine, but most trike riders find themselves about 3-4mph slower than on their bike. Me, I don't care as I am not in a hurry, and the comfort level is well worth the trade-off in speed. By adding a rack and panniers or a tailbox, you can easily carry 20-40lbs of gear and hardly notice it.

A 'flag' is a great idea, as is to-be-seen lights. Most trike riders find that for whatever reason, they get more room on the road than they do with their bikes! I think it's a great price, and I'd jump on it fast if it's in reasonable shape~!! More so with trikes, test rides are critical, as different trikes feel very different, from love to hate, so make sure you like it before you buy

Old 03-28-12, 09:05 AM
crackerdog

Bikes: xtracycle, electric recumbent, downtube folder and more

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not in the market for a trike and I would grab it if it were nearby. I would fix it up and sell it for the same price to my neighbor who has MS and can't ride a regular bike anymore.
Old 03-28-12, 10:30 AM
Cyclebum

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Motivation is always the key ingredient. I met Michael not long ago hand pedaling a trike. Paraplegic. He commutes daily. Rode it on an Alaska adventure 50 miles/day for 5 days.

Not a direct answer to your question, but as it seems you're an avid cyclist, might want to skip the
'tip toe' in approach for the 'dive right in,' go for quality up front stategy.

I recently switched from DF to lwb bent, a Tour Easy. Wondering now why I waited so long. Love that thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
MichaelStevenson.jpg (81.1 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Cyclebum; 03-28-12 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-28-12, 01:13 PM
ebartom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, the guy on Craig's list hasn't answered my email, so dipping a toe in may not be an option. We'll see! I've definitely gotten more excited about the possibilities since I initially saw the ad.
Old 03-28-12, 04:49 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Originally Posted by ebartom
Good to hear! Any idea whether it would fit inside a small minivan, to transport home?

How is riding it on city streets? I'm a little wary of riding a recumbent in car traffic, though that's a general recumbent trike issue, not specific to this model. Does it block a whole bike lane?

I used to load it into both an Astro and a Lumina Van. I also built a roof rack for it that worked well on a little Oldsmobile I had for a bit.

Old 03-30-12, 04:41 AM
PaPa

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Make that +2 for the EZ3.

It's a 'delta' (1 front wheel/2 rear), the Rover mentioned is a 'tadpole' (2 front/1 rear) and typically called a 'tad'. If you expect year round travels, the delta wins. It's also the rig of choice for safely hauling cargo. The EZ3 is a budget machine, but with its robust frame, readily accepts most standard bike parts. And if you need parts, nearly any LBS can order them from JB Importers. If you lose-out on the first, don't fret, they show up regularly on CL.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sun+e...FYiQ8wTdub2SBA
Old 03-31-12, 09:53 AM
Cyclebum

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe the EZ3 is just what you need for those short rides where weight(speed)is not a major consideration and a breakdown(unlikely)is not a catastrophic event. After all, a trike is just a frame with components hanging here and there, all replaceable. I'm into touring, so have a
different prospective.

BTW, thanks PaPa for explaining delta vs tadpole. Now all I gotta do is figure out a word association to remember the difference. I got it. D comes before T. Wonder how those two terms came into being relative to trikes?

Last edited by Cyclebum; 04-01-12 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-31-12, 04:01 PM
PaPa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclebum
Maybe the EZ3 is just what you need for those short rides where weight(speed)is not a major consideration...
Within reason, laden weight has little effect on speed on level ground - it certainly doesn't appear to inhibit Sam Whittingham pedaling a 60 pound HPV at over 80 MPH.

Wonder how those two terms came into being relative to trikes?
Delta = anything triangular, like the Greek capital delta (Δ). No clue why tadpole is used. Would seem logical to just use Atled instead of 'tadpole'
Old 03-31-12, 05:43 PM
Cyclebum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PaPa
Within reason, laden weight has little effect on speed on level ground
No argument there. Maybe the op's route qualifies. Mine sure don't. And wouldn't want them to. Miles of flats are boring, tedious, and tiring. No chance to coast.
Old 03-31-12, 06:24 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by PaPa
Delta = anything triangular, like the Greek capital delta (Δ). No clue why tadpole is used. Would seem logical to just use Atled instead of 'tadpole'
A tadpole is bulbous-shaped in front with a skinny tail. i.e. bigger in front than in back. Naming it after a male gamete might not go over as well; so 'tadpole' seems pretty safe.
Old 03-31-12, 09:00 PM
PaPa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
A tadpole is bulbous-shaped in front with a skinny tail. i.e. bigger in front than in back. Naming it after a male gamete might not go over as well; so 'tadpole' seems pretty safe.
I did look it up again just out curiosity when Cyclebum asked,... Then you chime-in. Here's TheFreeDictionary interpretation:

The limbless aquatic larva of a frog or toad, having gills and a long flat tail."

Indeed, there is some resemblance.
Old 04-01-12, 09:24 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1667 Post(s)
Liked 1,819 Times in 1,058 Posts
My step-daughter has an EZ3 which I've been known to take a spin on after I've done maintenance. For the rides you've outlined it will be fine.

Wonder how those two terms came into being relative to trikes?
Not sure, but trikes existed long before those terms were used.

delta-tadpole.jpg
Old 04-01-12, 01:06 PM
Cyclebum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tadpoles

Attached Images
Old 05-06-12, 10:57 AM
Tom Stormcrowe

A SUn EZ3 is sure long with a trailer attached.

Old 05-06-12, 09:04 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Was walking down the street Saturday and up came what looked to be a couple in their 60s, riding EZ-3s with fairings on them. Haven't seen many of those. They were motoring right along.
Old 05-07-12, 03:53 PM
Sayre Kulp 
Bulky Bullet

Bikes: Burley Koosah / RANS Zenetik Pro / Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first trike was a Sun EZ3. The only difference was I rode the HD (Heavy Duty) model. It had a higher weight limit (I weighed around 400 lbs. at the time.) It's a sturdy machine and at that price, I'd surely jump on it.