Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Seat recommendations?

Old 10-28-20, 10:12 AM
gravyface

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Seat recommendations?

So far, I've been enjoying my first foray into gravel biking on my Davinci Hatchet 105, which feels like a Ferrari compared to my old Rocky Mountain hybrid... but I do find the seat to be too hard, despite the gel.

My Rocky Mountain had a split seat, and not really sure what that was supposed to do, but presumably it allowed the seat to spread and absorb some of the weight... speaking of which, I'm 6'1" 195lbs, if that matters.

Really hoping to hit a century this winter if the snow holds up, but have a long way to go because I can usually cover about 20km in an hour of fairly aggressive riding (averaging 22 km/h) without stopping, which is usually a comfort issue vs. a fatigue issue.

Any seat recommendations? Budget not a concern here, this is my COVID-busting obsession this winter and I want to be comfortable.
Old 10-28-20, 10:47 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
If your only problem is that your seat is too hard, that problem will get better over time. If the only place that is sore is directly under your "sit bones" (sits, or ITs), then you may want to stick with your current saddle a bit longer. As a general rule, the farther you ride, the less padding you want.

What you do not want is a seat that rubs or puts pressure in sensitive areas.

If you can find a shop with a saddle library that will be a big help, but Covid may have severely limited the use of saddle libraries. I would plan on going through at least a few saddles long-term before you find one that works for you.
Old 10-28-20, 10:49 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Also, as to specific saddles, you will get as many opinions as there are saddles. Brooks saddles are a good place to start - both the leather and synthetic versions are highly respected.
Old 10-28-20, 10:50 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
I've been wearing cycling shorts (or a liner) with a chamois and using Brooks saddles for decades now. I have yet to find a padded seat that's a fraction as comfortable over the long haul.
Old 10-28-20, 11:19 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10929 Post(s)
Liked 7,434 Times in 4,163 Posts
Yeah...saddle is such an individual preference that while it can help to hear suggestions so you can start somewhere, its worthless to hear that I love saddle X so you should love it too.

Figure out if you like a wide or narrow saddle. Then figure out if you like a curved or flat top saddle. Everyone is different.

I swear by Brooks C17 saddles as they are comfortable for me right away and I dont think about the saddle on even the longest of rides. I have that on 3 bikes. The other saddle I have on a couple bikes is the Serfas RxRR in 160mm width.
Both of these saddles are relatively wide for road, with minimal(or no) padding. Those 2 things, for me, seem to be most important. Any saddle that is under 140mm wide is an ass hatchet and is miserable to ride for more than a few miles.

The Brooks Cambium(C#) saddles come in 13, 15, 17, and I think even 19. Each is a different width since we all like something different.
Old 10-28-20, 12:45 PM
gravyface

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks guys. I had a bit of a scare with some numbness in important man nether regions and chalked that up to Sax and the shorts riding up and compressing (and me being an idiot and "plowing through" instead of stopping and adjusting), so I want to make sure that I'm properly kitted-out down there. I'll have to look into bike shorts (and presumably leggings for longer rides). I thought they were just compression shorts.
Old 10-28-20, 12:57 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Selle Italia saddles for me.

I'm currently using the SLR Flow (Flow means it has the cutout) and it's super comfortable for long rides. It is an easy saddle to move around on also.

But if the SLR is too easy to move around on I would recommend the good ol' Selle Italia Flite. It has just a bit more of a curve to it allowing you to find that "pocket" to settle into while still giving you freedom to move around if needed.

Yes, cycling shorts with a chamois is a necessity. Personally I really only ride in bib shorts (or tights when its cooler) for total comfort.
Old 10-28-20, 01:44 PM
gravyface

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Whole new world out there... thanks again for the saddle (seat) tips and shorts/chamois.
Old 10-28-20, 01:55 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10929 Post(s)
Liked 7,434 Times in 4,163 Posts
Originally Posted by gravyface
Thanks guys. I had a bit of a scare with some numbness in important man nether regions and chalked that up to Sax and the shorts riding up and compressing (and me being an idiot and "plowing through" instead of stopping and adjusting), so I want to make sure that I'm properly kitted-out down there. I'll have to look into bike shorts (and presumably leggings for longer rides). I thought they were just compression shorts.
Yeah, cutouts an split saddles often advertise relief. Again, its all preference and there is no right or wrong.
The number of saddle shapes is seemingly endless and the options can get pretty dizzying.

As for short padding, look into bibs. They stay in place all the time(shorts fall thru leg motion and continued out of the saddle then sitting motion).
Cheap bibs are like cheap anything- they work well for a short time.
A couple suggestions- for common availability, Pearl Izumi's entry bibs. Or Black Bibs Plus bibs. Black Bibs is a small US brand- they have held up great and are comfortable for hours.
Old 10-28-20, 02:02 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3642 Post(s)
Liked 5,352 Times in 2,718 Posts
I like Terry saddles with the cut out. I had some numbness with several other styles. I also like a smooth surface, slide back and forth easily.
Old 10-28-20, 05:37 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
We sell Brooks, Selle An Atomica, Fabric, Fizik, Terry and a few other brands in our shop and have a 30 day saddle exchange. With just about everyone that has tried the Brooks and the Selle An Atomica, they pick the Selle An Atomica hands down. Brooks has a reputation that has lasted over a century, but I am seeing the newcomer as beating it out in side by side trials. The Selle has no pressure points; it has a hard surface but is flexible. And it breaks in on just a few rides. You have to keep it properly tensioned however but NOT OVER TENSIONED; do not try to make it as hard as a Brooks with the tensioner. If you go to the rando forum with all of the distance riders you will find the Selle An Atomica as a very popular seat among the more serious distance riders. And of course you will find lots of comments on other favorites as well.
Old 10-28-20, 06:25 PM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
With just about everyone that has tried the Brooks and the Selle An Atomica, they pick the Selle An Atomica hands down.
This. I have a Brooks B17 and was never pleased with it in long rides, even after many hundreds of miles of break-in. It got retired to my dedicated trainer bike which I rarely ride for over an hour or so.

The Selle Anatomica on the other hand was comfortable from the moment I sat on it. As you say, the main thing is to not have a lot of tension...the leather will overstretch. Ideally, it should have a bit of a “hammock” appearance.
Old 10-28-20, 06:56 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Here's what works for me: saddles with that "whale tail" kind of shape, where the back lifts up. The two saddles I use currently that fit this description are the WTB Volt (https://www.wtb.com/collections/narr.../products/volt) and Ergon SR (https://ergonbike.shop/products/ergon-sr-comp-men).
With this design, I get no pressure where I don't want it. I'm really just sort of perched up on my sit bones. And with the Ergon, the extra perineal channel is really ice--it's like nothing is making contact there at all hardly. Admittedly, I'm scrawny/skinny so there's not much meat there to begin with, but I'm sold on these kind of shapes. I would love a Brooks because of how cool they are, but man, I look at that shape, and I imagine all kinds of rubbing.
Old 10-29-20, 09:08 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Saddles are personal. I'm gonna guess that a little wider than what is on a traditional race bike may be best. Some of those are just too narrow for a long ride.

I think my Fizik Alante is probably my most comfortable.

Really, the Brooks B15 (leather) is the most comfortable because over time it has naturally molded to my sit bones, and is just right (just not light). The C15 (rubber) on the other hand is not comfortable for me at all (maybe I should have gotten the one with the cutout).
I have an ergon also. Took a little getting used to (flat top, flared out much more forward than normal saddles) but was fine once I got used to it. I'm not gonna get any perineum pressure on that seat.
Old 10-29-20, 07:55 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by KJ43
Selle Italia saddles for me.

I'm currently using the SLR Flow (Flow means it has the cutout) and it's super comfortable for long rides. It is an easy saddle to move around on also.

But if the SLR is too easy to move around on I would recommend the good ol' Selle Italia Flite. It has just a bit more of a curve to it allowing you to find that "pocket" to settle into while still giving you freedom to move around if needed.

Yes, cycling shorts with a chamois is a necessity. Personally I really only ride in bib shorts (or tights when its cooler) for total comfort.
i think you got it other way around, the SLR is waved shaped while the Flite is pan flat
Old 10-29-20, 08:48 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelsmcgee
This. I have a Brooks B17 and was never pleased with it in long rides, even after many hundreds of miles of break-in. It got retired to my dedicated trainer bike which I rarely ride for over an hour or so.

The Selle Anatomica on the other hand was comfortable from the moment I sat on it. As you say, the main thing is to not have a lot of tension...the leather will overstretch. Ideally, it should have a bit of a “hammock” appearance.
With the SA I kind of forget there is a seat thee actually. I used to always fidget and be thinking about it and what I needed to do to get comfortable. Honestly the only time I think about seats anymore is when someone asks about them here. I own 3 and my first is 7 years old and on the third frame...
Old 10-29-20, 10:02 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by Chi_Z
i think you got it other way around, the SLR is waved shaped while the Flite is pan flat
I'm just speaking from my personal experience. The SLR is my current saddle and there is nothing "waved" shaped about it. I've owned, and ridden for many miles, both saddles.

Now the Flite I rode was some years ago so it's possible they changed the shape to flatten the current version. Also, the Flite is a narrower saddle, but the SLR is a very flat saddle.

Last edited by KJ43; 10-29-20 at 10:11 PM.