Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Entry Level Road Bike, Need opinions

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-12, 02:30 PM
iamdro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I live about 3.5 Miles away from work on a single road, and lately my commute has been over 30 minutes because of traffic. I feel like I can get home quicker, and get a workout if I start riding my bike to work. I however tend to be impulsive, So I don't want to spend too much money on a bike that I might barely ever use. At the same time, I don't want to get a bike that will deter me from cycling.

I found this Bike on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Road-...pr_product_top

Aluminum Road Bike / Commuter Bike Shimano 21 Speed 700c
And for the price it seems pretty good, but I'm wondering what the catch might be. I understand it's not the best, but I hear the frame is pretty decent, I figure If I really enjoy riding, that I can upgrade some of the parts. Can anyone tell me what they think of this bike? Or does anyone know of a better one for the price range. I've scoured through craigslist but I haven't found anything good.
I'm 5'6.5 and live in Maryland/ DC and I am very handy. I want a road bike because I think they are a lot more fun to ride over a hybrid.
Old 12-01-12, 02:36 PM
surfer777

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm by no means an expert, but from what I've gleaned in the past year or so about road bikes is that if you are going to buy new and potentially plan on upgrading, you'll wanna spend at least $1000. You can get a solid bike that won't need upgrading for between $1000-1500. BUT...if you just wanna ride for fun and aren't too serious about it, I imagine the bike on amazon is probably fine. Check craigslist too if you wanna go used. But again, I'm not expert...just a regular guy, so what do I know...
Old 12-01-12, 02:40 PM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
I would check bikesdirect.com before I would buy that. I picked up a $400 bike from there that was pretty good about 4 years ago. My buddy is riding it now.
Old 12-01-12, 03:00 PM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by iamdro
I've scoured through craigslist but I haven't found anything good.
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...448286235.html
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/m...447613355.html
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/d...446508134.html
Old 12-01-12, 03:04 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I could practically guarantee you that any brand new multi-geared bike that costs less than $300, is most probably made of very cheap and unreliable components. That spells future mechanical failure and possible physical detriment to you as a cyclist, personally.

Since, you're only traveling less than 4 miles on the average, perhaps a brand new single speed would be more advisable. Single speeds typically are less expensive, require less maintenance, and therefore, are usually much more reliable at that price point.

Since most cyclists here at BF have more than one bike, you'll just fit right in, with this new commuter bike being a single speed, that will add to your next genuine road bike...

I would recommend the following for starters:
(In this order)

1) The Nekkid 2 Single Speed

2) The Nekkid 4 Single Speed

3) The SE Premium Ale Single Speed

4) The Nashbar Argyle Single Speed

5) The Nashbar Hounder Single Speed

www.nashbar.com/bikes/SubCategory_10053_10052_202614_-1__202339

PS.

Most decent entry level road bikes now cost about $1000

Most decent hybrids cost about $500

* Of course, buying online is always cheaper...

Last edited by SlimRider; 12-01-12 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-01-12, 03:08 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
You don't want to go too cheap. You can get a more solidly built and better equipped used bike on Craigslist. If the bike works poorly or parts break quickly, you definitely won't use it much. And check your local bike shop. You might be able to get a good year end close out on much better bike than the one above. Haven't looked lately, but last year at this time my bike shop had a decent Fuji on sale for $300.
Old 12-01-12, 03:22 PM
iamdro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This bike is intriguing, (It wasn't up when I posted) would this be better than the bike off amazon?
Old 12-01-12, 03:27 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This bike is intriguing, (It wasn't up when I posted) would this be better than the bike off amazon?
That's much better!

If it fits, grab it!....But only if it's a perfect fit!
Old 12-01-12, 03:30 PM
iamdro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimRider
That's much better!

If it fits, grab it!....But only if it's a perfect fit!
Email sent, can I ask why it's better? Also, this Forum is awesome.
Old 12-01-12, 03:33 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Email sent, can I ask why it's better? Also, this Forum is awesome.
Well first of all, it's a Cannondale. Secondly, it has excellent componentry (provided that the components are in good condition). It doesn't look abused from what I can see (which happens to be virtually very little)...

Looks like your cassette is rusted, though!

I think older Cannondales rode kinda rough, as I recall...

Whatever condition its in, it's still a far cry better than that Amazon bike you presented at first.

Last edited by SlimRider; 12-01-12 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-01-12, 03:44 PM
iamdro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 5'7 with an inseam of 30.5" Is a 55cm frame going to be too big?
Old 12-01-12, 03:45 PM
echotraveler

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The components on the amazon bike are CRAP!

Id go to the LBS and tell them your budget, see what they can do for you. If they cant offer you a bike at least try to get measured to get an idea of the bike size you should buy.

If that doesn't work try bikes direct IMO they seem pretty solid and decently equipped. (i don't own one, but have seen many fixies from them)

3rd option USED...if you're new to road bike it's not recommended since you cant detect some important issues. (for example, a good friend bought a very nice steel frame, that had a shut headset, stuck seatpost, rusted out chain, rotted tires, untrue wheels. Things an experienced cyclist looks for in autopilot, and use to negotiate on price. My friend payed 200.00, and when i told him how much he had to spend around 100.00 on the cheap side he re-sold the bike for 175.00 and took the loss....his not riding a bike)
Old 12-01-12, 03:46 PM
ChrisCar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On that Cannondale, anyone else notice the dent on the chain stay?
Also, when you go check it out, make sure you KNOW it fits. When I bought my first bike I thought it was a good fit but ended up buying a bike too small. Look for what frame size you take for your height, or go to your bike shop and they can tell you.
Also, Make sure all the mechanical parts rotate smoothly and the the tires are not in too bad of shape.
Old 12-01-12, 03:53 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisCar
Also, when you go check it out, make sure you KNOW it fits. When I bought my first bike I thought it was a good fit but ended up buying a bike too small. Look for what frame size you take for your height, or go to your bike shop and they can tell you.
Also, Make sure all the mechanical parts rotate smoothly and the the tires are not in too bad of shape.
Correction:

I think that most probably is NOT a dent, afterall! However, the cassette does look kinda rusted.
Old 12-01-12, 03:56 PM
echotraveler

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am 5'7 with an inseam of 30.5" Is a 55cm frame going to be too big?
your probably around 53 (im also 5'7'' with 30.7 iseam, and ride 52), most bikes i've tried have a 52 seatube, but have a 53.7 top tube, so you need to pay attention to that.

LBS route seems like the better deal. Most LBS's offer maintenance for a year, some for life....thats worth a lot money on the long run...

slim pointed out a couple of nice single speeds. for the kind of riding your planning on doing a SS seems fair, low maintenance, low cost, simple.
Old 12-01-12, 04:14 PM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimRider
Correction:

I think that most probably is NOT a dent, afterall! However, the cassette does look kinda rusted.
I don't think it's a dent either. Those Cannondale frames are just shaped like that. I believe the opposite side has it, too.
Old 12-01-12, 04:16 PM
koolerb

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisCar
Not a dent, that's supposed to be there. If everything works that's a great bike, offer $125.

Don't buy that piece of crap from Amazon. If you wan new at the lowest possible price bikesdirect.com is tough to beat.
Old 12-01-12, 04:17 PM
iamdro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Single Speed does sound like a decent Idea, When I was younger I tended to only use like 3 gears anyway, but i'm worried I'll regret not having gears. But I guess If i get to that point i'd be more serious about it and raise my budget. Are there any good single speeds on amazon? (It doesn't have to be amazon but I have a $50 gift card)
Old 12-01-12, 04:29 PM
iamdro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've emailed a few people today, the only response i've gotten is about this bike? Can any of you guys tell what it is from the picture? The only information I could get out of him was that it weighed about 30lbs, which seems very heavy.https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/d...447873408.html
Old 12-01-12, 04:39 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Single Speed does sound like a decent Idea, When I was younger I tended to only use like 3 gears anyway, but i'm worried I'll regret not having gears. But I guess If i get to that point i'd be more serious about it and raise my budget. Are there any good single speeds on amazon? (It doesn't have to be amazon but I have a $50 gift card)
I can guarantee you that you'd never regret buying a really decent single speed. The best single speed deal is online at performancebike.com. It's called the Fuji Declaration @ $450. Of course, there's the Scattante Americano 1 @ $400 too!

PS.

A brand new single speed will fit you perfectly and it will come with a warranty. You will not be taking any chances, or paying for something that you'll regret buying later. You'll get free adjustments too!

Last edited by SlimRider; 12-01-12 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-01-12, 04:40 PM
iamdro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And I've received and email from this guy https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/m...447613355.html but $300 seems really steep, especially compared to that other cannondale.
Old 12-01-12, 04:48 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And I've received and email from this guy https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/m...447613355.html but $300 seems really steep, especially compared to that other cannondale.

Looks better than that old blue Cannondale for sure!

I don't think it looks $300 better, though!
Old 12-01-12, 04:51 PM
iamdro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about this single speed? https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/m...448477841.html It looks like I could switch it back to more gears easily later on if I decide to. I've heard good things about the made in japan fujis.
Old 12-01-12, 05:01 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about this single speed? https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/m...448477841.html It looks like I could switch it back to more gears easily later on if I decide to. I've heard good things about the made in japan fujis.
First of all, the pics upside down!

However, for $100, you can't go too far wrong!

OTOH, if it doesn't fit, we're just spinning our wheels....

Trust me...What you save in fuel bills by cycling, will more than pay for a brand new single speed in just a few months.

You're going to have to upgrade that old Fuji, anyway (if it fits). That will cost money, too!

Just get one of the single speeds that I've already suggested. It beats buying any of those old Cannondales, because it will be brand new with a warranty.
Old 12-01-12, 05:11 PM
iamdro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, looking at the site you gave me the Argyle is only $200 while the nekid 2 and 4 are $100 more, can you tell me what the difference is between the 3?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.