Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

2008 Jamis Aurora Elite - it it worth $1035?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

2008 Jamis Aurora Elite - it it worth $1035?

Old 12-01-12, 05:30 AM
samson_tw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2008 Jamis Aurora Elite - is it worth $1035?

I've located a 2008 Jamis Aurora Elite that looks new. The shop is asking $1035. This seems like a lot, but my location does not have a lot of touring bikes in my size.

Is this worth pursuing or should I try to source a newer model?

Thanks!

M-

link to bike

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
gif.jpeg (84.3 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by samson_tw; 12-01-12 at 07:01 AM. Reason: link
Old 12-01-12, 07:57 AM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
I have no idea what a new bike goes for in your area or what the used market is. That isn't new but it is in good shape. 25% off new would be a good price assuming the shop includes a standard free tuneup in x days, but again I don't know what are common shop policies are where you live.
Old 12-01-12, 06:26 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Seems a bit steep for the age, I think you could get a nice used tourer cheaper or a new one for barely more. IE current Novarra Randonee is $1200, new Aurora Elite about $1600 plus you get disc brakes. Auroras seem a bit more aimed at credit card touring; clearances look too tight for fat tires; highish gearing; a reviewer liked the 631-tubed frame but thinks it's perhaps a bit flexy for loaded touring.
Old 12-01-12, 06:44 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 241 Posts
Whoever rode the bike with the seat that high needs a 56c or 57 size.
Old 12-02-12, 12:47 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the bike is truly new (and doesn't just "look" new), and not a used 2008 Aurora Elite, I'd say buy it as is for $800 OTD!

However, that's only if you get a warranty and all of the amenities that anyone else would be entitled to, if purchasing a new bike from that same establishment.

OTOH, If it is used, then the shop should be willing to sell the bike for $500 OTD.

If they remain firm on the price, then agree to the asking price, provided that they install Avid BB7 disc brakes and the appropriate chromoly steel fork, just like what's on the 2012 model.

PS.

* It originally sold for $1350 five years ago.

* The 2013 goes for like $1650...

Edited Version

Last edited by SlimRider; 12-03-12 at 04:58 AM.
Old 12-02-12, 04:50 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimRider
If the bike is truly new (and doesn't just "look" new), and not a used 2008 Aurora Elite, I'd say try to bargain for $950 OTD!

However, that's only if you get a warranty and all of the amenities that anyone else would be entitled to, if purchasing a new bike from that same establishment.

If they remain firm on the price, then agree to the price, provided that they install Avid BB7 disc brakes, just like what's on the 2012 model.

Even if you provide the disc brakes and have them install them free of charge (and included in the warranty), it would still be worth it!

PS.

* It originally sold for $1350 five years ago.

* The 2013 goes for like $1650...
That bike is not designed to have disc brakes, a carbon fork and steel frame not designed for disc brakes would be a dangerous combination. If I were selling that bike I would never agree to that.

I don't think that bike is worth $1000 but that me. It does look like it was upgraded to a leather saddle and comes with a rack and pedals which the original didn't have, so it may be worth the money if you are going to use the saddle and pedals.
Old 12-02-12, 05:08 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Nah , stuff like carbon forks is not going to take a front rack.. overgeared..
Old 12-03-12, 04:44 AM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclist2000

That bike is not designed to have disc brakes, a carbon fork and steel frame not designed for disc brakes would be a dangerous combination. If I were selling that bike I would never agree to that.
I missed that the first time around...

Whoever heard of a CF fork for a touring bike, before. That's just plain crazy!

I don't think that bike is worth $1000 but that's me. It does look like it was upgraded to a leather saddle and comes with a rack and pedals which the original didn't have, so it may be worth the money if you are going to use the saddle and pedals.
Oh Yeah..

Well they can take that rack and saddle right back off of that 2008 Aurora Elite and make the required Avid BB 7 disc brake modifications, complete with a 2012/2013 stock disc-brake ready chromoly steel fork, in order to close the deal, for the current asking price. Otherwise, they can just forget it!

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Nah , stuff like carbon forks is not going to take a front rack.. overgeared..

Alright then, in that case, have the shop completely modify the 2008 Aurora Elite, by replacing the fork with a brand new disc-brake-ready 2012/2013 chromoly steel fork, complete with BB 7 disc brakes. You then pay the asking price. Otherwise, the bike goes as is for no more than $800 OTD.

Last edited by SlimRider; 12-03-12 at 05:07 AM.
Old 12-03-12, 06:21 AM
staehpj1

Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by LeeG
25% off new would be a good price assuming the shop includes a standard free tuneup in x days, but again I don't know what are common shop policies are where you live.
That sounds pretty high to me; 25% off of new is close enough to new that I would just buy a new bike. I usually figure that I'll pass on anything over 60% of new price for used.
Old 12-03-12, 06:28 AM
staehpj1

Whoever heard of a CF fork for a touring bike, before. That's just plain crazy!
I guess I am just plain crazy then. I set up the bike I used to do the Southern Tier with a carbon fork. It was a rebuilt 1990-ish Cannondale crit bike that had a broken aluminum fork. It worked out great. Granted it was for ultralight touring with a 14 pound base gear weight (camping and cooking with mostly UL backpacking stuff), but it would also work fine with a heavier, but still fairly light load. I found the bike to be a delight to ride on that tour.
Old 12-03-12, 06:39 AM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I guess I am just plain crazy then. I set up the bike I used to do the Southern Tier with a carbon fork. It was a rebuilt 1990-ish Cannondale crit bike that had a broken aluminum fork. It worked out great. Granted it was for ultralight touring with a 14 pound base gear weight (camping and cooking with mostly UL backpacking stuff), but it would also work fine with a heavier, but still fairly light load. I found the bike to be a delight to ride on that tour.
Alright then, we'll make an exception in your case, my friend...

You're clearly not crazy!

A CF fork on a touring bike, might be alright for credit card touring for the weekend. However, for long distance touring for more than just a few days, your bike will most likely be loaded to the max.
Old 12-03-12, 09:13 AM
samson_tw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for the feedback. Turns our the bike is a 52, which will not suit my 180cm. A shame because I think they would like to get it off the floor.

Who knew it would be so hard to find a nice bike that fits me in... Taiwan.

I have been offered a 2011 Masi Randonneur for a decent price. It's a good looking bike, but a bit of a tank. I'm not sure how I feel about the downtube shifters.
Old 12-03-12, 10:46 AM
staehpj1

I'll apologize in advance for nit picking a bit but...

You're clearly not crazy!
I wouldn't be so sure of that

A CF fork on a touring bike, might be alright for credit card touring for the weekend. However, for long distance touring for more than just a few days, your bike will most likely be loaded to the max.
It may be true that the majority of tourists pack pretty heavy, but lighter weight touring is becoming more and more common. Going light doesn't necessarily equate with short tours. I find that tour length has very little to do with packing style. Also, I don't do tours shorter than 10 days or so and I usually tend to go for at least a few weeks. That said if I did want to do a weekend tour I'd carry pretty much the same stuff I do when going coast to coast.