Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

stop me from buying a windsor fens! aka what else can I get for $699?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

stop me from buying a windsor fens! aka what else can I get for $699?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-12, 04:26 AM
dinobyte
I'm a roadrunner baby

Bikes: I HAVE 13 BIKES and two of them are cool

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well I hope the knight stays on sale, because I just broke my stupid macbook pro and I'm waiting for a new LCD panel to come in the mail... if I can install it properly and it works then I can go ahead with the bike, gotta make sure this laptop situation is taken care of.

I like the looks of that diamondback. Totally a viable option if one were opposed to bikes direct.

I went and felt up a bunch of bikes at a local shop, the 105 and ultegra are very very similar but the ultegra seemed to shift with shorter motions and less effort. I bought some rock and roll chain lube, so at least I bought something.
They had a bike with the new Sora 3500, and it looks exactly like the new tiagra, just black and 9spd. And it has plastic levers instead of aluminum. They aren't blowing out old bikes with 3400 yet, (like say, a trek or cannondale) but even if they were, they'd still cost over $700...
Old 12-03-12, 05:34 AM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why purchase a bike before Xmas?

....That's just crazy!

Wait until after Xmas when you know you'll get much better deals!

PS.

I predict that after Xmas, Diamondback is going to be practically giving those Podiums away!

Last edited by SlimRider; 12-03-12 at 06:25 AM.
Old 12-03-12, 03:01 PM
buffalowings

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimRider
Why purchase a bike before Xmas?

....That's just crazy!

Wait until after Xmas when you know you'll get much better deals!

PS.

I predict that after Xmas, Diamondback is going to be practically giving those Podiums away!

You sure about that prediction? Jenson USA has a podium 2 for $499 and I'm seriously tempted...https://www.jensonusa.com/Diamondback...2-Road-Bike-12
man..i'm reallly tempted ;_; $499

Last edited by buffalowings; 12-03-12 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-03-12, 05:56 PM
koolerb

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by buffalowings
You sure about that prediction? Jenson USA has a podium 2 for $499 and I'm seriously tempted...https://www.jensonusa.com/Diamondback...2-Road-Bike-12
+1

That's a super deal.
Old 12-03-12, 06:00 PM
Genaro

Bikes: Motobecane Immortal Force

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I don't need a bike, but if I had the $$ I would be all over this $499 podium.
Old 12-03-12, 06:09 PM
buffalowings

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=koolerb;15012013]+1

That's a super deal.[/QUOTE
I pulled the trigger on the 52 cm frame, for $525 with oversized shipping costs for a 10 speed tiagra equipped bike was too good to ignore, saw the same bike just yesterday for $670 and the women specific for $600. Only negative I can see is the crankset (granted the gossamer/omega doesn't get stellar reviews either, a seat that already looks uncomfortable, and trektro brakes. I can live with the crankset, the seat is a quick fix, and the brakes just need some kool stops. 52cm should be just the right size, I'm around 5ft 5. I didn't choose the frame size blindly. Compared frame specs with bikes from the lbs, btw, the fram size is standard 52=52cm.

Last edited by buffalowings; 12-03-12 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-04-12, 03:16 AM
dinobyte
I'm a roadrunner baby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm seeing it @$650, was it a one day sale? Congrats on the purchase, its a smart looking bike!
Old 12-04-12, 10:19 AM
Genaro

Bikes: Motobecane Immortal Force

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Yeah, I don't see it anymore either. I would call them and ask if they would extend it one day for you if you're ready to pull the trigger. Tell them you broke the screen on your macbook pro and couldn't order it
Old 12-04-12, 02:41 PM
dinobyte
I'm a roadrunner baby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
heh those bastards. I'm about to use a hair drier and suction cup to pry out my screen's glass covering and get inside it's guts. You should see a macbook pro screen replacement sometime, it's more art than science.

Should I really wait until after christmas for a new bike? I can wait, I guess. I'd hate to miss out on this ultegra bike for $799.
Old 12-04-12, 03:23 PM
seymour1910

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
[QUOTE=buffalowings;15012062]
Originally Posted by koolerb
+1

That's a super deal.[/QUOTE
I pulled the trigger on the 52 cm frame, for $525 with oversized shipping costs for a 10 speed tiagra equipped bike was too good to ignore, saw the same bike just yesterday for $670 and the women specific for $600. Only negative I can see is the crankset (granted the gossamer/omega doesn't get stellar reviews either, a seat that already looks uncomfortable, and trektro brakes. I can live with the crankset, the seat is a quick fix, and the brakes just need some kool stops. 52cm should be just the right size, I'm around 5ft 5. I didn't choose the frame size blindly. Compared frame specs with bikes from the lbs, btw, the fram size is standard 52=52cm.
Congrats on the bike, when you get delivery be sure to take some good DRIVE SIDE pics and share.
Old 12-04-12, 03:44 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
If you've got the money now and could commit to that DB deal, I would call and talk to them. Tell them that you are planning on a BD bike, but saw their deal one day too late. Ask them if they'll give it to you anyway. THEY WANT YOUR MONEY! If not, you're not out anything.
Old 12-11-12, 05:51 PM
buffalowings

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The podium 2 came today and I can safely say I feel the same sexual attraction I had towards the Giant defy 1 when I set eyes upon it.
Old 12-11-12, 08:31 PM
seymour1910

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
The podium 2 came today and I can safely say I feel the same sexual attraction I had towards the Giant defy 1 when I set eyes upon it.
So, how long do we have to wait to see said Podium?
Old 12-12-12, 04:29 PM
dinobyte
I'm a roadrunner baby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh yeah lets see it! Does the frame have a matte coated finish?
Old 12-12-12, 06:25 PM
buffalowings

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll have to borrow a friends camera, college budget could barely afford the bike, let alone a camera :/
The finish is actually gloss black, matte black appears to only apply to the podium 3>
Biked to the lbs today to buy some spare tubes, the derailleurs were still off even after I tried adjusting last night so I asked the mechanic if he could help me, the bike was obviously new and bought from another seller but he told me to put it on the workstand and did his magic. I thought the front derailleur was off but it turns out it was the rear and if I shifted to the lower gears, I would have thrown the chain into the spokes. The seat is crap, it needs to go asap, according to my roommate who tried the bike, the seat felt like it was "going into his ass"..I already knew it was uncomfortable... The frame and crankset are plenty stiff, and I doubt any average rider can feel it flex, unless they are seriously stomp. Although it looks really stylish in my eyes, it's no female magnet..nor does it have a backseat for steam generating activities
Old 12-12-12, 06:35 PM
seymour1910

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I don't have a camera either so I understand. I don't have one just cause I don't want one though. Again congrats on the bike glad you got the shifting fixed. Well put it in the best lit area you can and see how a cell phone pic comes out.
Old 12-13-12, 12:00 AM
buffalowings

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike is very responsive to rider input (a bit too much at times actually) Feels a bit too twitchy when I'm accelerating quickly from a standing stop, DB advertises the frame as a Enhanced performance geometry design,supposedly closer to a comfort roadbike, but the wheelbase puts it straight in the "race" category,next to the specialized allez etc. Used my laptop's camera, I have mounted a bottle cage, a storage pouch underneath the top tube for essential tools, and a frame pump in place of a second bottle cage, Shimano A530 pedals, and Pearl Izumi All roads which are just bit too narrow in the toebox region for my right foot only.. hmmm so I'm exchanging them for the next size up.

And the cateye velo 9 cycling computer is coming in tomorrow. Even though it's an undisputed fact that i have the worst fashion sense/clothing..at least I have the swankiest bike in the entire dorm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Snapshot_20121213_3.jpg (100.5 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by buffalowings; 12-13-12 at 12:15 AM.