Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Oma and I biked in the rain!!!! Yay:)

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 01-09-18, 11:41 PM
freckles

Bikes: BF NWT, Tern Short Haul

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

i've been a fair weather bicycle commuter for the last several years, which is most of the year considering the record droughts in los angeles for many years.

on the few occasional rains, i either elected to walk or drove(last resort) since my last bike's brakes did NOTHING close to braking on the one occasion i was running errands during a tiny sprinkle.... i think i fred flintstones stopped and jumped off.

plus the one time, a long time ago going to college, downhill in the rain when a car pulled out without looking and i slammed on my brakes while steering away from the car, fell off and skidded further into the road, skinning my whole left side, ptsd/fun times.

but with my oma oh my god, i rode in the rain again after such a long while and it was brilliant sweet cool breeze, light to moderate rain and glorious braking!!!!

don't know about a total downpour now but in the light rain, it was totally sweet!
Old 01-10-18, 08:20 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Disc brakes. They are a game changer in the rain and mud. They work just as well wet.

I thought they were a novelty when I bought my latest ride. The first rain ride I had....holy smoke. It's not a gimmick. Disc brakes over rim brakes in the rain no contest.
Old 01-10-18, 09:42 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
I have mid 80s Gazelle of the exact same style with coaster brakes. These brakes always work. No matter on how wet it is. However I need to overhaul the coaster brake on mine since it seems to be all gued up. I think it never got serviced in the past 30 years. These bikes are sturdy. Great for running errands around town.
Old 01-10-18, 11:58 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5989 Post(s)
Liked 954 Times in 728 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
Disc brakes. They are a game changer in the rain and mud. They work just as well wet.
Drum brakes probably, on an Azor Oma.
Old 01-10-18, 12:03 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Congrats. Just be aware that with the first rain after a long dry spell: 1) the oil and other liquids that leak from cars seeps up to the surface and can make the road super slick; 2) drivers absolutely lose their minds and forget everything they knew about driving in the rain from last winter.
Old 01-11-18, 07:01 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Harhir
I have mid 80s Gazelle of the exact same style with coaster brakes. These brakes always work. No matter on how wet it is.
As reliable as coaster brakes are, they are limited to the rear wheel. A front brake is more effective owing to weight transfer to the front during hard braking. It's good to have both!
Steve
Old 01-12-18, 09:31 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
As reliable as coaster brakes are, they are limited to the rear wheel. A front brake is more effective owing to weight transfer to the front during hard braking. It's good to have both!
Steve
I know. The bike I have has front rim brakes and rear coaster brakes. I would not want a bike with one set of brakes only.
Old 01-12-18, 02:12 PM
wernst

Bikes: 86 Nishiki Olympic Sport, 87 KHS Montana Team, 06 Dahon Mariner

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Cool-Stop Salmon pads are amazingly good in the rain. Not as great as disks, sure, but a dramatic improvement over anything else. Every wet-weather commuter with rim brakes should have them.
Old 01-12-18, 02:15 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Phase 1 is riding

Phase 2) riding in the rain.

Phase 3) Snow

Phase 4) Snow and below zero F temps.

You're moving up

edit: you probably don't get much phase 3 or 4 in Cali. Perhaps we can substitute mudslides or wildfires for you?
Old 01-12-18, 04:12 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
I've never quite understood the aversion so many people have to riding in the rain. It's not like they're afraid of taking a shower. Well, not the vast majority anyway

Old 01-12-18, 07:53 PM
Hatchet

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Congrats on the fun time riding in the rain. As Alfred Wainwright said: “There's no such thing as bad weather, only unsuitable clothing.”
Old 01-13-18, 06:27 PM
freckles

Bikes: BF NWT, Tern Short Haul

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by wernst
Cool-Stop Salmon pads are amazingly good in the rain. Not as great as disks, sure, but a dramatic improvement over anything else. Every wet-weather commuter with rim brakes should have them.
yup, they're on my old english steel but still ended up not really stopping, could be dirty rims and slick road... was just starting to sprinkle. fellow cyclist recommended to "pump" the brakes to throw off water but by then, i was too skittish to try it again.

its back to being warm dry and sunny again, in january.

but it was such a cool feeling to ride in the rain, passing people trapped in their cars, totally like being a kid again

"baptismal" is how a bike obsessed co worker describes feeling when riding in the rain.

anyways, just wanted to share
Old 01-13-18, 08:54 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by freckles
yup, they're on my old english steel but still ended up not really stopping, could be dirty rims and slick road... was just starting to sprinkle.
Old enough to have steel rims? There's a marked difference between steel and aluminum rims in wet weather.
Old 01-14-18, 08:04 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,657 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by freckles
yup, they're on my old english steel but still ended up not really stopping, could be dirty rims and slick road... was just starting to sprinkle. fellow cyclist recommended to "pump" the brakes to throw off water but by then, i was too skittish to try it again.

its back to being warm dry and sunny again, in january.

but it was such a cool feeling to ride in the rain, passing people trapped in their cars, totally like being a kid again

"baptismal" is how a bike obsessed co worker describes feeling when riding in the rain.

anyways, just wanted to share
steel rims are pretty much impossible when its wet with caliper brakes. good aluminum rims and any decent brake pad are quite effective in the rain. this year i have been humbled a bit by the snow. it seems that deep snow makes my cantis fairly lame. gotta work them really hard once snow builds up. of course i am not going real fast by then either.

btw, any riding anywhere is cool as hell!